Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Weekly Nostalgia: Don't Look Down

Posted by: Chris Fallon (09/08/10)
As J-14 Magazine prepares to pimp Runner Runner in all future issues, let us take a moment to look back on better times. Namely, Don't Look Down, a pop-punk band who hailed from New Jersey during a time when v-neck shirts, pesky haircuts and a wide array of spectacularly unusual eyeglass wear was nowhere in sight; it was Midtown, The Early November and Senses Fail. Simpler times, really. Don't Look Down got their start making their way through basement shows and cover sets in the local area. The band soon found themselves attached to a small label and released their debut album, Start the Show, in 2002. Approaching pop-punk in a comparable style to MxPx and fellow upstarts (at the time) Simple Plan, it was fast enough to catch on with skate kids yet simple enough for the emo enthusiasts. Gaining a steady following, the band shifted gears and signed to Nitro Records in 2003, where they would release their much-ballyhooed EP, Five. Things were beginning to blossom, and the band showed a rapid growth in an incredibly short amount of time. Heck, by the time their next LP, The Fear in Love, was released... it was hardly the same band at all. They had practically dropped the preppy pop-punk sound and adopted an ultimately darker and aggressive tone. However, before Don't Look Down could show the world their full potential... the band had broken up. To this day, there was no formal "sayonara" or note left on the kitchen counter - things apparently just kind of disintegrated. Even after spreading a healthy layer of buzz over the Warped Tour crowd in 2004, the band never got to ignite the flame that had sparked fans' interests. Vocalist Ryan Ogren would later join Over It as a guitarist and now leads the unfortunate pop band Runner Runner, further highlighting the tragedy that is Don't Look Down's failure to hit it big.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 68
04:04 AM on 09/08/10
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Weekly Nostalgia: Don't Look DownBender:

Start the Show:

Can You Hear Me:

Better Off:

To All Our Saviors:

The Fear in Love:

Amazon.com: Start the Show
Amazon MP3: Five EP | The Fear in Love
04:08 AM on 09/08/10
caveBEAR
( ω )
User Info.
The Fear In Love was a great album. Couple that with the 'rock version' of 'Can You Hear Me'...aaah, good times.
04:42 AM on 09/08/10
bones jones
'rrhea
User Info.
band was so good. one of my favorite shows i've ever been to will always be DLD, rufio, and yellowcard at the axis in boston. sucks they never recovered from the nitro records curse.
04:45 AM on 09/08/10
SmallFrailBoy
User Info.
That live version of Bender is unbelievable.
04:59 AM on 09/08/10
kazuma_ootaro28
User Info.
Better times indeed. The Fear In Love was their best material, but I could never deny the catchy songs they made before that.
05:04 AM on 09/08/10
brokenmixtape
You're all speed and no gas
User Info.
There was an old site where you could download all their demos...not sure if it still exists. Good band.
05:07 AM on 09/08/10
hello299
User Info.
Haha I love the opening line!
05:12 AM on 09/08/10
FatJordan
Fat is Fashionable
User Info.
I love that these guys are featured the week after Much the Same...a band who was originally called, wait for it...

Don't Look Down.

EDIT: PS, I saw Runner Runner last night, and wow, are they god awful.
05:18 AM on 09/08/10
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
I love that these guys are featured the week after Much the Same...a band who was originally called, wait for it...

Don't Look Down.

EDIT: PS, I saw Runner Runner last night, and wow, are they god awful.
I have to admit... it's only kind of an accident! Haha

Although really, having to sit through that Runner Runner album a few times really made me miss DLD more than ever. Figured they needed their time to shine, too.
05:30 AM on 09/08/10
stevie85
User Info.
....Think I owned some 3-way split they did with Over It and....someone else! Happy Days.
05:41 AM on 09/08/10
JoshCool7717
Sweet.
User Info.
I still wear a DLD shirt quite often. That green one. "DLD against the world"

The bassist was really cool too. This was sick in their time.
06:00 AM on 09/08/10
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
One of the best shows I've ever been to, DLD opened for Senses Fail and Rufio. Great show...
06:07 AM on 09/08/10
Paulb-182
opentofire.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Wake Me should really really be one of the main tracks to put in the video section. A true Pop Punk classic.
06:14 AM on 09/08/10
bduke13
is looking for that clearer water
User Info.
The Fear in Love is a fantastic album. I wish I had gotten the chance to see this band live.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests