Album Review

mc chris - Part Six Part Two Album Cover

mc chris - Part Six Part Two

Reviewed by
mc chris - Part Six Part Two
Record Label: mc chris LLC
Release Date: September 29, 2009

Who?

mc chris is described in one of the skits on this album as “a pretty great rapper if you think rap sucks.” I'm still not really sure how that works out, but it serves as a good starting point for learning about who this guy is. He is a completely self-made, self-promotod, and self-driven musical artist. He is unsigned. He frequently releases music for free. He raps about what he loves. He will continue doing this as long as he can because he genuinely loves his craft. It may seem that mc chris is on the verge of quitting every few months or so, but he always returns to the scene with a vengeance.

How is it?

Part Six Part Two does a decent job of living up to the first part of the three EP (3P?) set. It opens with another track in his “bounty hunters in vehicles” series, “Zuckuss' Prius.” These tracks don't serve as much other than humorous distractions for those well versed in the Star Wars Expanded Universe, but that doesn't mean they are terrible in any way. The production is basic mc chris, filled with techno and hip-hop beats, as well as an interesting chorus sung by mc chris himself. The next song, “Neville,” is Harry Potter inspired, and told from the perspective of Neville Longbottom. Now, I won't pretend I know anything about the Harry Potter universe, but it seems Neville was a poor student in his early years that became an important ally of Harry's further into the series. While the song details Neville's problems in school and being socially accepted, mc chris seems to mix in a bit of his own history into the fantasy. But, like any other mc chris song, this track is lyrically unique and incredibly funny.

The third track is much more personal than the first two. “Potato Cakes” tells a story of a lonely kid working at Arby's who is infatuated with a girl he works with there. The production on this track is simplistic and, while upbeat, somehow portrays the emotion of unrequited love almost perfectly. While the story may or may not be true, it's a template for something that's happened to almost everyone in their life. This track is a good example of mc chris' ability to empathize with everyone on almost every level. The last song is a tracked named “Japanese Maid.” While at first it offers a creepy glimpse into a maid/master fetish, it eventually evolves into a clever parody of the sexist dating game sub-culture that permeates the internet. mc chris confesses his love for a cleaning robot, “my Japanese maid, you are my wife and my slave.” The production on this track is almost identical to that of a typical Japanese pop song, which mixes in an interesting way with mc chris' varying vocal speeds.

The story continues with another three skits, as mc chris and his gaming competitors Genghis Khan and Napoleon Bonaparte, are sent to the farthest corners of Hell in a Running Man-esque scenario. The highlight of the story comes in the last skit and its humongous list of hunters that will try to kill the game show's participants. Forever an mc chris mainstay, the skits are full of pop culture references that you'll either love or hate.

While Part Six Part One carried the responsibility of showing off mc chris' lyrical and flowing capabilities, Part Six Part Two picks up the slack on the nerdy front. This second EP also does a great job of showing off his unique production style, which mixes rock, techno, hip-hop, and even J-Pop influences into a delicious gumbo of elements uncommon to the scene. Part Six Part Two is probably the best of the Part Six EPs in terms of the skill that mc chris portrays throughout, and fans of his will definitely not be disappointed.

Track List1. Fresh Organic Produce (skit)
2. Zuckuss' Prius
3. Neville
4. Kray (skit)
5. Potato Cakes
6. Japanese Maid
7. Happy Hunting (skit)

Recommended If You LikeHarry Potter, believing in yourself, The Running Man

Official Page | Official Myspace | Part One Review | Part Three Review
This review is a user submitted review from Ian Walker. You can see all of Ian Walker's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
06:12 PM on 09/07/10
Mochem
User Info.
Hahaha oh God, I love when he's listing off the hunters. All I can remember at the moment is Suck Dickman, but I thought that was hilarious. And yes, I'm probably going to leave a comment on each of these reviews.
07:27 PM on 09/07/10
GlassyLight
King of Wrangling
User Info.
Neville is about Neville Longbottom, Herbologist Extraordinaire, selling weed at Hogwarts. It's pretty obvious, and pretty hilarious.
09:24 PM on 09/07/10
ImTheSheriff
///
User Info.
ehh i can't get into mc chris

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT