Password

Album Review
Sara Bareilles - Kaleidoscope Heart Album Cover

Sara Bareilles - Kaleidoscope Heart

Reviewed by
Sara BareillesKaleidoscope Heart
Record Label: Epic
Release Date: September 7, 2010
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
After achieving massive mainstream success with her major label debut Little Voice, Sara Bareilles has created quite the name for herself as a piano-pop artist. Her hit single “Love Song” topped the charts back in 2007, proving Bareilles’ knack for bold pop tunes. With her sophomore major label record, Kaleidoscope Heart, Bareilles demonstrates a different side of herself as an artist. Fans solely interested in her hit “Love Song” will be truly disappointed in their expectancies for more upbeat poppy tracks, as Kaleidoscope is a delicately soft, intricate, and dark ride into Bareilles’ thoughts and heart.

With her third record, Bareilles’ voice sounds better than ever, hitting notes precisely and wonderfully. Lyrically, the record exemplifies every aspect of her heart and soul; Bareilles bears her every thought and emotion throughout this self-reflective journey. To better correlate the emotional impact of Heart, the record is paced by eccentric piano play that sets the tone precisely.

The music accompanies Bareilles’ vocals magnificently, creating a truly moving emotional ride throughout this beauty; it’s the slow, stripped down moments (the moving “The Light” and the honest “Basket Case”) that truly convey Bareilles’ growth, as her voice alone carries the tracks. While these intricate tracks are poignant, that is not to say that the upbeat dance piano tracks don’t carry their weight – “Uncharted” proves to be one of the catchiest tracks on the record while the later single “King Of Anything” is another one of Bareilles’ “fuck you” tracks.

Opener “Kaleidoscope Heart” sets the mood of the record in just one minute, as it’s immediately prevalent just how beautiful the rest of the album will be. Bareilles’ demonstrates her knack for pop throughout the ridiculously catchy “Gonna Get Over You.” On the other hand, the swift drums beats throughout “Say Your Sorry” allow Bareilles’ vocals to be the highlight of the track over a meaty bass line.

The brutally honest “Let It Rain” follows the aforementioned “Basket Case” wonderfully with Bareilles appearing unbelievably vulnerable and open as she explains “I wish I were pretty / I wish I were brave” and continues to emerge to be more sincere than ever in her career. “Machine Gun” is old-fashioned while “Not Alone” features the best vocals on Kaleidoscope, proving Bareilles’ can alter her vocal style and mood with each track.

The final moments of Kaleidoscope Heart, “Breathe Again” and closer “Bluebird,” allow the last glimpses into Bareilles’ inner sole. With the former simply being Bareilles bearing her all over stunning piano and the latter ending the record on a soft, lighthearted note, the final tracks of Kaleidoscope are nothing shy of accomplishment. As the final piano fades, it’s evident that this is more than just a pop record; this is a poignant, beautifully crafted ride into the darkest parts of pop music – the darkest parts of Bareilles’ soul. Through her candidness and pure honesty, Sara Bareilles has broken any of her previous boundaries, creating the most sincerely intricate pop record of the year with Kaleidoscope Heart.

Recommended If You Likeintricate piano-pop music; pure honesty

Listen ToUncharted; The Light; Machine Gun

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Kaleidoscope Heart
2. Uncharted
3. Gonna Get Over You
4. Hold My Heart
5. King Of Anything
6. Say You’re Sorry
7. The Light
8. Basket Case
9. Let The Rain
10. Machine Gun
11. Not Alone
12. Breathe Again
13. Bluebird

myspace.com/sarabareilles

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
08:44 PM on 09/13/10
Spenny
Hearts without chains.
User Info.
Great review. I'm split over whether I like this album better than Little Voice, gonna give it a bit more time.
10:44 PM on 09/13/10
Echo Park
User Info.
I fell in love with her music years ago
10:40 AM on 09/15/10
CellarGhosts
Blodtřrst
User Info.
Love this album so much. Good review, man.
01:27 PM on 09/15/10
studskalny
There was another time in my life..
User Info.
Good review dude. I'm only on my 4th listen but it's getting better all the time.
05:43 PM on 09/28/10
And Hours Pass
Signed, Sealed, Delivered
User Info.
Great review, but one point I'd disagree with.

Quote:
Fans solely interested in her hit “Love Song” will be truly disappointed in their expectancies for more upbeat poppy tracks

I think those fans will absolutely get their fill of catchy tracks on this record. I sincerely think this is a record for everybody.
07:17 PM on 09/28/10
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Great review, but one point I'd disagree with.

I think those fans will absolutely get their fill of catchy tracks on this record. I sincerely think this is a record for everybody.
Yeah, I've listened to it many more times since I wrote this review, and I now agree with your point there, as well.
11:37 PM on 09/28/10
And Hours Pass
User Info.
Yeah, I've listened to it many more times since I wrote this review, and I now agree with your point there, as well.
Well I'm glad you agree, but as I said before - regardless of whether you agree or not, you wrote a great review!

(And even more important than that - we've gotten a great album. Is her tour coming to your city?)
04:41 AM on 09/29/10
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Well I'm glad you agree, but as I said before - regardless of whether you agree or not, you wrote a great review!

(And even more important than that - we've gotten a great album. Is her tour coming to your city?)
Thank you for your kind words.

I'm not sure on that.
07:18 AM on 10/04/10
carouselmusic
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Checked this out after reading your review... such a good album
11:22 AM on 10/04/10
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Checked this out after reading your review... such a good album
Great to hear
09:41 PM on 11/04/10
And Hours Pass
User Info.
Currently in the running for my AOTY.
08:19 PM on 11/23/10
Clockwork00
Write it on the walls and read it.
User Info.
Not as good as Little Voice but anyone who has listened to that record will know that KH could be (and is) great and still not top LV. My one complaint about this record was that there was no songs as immediately snappy as Vegas or Many the Miles.
09:18 AM on 11/24/10
And Hours Pass
User Info.
Not as good as Little Voice but anyone who has listened to that record will know that KH could be (and is) great and still not top LV. My one complaint about this record was that there was no songs as immediately snappy as Vegas or Many the Miles.

I have to disagree! Many the Miles was my favorite off the last record, and I would say the catchiest song on this record that holds that same sort of place is Gonna Get Over You. Give it another listen.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos