Password

Album Review

The Dollyrots - A Little Messed Up Album Cover

The Dollyrots - A Little Messed Up

Reviewed by
The Dollyrots - A Little Messed Up
Record Label – Blackheart Records
Release – August 17th, 2010
The Dollyrots are the Josie and the Pussycats of the real world, having achieved at least semi-mainstream success through a number of background movie/TV soundtrack usages (The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2, Ugly Betty, and the freshly-released Easy A) as well as a Kohl’s back-to-school commercial a few years back. Fronted by bassist and lead vocalist Kelly Ogden, this Los Angeles-based three-piece are a Blow Pop of flavors with a crunchy, delectable casing of pop-punk and a heart of bubble gum poppy lyrics.

“Some Girls” is the perfect reminiscence of the Rachel Leigh Cook-fronted Josie and the Pussycats. The melody is upbeat and the vocals have that biting sweetness that drive The Dollyrots’ success. “Some girls will, some girls wanna. Some girls might, some girls are gonna. I don’t wanna know, I don’t wanna know what your kisses taste like,” Ogden sings, and later screams, through the choruses, finishing off with a muttered “Just fuck off” alongside the track’s fading instrumentals in the final seconds.

For all the love-struck young girls out there, you’ll want to pick out the pop-punk driven “My Heart Explodes” (“Please don’t stop, just love me till my heart explodes”) and “Just Like Chocolate” (“’Cause you melt me just like chocolate and I like it and I want it”).

If you’re looking for a slower side to the normally fast-paced trio, flip over to “Rollercoaster.” Ogden advises her listeners, “Maybe you’ve got plans, you’ve got the guts to see them through. Don’t forget where you’re from.” The track works as a complement to the overwhelming majority of puppy love-influenced songs on the whole.

And, hey, if you’re looking for a little French lesson in your listens, Ogden is sure to let you know that “Pour Tous Jours means ‘for always’” for all you lovebirds. Nevermind the absurd humor behind the album’s closing track “Om Nom Nom.” “You look good enough to eat. I love your taste, it can’t be beat,” the song opens up, accompanied by a chorus of “Om nom nom, om nom nom yuuuuum, yum.”

Littered with a number of “Do-do-doo-doo-doo”s, “whoa-oh”s and “la-la-la”s, The Dollyrots have pieced together an incredible thirteen-song collection of addictive sing-a-longs. This is high school pop-punk at its best, polished to a radio-friendly gleam, led by sassy vocals, driving instrumentals, and lyrics of romance, rivalry, and all of the inbetweens.

Recommended If You LikeJosie and the Pussycats; Go Betty Go; Avril Lavgine; The Go-Go’s; The Early Strike

myspace.com/thedollyrots
This review is a user submitted review from alienantidote. You can see all of alienantidote's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
07:37 PM on 09/18/10
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
judging by those lyrics I really hope my 12-year old sister isn't listening to this band :/

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos