AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Front Bottoms, The - Slow Dance To Soft Rock Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6
Musicianship 9.75
Lyrics 6.25
Production 5.75
Creativity 9.25
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 77%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 10
Production 8
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9
Average: 87%
Inside AP.net

Front Bottoms, The - Slow Dance To Soft Rock

Reviewed by: Christian Wagner (09/24/10)
How does a 3 piece band sound so full? The Front Bottoms, a 3 piece indie rock group from NJ, put together the same compositions as groups like River City Extension (Who have 8 members in the band) but do it in a much different way. The band blends guitars, horns, pianos, synths, violins, cow bells and much more to create a chaotic indie-punk outfit to please a certain demographic. In other words, it seems like this is a hipster's wet dream. It's not a bad thing if you aren't a "hipster", but if you have an affinity towards pop music, then this isn't for you.

The band released a 6 song EP entitled Slow Dance To Soft Rock, which is a cornucopia of straight indie rock songs that you can expect from any other folk inspired band: acoustic guitar noodling, brutally honest and descriptive lyrics, splashy cymbals, and nasally vocals. Once again, there's nothing wrong with it if you like this kind of music. I just would not recommend this band as being the first indie rock band you listen to.

Why? I doubt it's the band's intention, but it has an extreme air of pretentiousness. The one thing that I have always hated about these kinds of bands are the lyrics. When I hear what I consider to be bad lyrics that are mainly corny poems, it's very hard for me to get into it. This line exemplifies what I'm talking about: "I had this dream that I am hitting my dad with a baseball bat, and he is screaming and crying for help." It's a continuing theme throughout the EP in the song "The Beers": "I will remember that summer as the summer I was taking steroids cause you like a man with muscles and I like you." To me, I don't see the genius behind this kind of songwriting and it oftens leaves me puzzled as why artists write that way.

However, don't sit out on the band just yet. They are pretty creative musicians. The ability to intertwine many different instruments into their songs makes them a standout artist among the New Jersey scene. One moment they're playing a violin in the background (In "Maps) and the next song has a raucous horn line (In "Father"). They have an ear for making solid music, it's not like they are just throwing random instruments in there for variety. Everything has a place, which is easily the band's strongest point.

I think a band like The Front Bottoms are one of those groups that would captivate me more live than they do in the studio. There is a certain energy in the songs that are lost in the compression of the recordings and it's a fair assessment that the band has more to offer than what the EP shows. Overall, the band is a fun listen if you're open to hearing new music and exploring some different sounds.

Recommended If You LikeWHY?, River City Extension, Modest Mouse

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8.
11:07 AM on 09/24/10
FullFathomFive
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
These guys are great dudes who make great music, and this record is no exception. Awesome tunes, nothing but keepers. RIYL good music.
12:30 PM on 09/24/10
Contortionist
The NJ Underground
User Info.
River City Extension, Modest Mouse?

Been a fan of these dudes for a while, I'd say if you like Matt & Kim, Pavement, Blink 182, The Format, etc. you should check these guys out!
03:43 PM on 09/24/10
saturday_snow_squall
www.facebook.com/survaysays
User Info.
you should add a link to their bandcamp profile too.

good review sir, i have to say i absolutely love the lyrics, because theyre not seriously "corny", moreso in a sarcastic tone-ish sort of way haha, if you get what i mean.
03:52 PM on 09/24/10
ImOnFire54321
@jackgazdik
User Info.
Reminds me of Frightened Rabbit a little bit
05:32 PM on 09/24/10
DriftingNAndOut
User Info.
It annoys me when reviewers don't include links to band website/music pages. Yes, I'm lazy.
03:34 PM on 10/27/10
E=MCHAMMER
bottled
User Info.
front bottom means vagina
06:36 AM on 04/28/12
ellie117
EAGLES, Phillies, Flyers, tacos.
User Info.
I know this review is 2 years old, but I hope you got to see these guys live. They're so on point, and super fun so you can really tell they love what they're doing. Such good dudes.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests