AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Castevet - The Echo and the Light Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8
Production 8.75
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 86%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8
Production 8.25
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Average: 85%

Castevet - The Echo and the Light

Reviewed by: Adam Pfleider (09/27/10)
Castevet - The Echo and The Light
Release Date: August 17, 2010
Record Label: Tiny Engines

There's a dark Midwestern feel to The Echo and the Light. It's mature, invigorating and a step up from what we've previously heard from Castevet. It's also what we've previously come to love about Midwestern emo/punk in the past as well. There are urgent vocals, clean finger picking and driving guitars, and loose backseat drumming.

There's plenty that kicks into overdrive on "Narrow Hallways," to kick things off in the right direction after "Six Parts Summer." The vocals are torn, angry and are aptly tuned to the fury of hardcore. It's like Tom Gabel went in the '80s D.C. direction, instead of hearkening the sweet tunes of Joe Strummer (that's not to be taken negatively by Twitter Tom).

Things absolutely rip with "Lautrec," as feedback and gain start the quick march into some softer noodling, and then back into a reckoning drive. It's easily one of the best hardcore/punk tracks you'll hear this year, a tour de force into battle. The quick riffs of "Bike Notes" and lyrics "call to arms" of "Cities and Memory" are just pleasurable to the inner adolescent punk we once were.

The Echo and the Light isn't just another punk album in the resurgence of hardcore and passionate punk rock. It's gritty, but doesn't lack heart. There are signs of mid-'90s chops and D.I.Y. hardcore. To pinpoint where Castevet have taken their sound is to write a thesis on every influence you'll pick up on when listening to this album. Light will be a sleeper hit this year, but that's just perfect. If this album is any indication, here's hoping their next effort will be a walloping breakout hit.

Track Listing1. Six Parts Summer
2. Narrow Hallways*
3. Hiccups
4. Lautrec*
5. Midwest Values
6. Model Trains
7. Bike Notes
8. Cities and Years*

*key tracks

Recommended If You LikeBraid's The Age of Octeen; Against Me!'s As The Eternal Cowboy; Everyone Everywhere's s/t

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16
11:10 AM on 09/27/10
Gin
What'd those animals say to ya?
User Info.
Great read, checked their myspace and I like it a lot. Maybe I'll get it over Itunes, if there isnt a fair deal to ship a copy to Germany ;)

Itunes says the EP consists of 8 tracks, not 6!?
11:15 AM on 09/27/10
bradsonemanband
Change To Fire/Cootie Catcher
User Info.
glad someone else knows of Everyone Everywhere. they're great. Castevet is great.
11:17 AM on 09/27/10
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
Great read, checked their myspace and I like it a lot. Maybe I'll get it over Itunes, if there isnt a fair deal to ship a copy to Germany ;)

fixed.
11:36 AM on 09/27/10
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
Took me a while to get into these guys, but I eventually really liked Summer Fences. Gonna check this out, it sounds good.
11:38 AM on 09/27/10
popofeliz
Maybe They Will Sing Us Tomorrow
User Info.
glad someone else knows of Everyone Everywhere. they're great. Castevet is great.

yesss, Everyone Everywhere gets better each time...same as this band
11:39 AM on 09/27/10
mymusicismylife
Disgruntled wheat thins enthusiast
User Info.
Gotta' check this.
11:46 AM on 09/27/10
troubledbyinsects
~
User Info.
Band is way too good.
12:22 PM on 09/27/10
circletheworld
Old Fears New Frontiers
User Info.
Lautrec is such a great song

edit: they were also a great chicago band
01:19 PM on 09/27/10
davefalcone777
@davidgfalcone
User Info.
this is just getting reviewed? it's been out for almost a year.

amazing band.
02:09 PM on 09/27/10
fly_guy
End in sight, we must fight
User Info.
I wouldn't say this is punk or hardcore at all
05:55 PM on 09/27/10
Bearchuck
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

You can pick up a copy directly from Tiny Engines here: http://www.store.tinyengines.net/

We have about 50 copies left ( 25 of each color)

Unfortunately, shipping overseas is pretty expensive, but it literally costs us over $12 for postage, not to mention the cost of packaging material. We did send some copies to Denovali in Germany and it looks like he still has them in stock: http://denovali.com/shop/product_inf...ucts_ id=3514

Also, someone asked if this was a year old. Sort of, but not exactly. Here's the story taken directly from the bio ... which is why it sounds so bio-y ...

The Echo & The Light was originally pressed in extremely limited quantities on CD and cassette tape ( Kid Sister Everything / Ice Age Records ) as a six-track EP for the band’s 09 Winter tour with Grown Ups. All the songs – plus two brand new offerings – have since been re-recorded by Dennis Pleckham at Comatose Studio in Bradley, IL and mastered by Carl Saff ( Melt Banana, Young Widows, Ghosts And Vodka ) in Chicago. Tiny Engines has taken these eight amazing tracks and issued 500 12-inches on white ( 300 ) and black ( 200 / 180 gram ) vinyl with stunning new artwork that features matte coating and UV spot gloss. The label will release the LP on August 17, 2010 in both 12-inch and digital formats while Stiffslack Records will release a CD version exclusive to Japan.
08:42 PM on 09/27/10
PIG DESTROYER
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i can't think of a single band out there who has a vocalist as awful as this, but who blows me away musically so much that I can't stop listening. I pray every night that they either get a new singer or this guy learns how to sing on key. He's just too gruff for how beautiful the music is. I will say, he definitely improved on this ep, and I think I've listened enough that he bothers me less and less and I'm starting to appreciate the grossness of his voice, but still.
absolutely beautiful stuff though. the end buildup of "midwest values" is one of the prettiest things I've ever heard.
02:21 PM on 09/28/10
exploration #4
Dude
User Info.
one of my favorites of 2010. simply beautiful music
03:30 PM on 09/28/10
cavern
amateur, imo
User Info.
love this album, too. totes agree with end of midwest values being damn good.
such a solid album.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums