Username
Password
General Announcement News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
General Announcement
Inside AP.net

Technology Round-Up (09/19/10)

Posted by: Linda Ferreira (09/19/10)
Head to the replies to read this week's Technology Round-Up.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18.
08:21 PM on 09/19/10
Linda Ferreira
retired maillady
User Info.
Thanks to Chad and Melissa for putting this together.

Technology Round-Up Poll

Completely random poll this week: What is your most-frequently visited website? You don't have to go back through your history and run calculations; just tell what you think.

Apple

Morgan Stanley estimates that iPads are eating up 25% of notebook sales. Meanwhile, Apple is now selling refurbished iPads starting at $449.

It appears that Apple will release the iPad 2 in Q1 2011.

Consumer Reports is disappointed that Apple is discontinuing its free iPhone 4 case program. Apple shareholders should be pleased though.

iOS 4.2 will feature improved versions of YouTube and FaceTime.

Apple is planning to release an iBooks-like app for newspapers to accompany its newspaper subscription plans.

Warner Bros. executives think 99 cents is too low a price for TV rentals. What do you think?

Internet

A 19-year-old Standford student created YouTube Instant in merely 3 hours after seeing Google's new search features on Wednesday. He was already offered a job from YouTube.

Learn how YouTube videos are transferred from your cell phone to the website.

Facebook rival Diaspora has released some screenshots of what the new social networking site will look like.

Twitter is rolling out new user interface, complete with content on the information page to show related tweets, info about the author, etc. Once you are able to see the new features (it's being rolled out over the next few weeks to all users), navigate through it like a pro with these keyboard shortcuts.

Myspace is doing a complete overhaul, entitled Futura, to be released October 15th.

Yahoo is getting a new look soon.

Adobe Illustrator CS5 will now support HTML5.

Bing has passed Yahoo as the number two search engine, but still a far distance behind Google.

In one last desperate attempt to stay relevant, AOL is enlisting the help of the Jonas Brothers to redesign the internet.

Internet Explorer 9 beta was pushed out this week. It won't be supported in Windows XP. For the average user, here are 5 features that are really great.

If you haven't fallen in love with Firefox 4's Panorama yet, you can now search for tabs within the Panorama window.

Google

See how big Google REALLY is with this fantastic infographic.

Google Health (who knew this existed?!?!) is getting revamped to be a more organized health tool.

Tuesday Google's Zeitgeist conference, they announced Google Me, a social layer be added to its already existing components. Previous speculation thought it would be launching Google Me as a standalone product and competitor to Facebook.

Attendees of the conference were given a nice compensation package: 3 month complementary Dish Network service and a Google TV-equipped Blu-Ray player.

Google TV is (maybe) set to launch through the Logitech Revue box on September 29th and cost a whopping $299.

Google Music is set to include a cloud-based "locker" to store its users tracks. The service may cost $25 a year.

Almost real-time flight tracking is now available through Google Earth.

Apparently Chrome 7 will be 60 times faster than Chrome 6.

Even though it isn't widely popular, Google Buzz isn't going anywhere.

Google has purchased Quiksee, an Israeli company that creates location-based interactive videos called Tours.

Skyhook is suing Google for patent infringement and business interference.~

Electronics

The much-anticipated Boxee Box is now available for sale, exclusively through Amazon.

Oakley is planning to launch a line of 3D glasses.

Sony has created a super-thin paper e-reader.

A Pittsburg company has created a credit card line with buttons and displays for increased security and easier use.

Panasonic's new iron has points on both ends and is completely cordless.

If you're insanely lazy, get this new shower head system puts soap right into the water stream.

Mobile

The CEO of LG has resigned.

Nokia's chairman will step down in 2012. It also announced its N8, which will feature a 12-megapixel camera with a xenon flash, the C6/C7, and the E7.

AT&T plans to launch its 4G network in the middle of 2011. Perhaps then Apple will actually release an "iPhone 4G" and Chad won't be frustrated every time he hears someone add a "G" to the iPhone 4's name.

Windows Phone 7 will not be available for Verizon and other CDMA networks until the second half of 2011. HTC might put its Sense UI on the OS.

Facebook denies that it is building a phone.

T-Mobile business customers may be charged 1/4 of a cent to tweet by text.

Check out a preview of WebOS 2.0.

Reports indicate that Android users install OS updates faster than iPhone users. So either Android users are more technically savvy or people update faster because Google's mobile OS is buggier and requires more fixes.

Samsung has released an update for the Epic 4G that adds a Media Hub and fixes some issues.

Droid Eris owners will not get the Froyo update.

Owners of HTC Sense-compatible phones can remotely locate and/or wipe their phones using HTCSense.com.

The HTC Droid Incredible might start shipping with SLCD screens instead of AMOLED. Check out the differences between the two.

Check out the HTC Desire HD and HTC Desire Z.

The Android modding community has already ported the HTC Desire HD ROM to other phones.

Computer

Intel is charging people $50 to unleash built-in features of their CPUs. This move will not win them any fans.

While Apple continues to stick with AT&T exclusivity, Samsung has announced that its Galaxy Tab will be compatible with all four major U.S. cellular networks. Could this be the killer feature that might sway buyers? Sadly, the Sprint version will be 3G-only. Check out a hands-on with the device.

CTL is taking pre-orders on a Windows 7 tablet that features a 250GB hard drive and 2GB of RAM for $499. Compare that to the $499 iPad that can't run Flash (officially) and has 16GB of storage. Of course, the battery life of CTL's offering will probably be nowhere near that of the iPad.

Blio is an e-book program for PC that will feature a million free books. It will also be available for iOS and Android.

The Dell Inspiron Duo is a netbook with a swivel screen that allows it to function as a tablet too.

HardOCP has reviewed the Nvidia Geforce GTS 450 SLI.

ATI Catalyst 10.9 drivers are now available.

Tips/Tricks

If you've installed the Internet Explorer 9 Beta and don't like it, learn how to uninstall it.

Customize the Windows 7 login for Windows 7 with Logon Screen.

Fix common Internet Explorer issues with IE Restorator.

Insync allows you to easily upload/download files from Google Docs.

Paste unformatted text using CTRL + Shift + V in Google Chrome.

Miscellaneous

This creative fishbowl/ sink combo helps you conserve water.

Let your fish hang out in style with these fishbowl hotels.

Try out this suitcase that doubles as a seat... and speakers?

Ever wanted to make your own clouds? Well now you can with this foam printer.

Brownsville, Texas passed a law that charges $1 for every transaction using a plastic bag.

Super Mario Bros turned 25 this month.

--
Contributors: klawansie7, CyberInferno
08:28 PM on 09/19/10
Twitch110
User Info.
They fixed the notebooks thing. The meant to say that ipad are bringing down NETBOOK sales. Look it up on engadget. i'm too lazy. They really did fix it though.
08:42 PM on 09/19/10
Mibabalou
Desolate Earth :: The End Is Here
User Info.
nice!
09:46 PM on 09/19/10
yayitsjoe
An American Workplace.
User Info.
google is absolutely fascinating.
02:38 AM on 09/20/10
InBetweenAisles
WeReadTheSignsCompletelyB ackwards
User Info.
Cool stuff.
04:47 AM on 09/20/10
zachff
is Dalton Russell
User Info.
Most visited websites look something like this:
AP.net
Facebook
Gawker
Gizmodo
Highsnobiety
04:49 AM on 09/20/10
zachff
is Dalton Russell
User Info.
Dear Myspace, there's already a popular artist named Futura. You even fail in naming things.
06:37 AM on 09/20/10
fothermucker
Show's over, mother fuckers.
User Info.
Where the hell has entertainment round-up been?
08:50 AM on 09/20/10
Rest_Easy
accidentally on purpose
User Info.
kind of wondering myself. I didn't submit anything this past friday as I was out of town but did either the friday before or before that and haven't seen anything. guess adrian's too busy right now to put it up
09:07 AM on 09/20/10
CyberInferno
Tech Round-up Author,Chipotle Lover
User Info.
They fixed the notebooks thing. The meant to say that ipad are bringing down NETBOOK sales. Look it up on engadget. i'm too lazy. They really did fix it though.
Ah. That makes much more sense.
kind of wondering myself. I didn't submit anything this past friday as I was out of town but did either the friday before or before that and haven't seen anything. guess adrian's too busy right now to put it up
This is the new entertainment round-up
09:12 AM on 09/20/10
CyberInferno
Tech Round-up Author,Chipotle Lover
User Info.
Most visited websites look something like this:
AP.net
Facebook
Gawker
Gizmodo
Highsnobiety
Hmm...I think mine are (currently):

google.com (gmail, docs, searching, etc.)
pokerstars.tv
absolutepunk.net
youtube.com

Ironically, though I'm one of the round-up writers, I rarely visit the tech sites directly, using Google Reader to view their feeds and only going to the sites to grab the links.
09:19 AM on 09/20/10
zachff
is Dalton Russell
User Info.
Hmm...I think mine are (currently):

google.com (gmail, docs, searching, etc.)
pokerstars.tv
absolutepunk.net
youtube.com

Ironically, though I'm one of the round-up writers, I rarely visit the tech sites directly, using Google Reader to view their feeds and only going to the sites to grab the links.
Ahh, I suppose I forgot Gmail (and Google Maps would probably be somewhere in top 6-10).

If I were rounding out 6-10 it's probably
Google Maps
Tech Crunch
Deadspin
Consumerist
Boing Boing
Chicago Breaking News

I don't really use an RSS or Google Reader
09:28 AM on 09/20/10
Zeran
Vampire
User Info.
Quote:
Super Mario Bros turned 25 this month.
holy shit.
10:01 AM on 09/20/10
ren
on display
User Info.
99 cents a rental doesn't seem to be underpriced to me. For most television series that would bring me between 18-24 dollars to rent the entire season and have no retention of rights for repeat viewings. The sales of the series would be between 35-50 dollars and I would retain all rights for repeat viewings. Seems pretty fair for what you are getting.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS