Username
Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 4 posts.
01:10 PM on 09/17/10
DickfaceChillah
I'm just beautiful me...
User Info.
This is fucking incredible. Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross matched the tone fuckin' perfectly. Choosing them to score this film might be one of the best decisions surrounding the film. Trent Reznor is connected to the digital age more than any other musician alive, and this is such a parable on the digital age. I really hope the Academy recognizes this score this year. Some of the winners this decade have blown my mind. The Slumdog score was nauseating, and Howard Shore's work on the Rings trilogy was some of his poorest work to date. Let's get on this, Academy!
05:30 PM on 09/17/10
DickfaceChillah
I'm just beautiful me...
User Info.
Shit.....haven't listened to Trent's score yet....but i'm liking all the positive words around here. But regarding what you just said, I dunno, i think that all the hype is around Hans Zimmer and his vuvuzela-ish score for "Inception". I think that because the Academy kind of ignored The Dark Knight, they'll try to set things straight with Nolan by giving his movie all the awards that Inception is nominated for. And for sure, Zimmer's score will be nominated

IMO of course
I will agree that Zimmer will probably earn a nod, but I doubt they'll place a statue in his hands. The Inception score at it's core was just basic Zimmer. It wasn't surprising, it wasn't very effective, and it wasn't a particularly phenomenal piece of work. I do not think it'll win on politics alone. I'd like to think Clint Mansell will get a nod for his Black Swan score, though I haven't heard it, so it's too premature to say. I hear he does wonderful things with music from Swan Lake, though.

Daft Punk's Tron: Legacy score and Pheonix's Somewhere score could be surprise upsets, but I highly doubt it.

All in all, it's a diverse and awesome year for movie soundtracks.
12:33 PM on 09/18/10
DickfaceChillah
I'm just beautiful me...
User Info.
Inception score is very good IMO. Marr's guitar doesn't hurt either haha.

Without letting my displeasure with the film influence my opinion on the music, I can say that it was a fitting score, but nothing about it stood out. It felt like Zimmer doing Zimmer, and there is nothing wrong with that. It served it's purpose. I just don't think it is worthy of much praise. I think Zimmer's score for The Pacific was much more monumental, though mini-series don't constitute as film, so there's no way he'd get nominated for that.
One thing that is sometimes off putting about Hans Zimmer is that he thinks too big. He's not much a fan of leaving things unsaid. He's the Michael Bay of film composition. This isn't always bad, but it doesn't play to his advantage all that much either.
12:40 PM on 09/18/10
DickfaceChillah
I'm just beautiful me...
User Info.
I was very surprised Somewhere took the top price in Venice. Venice has a notorious history of giving some undeserving films the Golden Lion. Ang Lee's won it twice in the last decade.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums