AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Goodnight Dance, The - Second Place Champions EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 5
Production 7
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 72%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Goodnight Dance, The - Second Place Champions EP

Reviewed by: DJWildefire (09/28/10)
The Goodnight Dance - Second Place Champions EP
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: September 6, 2010

The Goodnight Dance are a British female-fronted pop-punk band whom I became aware of due to a thread on this site created by a member of the band. After hearing a promising live video of the band, I anxiously awaited the upcoming debut EP. Well it's here and it's definitely worth a listen.

The EP is dynamic and fun, and despite the raw production (which I actually enjoy), the musicianship of the band definitely shows through due to some intricate guitar lines, something not commonly found in the genre. On album opener, "I Go To Jail And Still Collect My Two Hundred Dollars, Motherfucker!," a dance-y synth line leads into a neat little guitar riff. Some decent, if not extraordinarily powerful or polished, vocals carry the track. From the start, it's apparent that this not a lyrically brilliant work; lines like "I don't think that anyone has ever seen it get so bad, so maybe I'm better off without you" and others of similar caliber dominate this song and the entire EP. However, if you can overlook some distinctly mediocre lyrics and even a few cringe-worthy lines, the album is quite rewarding.

My personal favorite "In Over Your Head" has a catchy chorus and the vocalist's strongest performance on the album. "Let's Go" opens with a string intro and quickly dissolves into a strong, guitar-oriented track. While the album falls squarely in the pop-punk arena, little things are thrown in to separate them from the rest of the pack: note the percussive breakdown of "I Go To Jail and Still Collect My Two Hundred Dollars, Motherfucker!" and the impressive guitar work of "Private Times of Valentines." The only downside of the instrumental work is that, at times, the drummer gets a little bit too enthusiastic; this is most apparent on "Where We're Going We Don't Need Roads" where there are about twenty too many cymbal crashes in the chorus.

Yet despite a few flaws, the EP is at the very least decent and at the best a quality pop-punk record which fares well in comparison to contemporaries like Transit or The Wonder Years. Hopefully, they will only improve on future releases; the potential is there and all that's left to do for this band is take the test of time.

Recommended If You Like The thought of a female fronted version of The Wonder Years, true-to-form pop-punk, or solid debut EP's

http://www.myspace.com/thegoodnightdance

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7.
04:26 PM on 10/03/10
Juan Jose
User Info.
great review, I agree with everything you said, I never really took time to analyze the lyrics though. looking forward to anything else they put out
08:26 PM on 10/03/10
DJWildefire
On the verge of breathtaking
User Info.
great review, I agree with everything you said, I never really took time to analyze the lyrics though. looking forward to anything else they put out
Thanks man. This is the first album I've reviewed on here and it made me realize how tough it is to do. I'm looking forward to it as well; if they release something a little bit more polished (production-wise), that would be nice.
09:03 PM on 10/03/10
Juan Jose
User Info.
Thanks man. This is the first album I've reviewed on here and it made me realize how tough it is to do. I'm looking forward to it as well; if they release something a little bit more polished (production-wise), that would be nice.

yea I'd rather see the vocalist improve first though... I feel like if it wasn't for the british accent she would've been terrible
10:52 PM on 10/03/10
DJWildefire
On the verge of breathtaking
User Info.
yea I'd rather see the vocalist improve first though... I feel like if it wasn't for the british accent she would've been terrible
She has potential, she just needs some proper vocal training in my opinion.
06:51 PM on 10/15/10
luvsickcatalyst
wander eyes, ocean high.
User Info.
She has potential, she just needs some proper vocal training in my opinion.
Agreed completely. They sound alright, but production and vocals need to be worked on a tad.
08:42 AM on 10/27/10
DanTGD
Dynamite Hero
User Info.
Agreed completely. They sound alright, but production and vocals need to be worked on a tad.

Thanks for everyone's feed back so far, it's unbelievably awesome that people like the EP.

The production isn't the greatest we'll admit this, it was actually recorded in my living room over three days so it wasn't gonna have the shine most productions will have, just wanted to see what the view was on our band, since it's been so positive, we're going to record a new album in February / March at a shiny professional studio.

Thanks for listening (and downloading if you have, if not it's free http://thegoodnightdance.bandcamp.com)
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS