Album Review
Key to the Midway - Keep it to Yourself EP Album Cover

Key to the Midway - Keep it to Yourself EP

Reviewed by
Key to the Midway - Keep it to Yourself EP
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: August 31st, 2010
Who?

Key to the Midway is a five piece band from Kalamazoo, Michigan. The band is made up of lead vocalist/keyboardist Jesse Barnes, Guitarists Corey Yoder and Drew English, Shane Banes on the bass guitar, and Ryan English on drums. The band of brothers (and friend) play pop rock with the addition of keys mixed in here and there, creating light-hearted infectious songs that basically anyone can enjoy. The band recently released their brand new EP entitled Keep it to Yourself. The band worked with producer Rob Freeman (who had worked with bands like Cobra Starship and Hit the Lights) to create the EP.

How is it?

Keep it to Yourself is everything you want and need in a quality pop rock album. It is reminiscent of Boys Like Girls not the mess that was [i]Love Drunk[i] we are talking about the great pop album that was their self-titled release (you know you like it). Each track on the EP has it's own flavor while remaining consistent. EP opener ''Scenery,'' sets the tone for the EP. It's an upbeat pop rock anthem that will remind you of the fun-filled days of summer that have recently passed us by.

The most standout track on the Keep it to Yourself EP is of course ''Drifting.'' The track contains mid-tempo verses and a high energy chorus that is so ridiculously catchy you'll be singing it over and over for days at a time. ''Drifting'' certainly has got to be one of the best pop rock songs to come out in recent months. ''Just Me and You'' is a cutesy pop song, telling the tale of love. Vocalist Jesse Barnes' smooth-sounding vocals are the track's strongest feature, as he displays the range in his voice.

Of course all good things must come to an end as the Keep it to Yourself EP comes to a close with the near five minute track ''You've Got Me.'' The song shows off just what the band is capable of doing musically: Infectious key work, smooth drumming, fresh-sounding guitars, and even some classic whoa ohs thrown into the song by vocalist Jesse Barnes.

That's a wrap on Keep it to Yourself. You've got five great tracks of poppy goodness to spend quality time with on the remainder of your summer days and even onward. Key to the Midway is impressive in the early going, giving us a solid effort with the Keep it to Yourself EP. If they are able to keep this up when they go into the studio and record a full length record, we could very well have another timeless pop rock album on our hands.

Recommended If You LikeBoys Like Girls' Boys Like Girls, Artist vs Poet, Capital Lights (if you know who they are), good pop rock

Tracklisting1. Scenery
2. Farewell
3. Drifting
4. Just Me and You
5. You've Got Me

Myspace
This review is a user submitted review from aradiantsunrise. You can see all of aradiantsunrise's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
09:10 AM on 09/20/10
HBRDSP
Check out my band Key to the Midway
User Info.
What are people's thoughts on this EP?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles