AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Death In The Park - Death In The Park Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 8.75
Production 8
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 86%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Average: 78%
Inside AP.net

Death In The Park - Death In The Park

Reviewed by: Christian Wagner (09/19/10)
Death In The Park - Death In The Park
Record Label: End Sounds
Release Date: September 14, 2010

I'd like to thank Saves the Day and Alkaline Trio for exposing me to Death In The Park. I can set the scene: I'm front and center at Croc Rock in Allentown, PA anticipating to see Saves the Day for the first time. I knew there was an opening act, but as most of us do, we take no time to listen to them beforehand. I wasn't interested in seeing anything else than Chris Conley and company, but little did I know I would soon regret that mindset. It only took the first minute of Death In The Park's to realize that this wasn't a band I'd soon forget. They charged through their set and I had to actually buy a physical copy of their EP because it was that good. I thoroughly enjoyed what I was hearing and it never got the "skip" treatment on my iPod.

Fast forward two years later and I'm hanging out with Terrible Things when they're playing a college show in August. I am asking Andy Jackson about Death In The Park and he reaches into the van and hands me a copy of the new album. His words? "Enjoy it and tell me what you think."

First off, all 5 tracks from the self-titled EP are on the full-length, as the it kicks off with "Pitifully Exposed." This should be a relief to any Death In The Park fans that were worried if the band wasn't going to include songs off of the EP. The lush layers of guitars on top of Jackson's vocals gives the entire feel of the album: good pop-rock with a twinge of emo reminiscent of Jimmy Eat World's Bleed American. Fans of Hot Rod Circuit will immediately have a nostalgic wave come over them as Jackson's voice pumps through the speakers. In my opinion, he's never sounded better.

Throughout the CD, the band doesn't stray far from the path. The tempo never slows down and it's clearly exhibited in the highlight track on the album "Fallen." The song features Hayley Williams and was redone (The EP had just an acoustic version) to further define the band's sonic aura. It's got arena sized hooks that will keep everyone singing along: "And I'll chase you into the dark/With such grace/It's never been this hard/I've never fallen/I've never fallen faster." Hayley's smooth voice plays well with the grittiness exhibited in Jackson's to create a delightful treat to the listener.

One of the new songs frpm the band, "How Much Is Too Much" sounds like something from The Starting Line's Direction that never saw the light of day. This track separates Death In The Park from a lot its peers in the "scene," as the band elects to get away from simple love songs to create an incredible rock anthem. It's evident the band isn't content with simple power chords, they try and push the boundaries of what can be done to make their material feel fresh.

Simply put, if you're into a "mature" album, then this is for you. Death In The Park has done a great job at creating a pop-rock/emo album for the Drive-Thru Generation that has grown up to watch neon and auto-tune overcome a lot of talented bands. There are no filler tracks or fluff songs, it's written completely from the heart to create a sound that isn't restrictive into one genre. Hopefully more bands emerge to bring back an honest sensibility in music.

Recommended If You Like The Starting Line, Hot Rod Circuit, The Graduate, Jimmy Eat World

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 40.
06:44 PM on 09/19/10
tossit
Gather round children zip it listen
User Info.
great review..I will definitely check this out
09:42 AM on 09/20/10
derekrvr
is a koala bear
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Very well-written review. I look forward to listening to this album. Keep up the good work.
05:48 PM on 09/20/10
Dystroxia
We found love in a hopeless place
User Info.
Interesting band name, and art cover.
07:30 PM on 09/20/10
Christian Wagner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Thanks guys!
08:09 PM on 09/20/10
Ryan Gardner
@RyanGardnerC
User Info.
Great review and album. I reviewed it awhile back; check it out here if anyone's interested: http://absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=1866572
11:29 PM on 09/20/10
Heroin Robot
User Info.
Great review! Saw a typo however.

"One of the new songs frpm the band, "How Much Is Too Much" "
12:18 AM on 09/21/10
brenByah
Welcome to the Blue Hell
User Info.
I love this album, Andy can do no wrong.
12:42 AM on 09/21/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Good review. Needs a copy edit, but good content. I haven't heard this release yet but I do want to now.
04:05 AM on 09/21/10
IamTheINDUSTRY
glory glory
User Info.
this is so good. much better than the terrible things record. this is the second best thing to a new hot rod circuit album.
06:01 AM on 09/21/10
oshyjay
User Info.
this is so good. much better than the terrible things record. this is the second best thing to a new hot rod circuit album.
Agreed. The best thing about Terrible Things is Andy's vocals.
(not to be mean, it's just that Andy's the man)
It's kinda depressing it's taken so long for this to come out, and it doesn't seem like there are any plans to tour or put anything else out.
07:35 AM on 09/21/10
COREhorizon
Get Free
User Info.
I'm so jealous you saw STD at Croc Rock. I've been going there for so long, I can't believe I missed the opportunity.
07:40 AM on 09/21/10
EvaMore
-
User Info.
I don't know. The album hasn't really done anything for me yet as a whole. I loved the EP and effectively love those songs on the full-length, but I'm not big on the new songs. But it has been like a month since I've given the album a good listen. I'll have to sit down with it again and give it another chance.
08:19 AM on 09/21/10
CoheedForever
The Afterman
User Info.
Ill have to give this a listen
09:20 AM on 09/21/10
Mario57
We can gallop upon the sea...
User Info.
I prefer this to the Terrible Things album but i'm a bit annoyed there's only 5 new songs, it's a solid album though.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests