AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Cities Never Sleep - It's Never Too Late to Become... Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 8
Production 7.25
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Cities Never Sleep - It's Never Too Late to Become...

Reviewed by: cavanaughpark09 (09/13/10)
Cities Never Sleep - It's Never Too Late to Become What You Might Have Been
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: January 12, 2010

Fans of the band’s Snappin’ Necks and Cashin’ Checks should rejoice at the release of this five song EP. Although it has an acoustic sound It’s Never Too Late to Become What You Might Have Been certainly showcases the band’s skills and provides the listener with almost twenty minutes of music they shouldn’t want to turn off.

The first song is instantly contagious as it welcomes listeners, “let’s take a walk out by the city.” Although the song might start a little slow for some people’s taste the tempo of the chorus is steady and I dare you to try not to let the infectious “Sweetness, I loved those flowers in your hair, and the way you look at me right now makes me take mental photographs” get stuck in your head. Everything about this song is catchy, and the lyrics create a real picture, a situation you can easily imagine; a feat I find few songs able to do lately, so I count this as quite an accomplishment for the band.

“Hindsight is 20/20” and “Sweet Berry Wine” have a similar feel, both in sound and subject matter. Almost the entire EP for that matter, seems to deal with a relationship in the past and missing that person. Although the idea might be something we’ve heard before the Duluth four-piece actually come up with some pretty unique lyrics.

The band keeps their guitar and drums simple on every track, and really work to showcase the vocals which are strong and clear throughout. Both Joe Alaspa and Pat Tarnowski, who split vocal duties for the band, have incredibly strong voices. This is in no means in insult to the guitars and drums because they frame the vocals perfectly and are very strong in their own right.

The band certainly recreates the catchiness of their opening with their final song, the tile track for the EP. The lyrics “you say I’m a sinner with the best intentions, not just a burnout with an honorable mention” are equally likely to get stuck in your head. This whole band seems to have a knack for singing because the gang vocals at the end gave me chills.

Overall, I really enjoyed this EP, and it certainly will be replayed frequently on my driving playlist. Fans of the band’s past work should enjoy this, as should fans of more acoustic artists. So, my opinion: check this EP, and this band, out.

Recommended If You Likegenre; Band Name; Band Name - Album Title; setting/mood

http://www.myspace.com/citiesneversleep

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
02:36 PM on 09/19/10
Spartan789013
I should be proper for a change
User Info.
I like the RIYL
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News