AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Sundowner - We Chase the Waves Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 9
Production 9.25
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 89%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Sundowner - We Chase the Waves

Reviewed by: Chris Fallon (09/03/10)
Sundowner - We Chase the Waves
Record Label: Asian Man Records
Release Date: August 10, 2010

There's a lingering cloud of misguided hope bouncing around on We Chase the Waves, the sophomore full-length from Sundowner, solo project of Chris McCaughan (aka one-half of the Lawrence Arms' vocal arrangement). None of the ten songs found here are patterned to brighten or replenish; rather, the record is a collection of poems strung together by a common theme of despair and apt confession. It's McCaughan's chance to really take on a life of his own and exhibit his brilliant candor in a remarkable new and bare sense.

On opening track "In the Flicker," the vulnerabily presents itself and doesn't plan on leaving until its half-hour stay is over with. "The gloom is brooding in the west / How many lives have I got left?" A slow-burning apocalyptic lullaby, McCaughan has recorded an album fit for the coldest months and turbulent memories. "The darkness is all you see," he chimes on "Araby," a rightful passage if there ever was one. "Whales and Sharks" is a peppier melody, yet retains the melancholy tone. Thankfully, you won't feel compelled to reach for the Xanex at any point during the record. McCaughan is a gifted songwriter with a capable voice to keep listeners enthralled. While "As The Crow Flies" is the album's weakest overall number, it refrains from kicking the whole thing off-tempo.

Showing his Chicago roots and keeping in tune with the record's theme of hopelessness, "Baseball's Sad Lexicon" might be the most peculiar track. While it would feel out of place on nearly any other record, considering it details the hapless Chicago Cubs' famed defensive threesome ("Tinkers to Evers to Chance"), who were on the last Cub teams to ever win the World Series over 100 years ago. The song displays McCaughan's sense of humor and presents another angle of vulnerability to the record's open confessional style.

"Mouth of the Tiger" is Sundowner's most triumphant song to date, and as pessimistic as it claims to be (literally), it's difficult to ignore McCaughan's black humor and pitiful portrayal ("I'm as lucky as a funeral"). This is certainly not a soundtrack for your dog days, however as the leaves change color, days get shorter and air finds its chill... chasing Waves is going to feel less like running on empty, and more like walking on water.

Recommended if You LikeElliott Smith; Chuck Ragan; Tony Sly; Joey Cape; Flogging Molly (if it were just Dave King)
Choice Cuts"Mouth of a Tiger," "In the Flicker" and "What Beadie Said"

Online VitalsOfficial Site | Official Myspace | Official Facebook | Official Twitter
PurchaseiTunes | Amazon MP3

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 23
04:32 AM on 09/03/10
So-Crates
Registered Member
User Info.
good review,love this record.
05:43 AM on 09/03/10
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
I've been spinning this one constantly lately. It's a surefire Top 5 at the end of the year. Glad to see it get reviewed.
07:15 AM on 09/03/10
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
User Info.
Sweet review, great fucking album! I love how every single one of the Lawrence Arms side-projects maintains a unique vibe, yet still has the same "vibe" in the lyrics.

Now, if only we could get a new Larry Arms LP sooner than later...
07:17 AM on 09/03/10
The Revisionist
Loves shittyass pop music
User Info.
I streamed this on Punknews a while ago and I really like it. I can't tell from an internet stream if I like it more than Four One Five Two, but I'm stoked to get some money to buy this anyway.
09:47 AM on 09/03/10
G apostrophe Ra
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Is it fair to call Chris one-half of the Lawrence Arms? Sure, Neil doesn't sing, but TLA is still a trio.
10:14 AM on 09/03/10
Meeze
PunkOut.org
User Info.
Quote:
as the leaves change color, days get shorter and air finds its chill... chasing Waves is going to feel less like running on empty, and more like walking on water.

splendid.
11:59 AM on 09/03/10
Brett3
User Info.
Really liking this album. Great review.
12:25 PM on 09/03/10
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Is it fair to call Chris one-half of the Lawrence Arms? Sure, Neil doesn't sing, but TLA is still a trio.
Yeah, bad wording on my part - meant one-half of the vocals. Fixed it.
12:26 PM on 09/03/10
zippoX41
GooGoo
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
As The Crow Flies is one of my favorites off this.
12:40 PM on 09/03/10
MoChroi
User Info.
1/3 of the lawrence arms*
12:59 PM on 09/03/10
BlinkNFG15
User Info.
One of the best albums of the year for sure. Anything the members of Larry Arms release is simply gold.
01:38 PM on 09/03/10
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
1/3 of the lawrence arms*
Look at you, bringing my non-existent math skills to light. I hate you.

No I don't. You're probably a nice person.
01:42 PM on 09/03/10
thelastturtle
Title Fight rules.
User Info.
Great record.
03:44 PM on 09/03/10
Castle Builders
Been fly since I was a young larvae
User Info.
All my friends think As the Crow Flies is the definitive song on the album but I agree. It almost seems corny. Mouth of a Tiger has way better lyrics.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums