AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
NOFX - The Longest EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship N/A
Lyrics N/A
Production 0.25
Creativity 0.25
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Final Verdict: 3%
Member Ratings
Production 7
Creativity 6.63
Lasting Value 6.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Average: 75%
Inside AP.net

NOFX - The Longest EP

Reviewed by: Chris Fallon (09/03/10)
NOFX - The Longest EP
Record Label: Fat Wreck Chords
Release Date: August 17, 2010

Who?
Listen, if you don't know who NOFX is by now... chances are you don't give a shit. The band has been around longer than most members of this very website, and well, things haven't really changed a whole lot since then. For those who like frank punk rock with plenty of good melody and a dark sense of humor... these are the four guys from San Francisco you'll want to spend some time with.

How is it?
As far as compilations go, this is a nice one to grab if you're a NOFX completist. The album is 30 songs long, coming in just over an hour - so it's not really an EP by itself, but more a bunch of them put together. It literally comprises every EP the band has released, not to mention songs from their 7" of the Month club from years back and even rarities, bonus tracks and well... pretty much every song fans have scattered around on their iPods, but now in one nifty collection.

While it isn't in any particular order (the band's 1987 EP, The P.M.R.C. Can Suck on This, makes up the comp's last five songs), it's cool to hear a bunch of random tracks all together. The classic EPs The Longest Line and Cokie the Clown are paired together with album b-sides like "My Name is Bud" and "I've Become a Cliche," as well as fan favorite "Jaw Knee Music" from the first Rock Against Bush comp Fat Wreck released in 2004. Obviously, not every bonus track or rare cut is here, but it's a small complaint for what you're given. Essentially, you know what you're getting into when picking this up, but is it well-worth dropping $10 on 30 non-album tunes? Darn tootin' it is! Now, a majority of tracks split up on random EPs and compilations have been neatly-tied together for a low price, all in the name of organization. Just for the obsessive compulsive within all of us.

Note: Album was not given rating due to the fact that it is a compilation of varying production and spreads over several years.

Recommended if You LikeSeriously, if you haven't heard NOFX now, this isn't the place to begin, so this part means little to you.
Choice CutsMy personal favorites are "I'm Going to Hell For This One," "You're Wrong" and "Jaw Knee Music"

Online VitalsOfficial Site | Official Myspace
PurchaseiTunes | Amazon MP3

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 55
05:09 AM on 09/03/10
CheckeredFloors
nah
User Info.
Sup with the score?
05:45 AM on 09/03/10
stereokiller
Howdy.
User Info.
Just curious, but why did this need a review?
06:31 AM on 09/03/10
EchoPark
promesas son sombras
User Info.
From one Chris to another, Well done pal.
06:47 AM on 09/03/10
smelltheglove
youarealldumbemokids
User Info.
Just curious, but why did this need a review?

it didn't but why not, it's NOFX, one of the most important punk bands of all time. will the graduate be pulling in 1,000 fans at any given show in 20 years? how many bands have the kind of career longevity NOFX has? how many bands have had the same lineup for 18 years? how many bands have 11 full-length albums in their cataloge?
07:12 AM on 09/03/10
stereokiller
Howdy.
User Info.
it didn't but why not, it's NOFX, one of the most important punk bands of all time. will the graduate be pulling in 1,000 fans at any given show in 20 years?
I wish they did because The Graduate is an amazing band. Not sure why dropping them here was necessary though.

Quote:
how many bands have the kind of career longevity NOFX has? how many bands have had the same lineup for 18 years? how many bands have 11 full-length albums in their cataloge?
Few. Few. Few. Your point?

Sheesh. And I love Chris' reviews.
07:18 AM on 09/03/10
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
User Info.
Pretty rad comp! The liner notes were a bit disappointing, but other than that? This is a sweet, sweet release!
07:26 AM on 09/03/10
FatJordan
Fat is Fashionable
User Info.
The review says this is a comp of every NOFX EP ever released, but it's actually a second EP compilation, the first being the MUCH better "45 or 46 Songs That Weren't Good Enough to Go on Our Other Records". Nice "note of existence", but I guess he has a point...if you don't know who NOFX is, it's a little late; and this is not the way to find out who they are.
09:17 AM on 09/03/10
sweepthenation
Vickadelphia
User Info.
Most overrated band out there
09:25 AM on 09/03/10
hello299
User Info.
Love em or hate em. But I love them (minus their outspoken political views)
09:56 AM on 09/03/10
smelltheglove
youarealldumbemokids
User Info.

think you mean circa survive dude
10:02 AM on 09/03/10
smelltheglove
youarealldumbemokids
User Info.
I wish they did because The Graduate is an amazing band. Not sure why dropping them here was necessary though.

Few. Few. Few. Your point?

Sheesh. And I love Chris' reviews.

my point was just an answer to your question. you asked why this release needed a review.

i say it does because of the sustained relevence, career longevity and historical impact on punk music that NOFX has had as compared to the dearth of flash-in-the-pan flavor-of-the-month bands covered on this website or a band that's only been around a few years with a couple of albums (the graduate).

if a punk band as important as NOFX puts something out then, any release, then a website that claims to be "absolute punk" should probably make mention, as they have here with this review.
10:05 AM on 09/03/10
246toothpicks
User Info.
pffft sure
10:24 AM on 09/03/10
stereokiller
Howdy.
User Info.
my point was just an answer to your question. you asked why this release needed a review.

i say it does because of the sustained relevence, career longevity and historical impact on punk music that NOFX has had as compared to the dearth of flash-in-the-pan flavor-of-the-month bands covered on this website or a band that's only been around a few years with a couple of albums (the graduate).
No you def did not answer my question. All you did was praise NOFX and hate everything else that isn't NOFX.

Quote:
if a punk band as important as NOFX puts something out then, any release, then a website that claims to be "absolute punk" should probably make mention, as they have here with this review.
This was the answer I was probably looking for. Thanks.

EDIT: Wait. whoa, look at that. The Graduate is STILL an amazing band. And I still don't see what dropping them here was for.
10:53 AM on 09/03/10
stereokiller
Howdy.
User Info.
I don't see why you're being such a dick about it?
NOFX is a great band, they just released a compilation, Chris Fallon wanted to review them. Why wouldn't it need a review?
I wasn't trying to be a dick. I rarely see reviews of compilation here. I apologize if my post looked offensive or anything, but I was just really curious.

And I listen to NOFX. Probably why I'm in this thread.

EDIT: Just re-read my post. Oh ya. I was being rude with that post you quoted. Didn't realize. My bad.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums