Password

Album Review

Silverstein - Decade [Live At The El Mocambo] Album Cover

Silverstein - Decade [Live At The El Mocambo]

Reviewed by
SilversteinDecade [Live At The El Mocambo]
Record Label: Victory
Release Date: June 8, 2010
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Silverstein is one of few bands in their genre able to survive a variety of changes in the music industry while still staying true to their sound and remaining consistent throughout the last decade. And what better way to convey this and recap their last ten years as a band than releasing a spot on, heavy hitting live album and DVD, appropriately titled Decade. The live album was recorded in El Mocambo in Canada with flawless coverage and quality. The DVD was captured over the course of four nights where the band played one of their four albums each night in its entirety.

Finally, after ten years, Silverstein have released a live album; likewise, they do extreme justice to their ten years as a band, performing without fault. Shane Told’s vocals have never sounded better, as his screams are better than on the recorded versions of every track. Similarly, guitarist Neil Boshart and Josh Bradford shred while bassist Bill Hamilton provides nice touches. Drummer Paul Koehler sounds massive on the kit, complementing each track wonderfully.

The DVD was shot marvelously; the camera work is simply grand, switching views and from black and white to color throughout. The smaller stage and venue allow for a better vision of the band as they tear it up. It’s impossible to not notice that Silverstein don’t talk much to fans during the show, as they simply let the music speak for them, which is just fine. Overall, the four nights and albums convey the band’s growth over the years; most of the songs sound better live here than on the actual recordings, especially tracks off of the debut When Broken Is Easily Fixed.

In between the concert segments, there are various interviews about the sets and concert, showing Silverstein are still genuine musicians. The band also discusses memories each record brings to them throughout the interviews, while also touching on the past and early years of Silverstein. In these pieces, the band recounts their history as a band. They also account for why Arrivals & Departures was a lukewarm release. In addition, the DVD also includes every music video Silverstein have done, which is a great inclusion to the concert and interview segments.

While the DVD is a great live show, the CD includes the 17 tracks on the DVD as well as 5 select songs not included on the DVD. Alike to every song on the DVD, these tracks all sound superb as well. The great thing about Silverstein is the fact that in all of the four nights, they sound better each night, proving themselves to be one of the best live and most consistent acts in their genre.

Decade is perfect for any Silverstein fan, and at that, a great addition to any live album collection. Representing their decade as a band perfectly, this live record and DVD captures every aspect of Silverstein in the best light possible. Whether you like the band or not, there’s no question that they have influenced a number of bands today while still remaining true to their own name with each release. These four nights captured on Decade summarize Silverstein’s growing career in twenty-two heavy hitting songs, a must have for any fan of the band.

Recommended If You LikeSilverstein; live albums/DVDs

Listen To/WatchSmashed Into Pieces; Discovering The Waterfront; Call It Karma; I Am The Arsonist; My Heroine (Acoustic)

Additional Information
CD Track Listing:
1. Smashed Into Pieces*
2. Red Light Pledge*
3. The Weak And The Wounded*
4. When Broken Is Easily Fixed
5. Your Sword Vs. My Dagger*
6. Fist Wrapped In Blood
7. Discovering The Waterfront*
8. Defend You
9. Call It Karma*
10. Bleeds No More*
11. Sound Of The Sun
12. If You Could See Into My Soul
13. My Disaster*
14. Still Dreaming*
15. Here Today, Gone Tomorrow*
16. Already Dead*
17. Smile In Your Sleep*
18. Vices*
19. American Dream*
20. Born Dead*
21. I Am The Arsonist*
22. My Heroine (Acoustic)*

*(starred tracks are on DVD)

Directed by: Robby Starbuck
Mixed by: Cameron Webb

Silverstein are:
Shane Told – Vocals
Neil Boshart – Guitar
Josh Bradford – Guitar
Bill Hamilton – Bass
Paul Koehler – Drums

myspace.com/silverstein

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 22
03:20 PM on 09/04/10
vivatoto56
Welcome to Christmasland
User Info.
Weird...On the review page it says you gave it a 68%.
03:32 PM on 09/04/10
johnnyferris
Inside of your heart always
User Info.
loved this dvd. when i saw them this summer they talked quite alot.
04:44 PM on 09/04/10
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Weird...On the review page it says you gave it a 68%.
That's because I set the lyrics to N/A.
05:34 PM on 09/04/10
vivatoto56
Welcome to Christmasland
User Info.
That's lame. 81 fits better.
05:38 PM on 09/04/10
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
That's lame. 81 fits better.
Yeah, that's the score I really gave it.
10:52 PM on 09/04/10
CoheedForever
The Afterman
User Info.
I used to be really into Silverstein. Might give this dvd a try.
04:03 PM on 09/05/10
suicidalmoose
Lindsay let me kiss your forehead!
User Info.
Liked the dvd aswell. The sound quality was great and the directing was really spot on. And we can see the amazing progress Shane has done with his vocals throughout the years. I miss Fist Wrapped in Blood's video though : <

just a few remarks: since the DVD was only a selection of videos taken from 4 different days, I don't think you can tell if the band talks a lot with the audience or not. the same goes for saying they played the songs flawlessly :p

but nice review! can't wait for their upcoming album!

I hope you understand my points. i'm sick and a bit dizzy so my english isn't that good tonight :p
05:43 PM on 09/05/10
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Liked the dvd aswell. The sound quality was great and the directing was really spot on. And we can see the amazing progress Shane has done with his vocals throughout the years. I miss Fist Wrapped in Blood's video though : <

just a few remarks: since the DVD was only a selection of videos taken from 4 different days, I don't think you can tell if the band talks a lot with the audience or not. the same goes for saying they played the songs flawlessly :p

but nice review! can't wait for their upcoming album!

I hope you understand my points. i'm sick and a bit dizzy so my english isn't that good tonight :p
I never thought of it like that. You're right. My mistake :)
10:27 AM on 09/06/10
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This album made it possible for me to appreciate a few songs off of their first album. His screams were so atrocious back then I just couldn't listen to it, but Shane's done a complete 180 and now he has one of the best screams in music today. Good review
10:39 AM on 09/06/10
vivatoto56
Welcome to Christmasland
User Info.
The best part about Silverstein was Shane's screaming on their first album.
03:25 PM on 09/10/10
stricker1000
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
silverstein is the shit !!!
12:22 AM on 09/11/10
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The best part about Silverstein was Shane's screaming on their first album.
He sounds like a strangled muppet on there :P
10:06 AM on 09/11/10
vivatoto56
Welcome to Christmasland
User Info.
He sounds like a strangled muppet on there :P
Not at all.
10:49 AM on 09/11/10
chemicalbreeze
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great review. They do however talk ALOT at their shows. I was at the recording of the album and they explained the inspiration for many songs and just talked to the crowd in general. They edited most of the talking out though!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos