AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Lil Wayne - I Am Not a Human Being Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 6
Production 6.75
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 6.75
Reviewer Tilt 6.75
Final Verdict: 68%
Member Ratings
Vocals 1.47
Musicianship 1.47
Lyrics 1.47
Production 1.47
Creativity 1.47
Lasting Value 1.47
Reviewer Tilt 1.47
Average: 15%
Inside AP.net

Lil Wayne - I Am Not a Human Being

Reviewed by: Ian Walker (09/27/10)
Lil Wayne - I Am Not a Human Being
Record Label: Cash Money Records
Release Date: September 27, 2010 (Digital) / October 12, 2010 (Physical)

Dwayne Carter is a man who really needs no introduction. Better known by his stage name Lil Wayne, Carter has become the master of producing catchy hip-hop music that carries little to no substance. It's fluff in every sense of the word. Believe me though, I say this with no malicious intent. Wayne has found his niche in today's hip-hop scene, and fills it perfectly release after release. His one key moment of experimentation came in the form of Rebirth, an interesting-on-paper fusion of rock and hip-hop that was released earlier this year. Rebirth was critically panned, its musical experimentation only serving to expose how little weight Wayne's lyrics actually carry. Although he's currently serving a prison sentence, Wayne was still able to release his latest album I Am Not a Human Being. Initially announced as an EP, it evolved into its current state after being padded with tracks produced for Wayne's upcoming Tha Carter IV. So, does Human Being carry over any influences from Rebirth?

Not really. Wayne is back to doing what he does best, exemplified perfectly in the opening track “Gonorrhea.” It opens with a generic club beat and synth melody that continue throughout the rest of the song, punctuated occasionally by sirens and hilarious lyrics. It's hard to accept that Wayne is serious with a chorus containing the line, “Pussy ass n***a, I don't wantcha gonorrhea,” but he and the track's feature Drake deliver the lyrics with the same sincerity as the verses. While their subject matter is nothing to write home about, both artists have an undeniable sense of flow and rhythm that makes even the most ridiculous lyrics quite infectious.

And speaking of Wayne's protégé, Drake makes quite a few appearances on Human Being. “With You” is a stripped down track featuring a main piano melody and possibly the only impressive production on the album. StreetRunner's production and Drake's vocal prowess during the chorus make this track a definite stand out on the short album. He also contributes a verse to “Right Above It” over repetitive synth chords and horn instrumentals. It's typical Young Money, with topical name drops and silly wordplay, but their delivery remains strong despite the lyrical content.

The album closes with “Bill Gates,” an entirely forgettable track that doesn't even entertain with typical Weezy antics. It's slow, repetitive, and overall the worst track on the album. While very few of his songs carry any sort of meaning or coherent thought, “Bill Gates” goes way beyond that. I'm torn between being happy this song won't be on Tha Carter IV and upset that it has to exist at all. Because Human Being does very little to impress, it was a huge mistake to make “Bill Gates” the last song and therefore the freshest in someone's mind when they think back on the album as a whole.

While a few of the songs stray a bit from the typical Wayne combination of “let people know my name/nickname, let them know how awesome I think I am, laugh a little bit, name drop, repeat” the majority are typical Weezy fare. Human Being, like most of of his extensive discography, holds very little water under intense scrutiny. But, let me reiterate: this is not always a bad thing. Wayne is an artist that has found what works in his range of talent and expands upon it as much as he can. While many of his songs are easy to laugh at, they are catchy and fun. If you are looking for an expansion of the genre into unknown territory, steer clear of Human Being. But if you don't mind a bit of silliness and would like a prelude to Tha Carter IV, definitely check this album out.

Track Listing1. Gonorrhea (feat. Drake)
2. Hold Up (feat. T-Streets)
3. With You (feat. Drake)
4. I Am Not a Human Being
5. I’m Single (feat. Drake)
6. What’s Wrong With Them (feat. Nicki Minaj)
7. Right Above It (feat. Drake)
8. Popular (feat. Lil Twist)
9. That Ain’t Me (feat. Jay Sean)
10. Bill Gates

Recommended If You LikeDrake, Birdman, Young Money artists

Official Website | Official Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 41
12:36 PM on 09/27/10
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Weezy's always been my guilty pleasure thanks to all the funny lyrics.

I really wish the production/beats would improve, though. Pretty much every song of his loops the same goddamn thing for 3-5 minutes, it would be nice to see more complete songs out of him than just verse/chorus/verse/chorus/verse..... endlessly over the exact same thing.
01:24 PM on 09/27/10
Hidden In NJ
Cilvia Demo
User Info.
old stuff>new stuff IMO

But I respect the guy!
01:49 PM on 09/27/10
Joe DeAndrea
Radiosurgery
User Info.
What's Wrong With Them is the shit.
01:49 PM on 09/27/10
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
User Info.
Never been a fan of the guy, but I gotta be curious as to how he releases music in jail.
02:02 PM on 09/27/10
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
May check this out. I do enjoy his work.
02:27 PM on 09/27/10
D' Evils
User Info.
fuck weezy
02:29 PM on 09/27/10
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
Not interested in this album, and the fact that Nicki Minaj is on it is the turning point for me to never listen to this
02:54 PM on 09/27/10
dashboardkid88
RVA
User Info.
Will definitely check this out sometime later tonight
02:54 PM on 09/27/10
RX XR
User Info.
Not interested in this review, and the fact that Nicki Minaj is on it is the turning point for me to never listen to this
i agree, i cant stand nikki minaj
03:03 PM on 09/27/10
HometownHero
User Info.
Not interested in this review, and the fact that Nicki Minaj is on it is the turning point for me to never listen to this
So uninterested you took the time to comment on it. She's on one song. Skip it.
03:12 PM on 09/27/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
You are a beast. I can't stop singing your praises. Masterful work, hombre.
03:23 PM on 09/27/10
Ian Walker
wes craven with x cravings.
User Info.

i agree, i cant stand nikki minaj

I didn't mention her much in the review because she doesn't really have a verse. She just sings a bit in the intro and chorus.

I fuck her in her dreams, and make her cum true.

I need to document all the hilarious things said on this album and edit them in. It would be a pretty big list.

You are a beast. I can't stop singing your praises. Masterful work, hombre.

You're too nice, man! I appreciate it though.
03:39 PM on 09/27/10
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Go die.
03:52 PM on 09/27/10
Chrisj182
User Info.
Need to check this out. And Nicki Menaj may not be the best looker, but she'd be dirty as anything in bed.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums