AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Casting Out, The - The Casting Out!!! Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 7.5
Production 7.25
Creativity 5.25
Lasting Value 6
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 70%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 6
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 9
Average: 77%

Casting Out, The - The Casting Out!!!

Reviewed by: Chris Fallon (09/03/10)
The Casting Out - The Casting Out!!!
Record Label: Eyeball Records
Release Date: August 3, 2010

Who?
Melodic hardcore punk from Delaware, in the same vein as Samiam and Jawbreaker. Nathan Gray, former vocalist for post-hardcore legends Boysetsfire, takes on a new approach this time around, contributing his lavish vocals to a band that is lighter in both sound, style and context.

How is it?
It might take fans of Nathan Gray's vocals some time to adjust to his new surroundings, but it all works. With production from another ex-BSF member (Chad Istvan), it's a tad surreal to see these guys tackling more lighthearted melodic material (although, hey, Boysetsfire played with such formula a bit on their 2003 effort Tomorrow Comes Today). On the Casting Out's second full-length album (and first for Eyeball Records), the band has to set themselves apart from two separate entities: Boysetsfire and the current outpouring of punk bands scattered about.

How do they do? Adequately. The album is by no means a masterpiece, but it presents 11 tracks that see Gray having fun lyrically and still impressing with his dynamic vocal range ("...Say It" is particularly noteworthy). However, the low-key production is rather disappointing, only because it fails to properly cater to the talents of Gray and his rhythm section, Lee Dickerson & Pat Cook. Gray is drowned out in some songs, overwhelmed by a rawer approach to the recording. When he gets the chance to center in on his harmonic threats, it pays off big time. Heavy on bass with production elements sounding vastly similar to early Samiam, it squanders the opportunity to let Gray truly shine. Still a work in process, upbeat numbers like "The Kids Have Spoken?" have the sense to zero in on the good time bravado the band aims for. "One More Time (With Feeling)" is Ben Weasel meets Small Brown Bike, and "Run Like Hell" is rapidly-paced aggressive pop-punk. The Casting Out are undeniably rich on ideas and it shows that they have melodic potential - but judging by all 33 minutes, it feels as if the band is still the process of adjusting to their new comfort zone.

Recommended if You LikeSamiam; Small Brown Bike; Jawbreaker; The Replacements; Superchunk
Choice Cuts"...Say It," "One More Time (With Feeling)" and "Run Like Hell"

Online VitalsOfficial Site | Official Myspace | Official Facebook | Official Twitter

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
04:10 AM on 09/03/10
Gin
What'd those animals say to ya?
User Info.
I liked their debut more and the rough production (vocals are so low compared to the instruments) annoys me a bit. But there are some great tracks on the record, like "All The Best" (incredibly catchy) and "Before We Die", so it' s still a solid album imo.

Is the record really called "The Casting Out!!!"?
My Itunes says it's called "1" and the "1" is highlighted on the disc-print.
04:58 AM on 09/03/10
serenab1221
User Info.
DELAWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There pretty much the best band we have here. Them and Sky vs. Sea. Thanks for the exposure lol.
06:36 AM on 09/03/10
Jacktheskipper
Coffeebreath & Heartache
User Info.
I really like the songs on here, but also think the production drowns the vocals way too much and is a little muddy ... it really takes away from the songs, but all in all this is a really good album!
07:11 AM on 09/03/10
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
User Info.
I'm pretty much agreeing with everyone else here. The songwriting remains top-notch, but the production feels a bit lackluster compared to the previous record. It all sounds a smidge "muddy." Maybe that's the sound they were going for, maybe it's all they could afford, who knows. Either way - I'll be spinning this one for a while!

While I'm not so sure that they sound like many of the bands referenced, aesthetically and philosophically it's dead-on and the band should certainly appeal to all of the fans!
08:03 AM on 09/03/10
jasonisasleep
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I just listened to The Day The Sun Went Out and saw this review. I haven't heard this album yet, but I imagine from the descriptions that the production is somewhat like the production on The Day The Sun Went Out...maybe, am I close?
08:05 AM on 09/03/10
mybreakingpoint
User Info.
Good review. You convinced me. Downloading now.
08:59 AM on 09/03/10
ACA
Next Show: Braid/GreatBigPileLeaves
User Info.
Good review. You convinced me. Downloading now.
Saw them last year -- good live.
01:50 PM on 09/06/10
Frakattack
Hell, it's about thyme.
User Info.
It's like they're channeling Boysetsfire at the end of Heaven Knows. I love it.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests