Username
Password
Video Games News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Video Games
Inside AP.net

Games Round-Up (10/03/10)

Posted by: Linda Ferreira (10/03/10)
This week's Games Round-Up can be read in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 30.
05:50 PM on 10/03/10
Linda Ferreira
retired maillady
User Info.
Thanks to Jim for putting this together.

Games Round-Up Well here we go again, time to get my soul crushed!

BONUS! Now with sections! Oh, and if you like links, skip to the end.

NINTENDO

Nintendo decided to pull the covers off the 3DS, it will be available in Japan on February 26th and retail for 25,000 Yen which is almost 300 American dollars. It looks like it will hit North America in either late March or early April. Many analysts believe that when it arrives here it will retail for no more than $250 because it will have to compete with the PSP and the iPod Touch. Included with the system are some nice augmented reality games, a telescoping metal stylus, 2GB SD card, and what appears to be an induction charging cradle. Classic gaming fans can rejoice in the fact that there will be downloadable Game Boy/Game Boy Advance games to make up for the fact that backwards compatibility has been lacking for those games since the introduction of the DSi. Also, if you're worried about all the precious DSiWare games you've downloaded to your DSi, relax you will be able to re-download them to your 3DS.

Last week I told you about FlingSmash which will come bundled with a Wii Remote Plus. Last week we also didn't have confirmation that the thing even existed. Well put your fears to rest, it's here and it's real. The controller will combine the Wii Remote with the Wii Remote Plus in a controller the same size as the original Wii Remote. No more attachments! The controller will come in white, black, blue and pink. No price has been revealed.

When Monster Hunter Tri was released back in April it came in a very hard to find bundle that included the new Classic Controller Pro. Capcom has decided to re-release that bundle for the holidays and sell it at a lower price of $49.99. If that wasn't cheap enough for you Amazon is selling it for $39.99. The bundle should be appearing on shelves already.

XBOX 360

Lionhead Studios released a smartphone app on Friday that's KIND of like 4 Square except that you become the king of locations and every time you do, you earn gold for you character in Fable 3. That's the good news, the bad news is that it's unavailable in North America. However if you're a Fable fan in the UK you can download Fable 3 Kingmaker now.

Forza 3 is getting an Ultimate Edition. Not only does it include all of the currently available DLC, but it's the first part of a with the BBC show Top Gear. It will include a code to download 90 minutes of footage from the show and 3 cars picked by the hosts of the show. You can read more about it and see the ridiculous amount of content included here. Look for it in late October.

SONY

Sony decided that now is the right time to drop the price on lots of games. They added 7 games to their greatest hits program including MAG, Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time, Demon's Souls, Call of Duty: World at War, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Tekken 6, and MotorStorm: Pacific Rift. Those games all now retail for $29.99. If that wasn't enough Sony also slashed the price of Mod Nation Racers the PS3 version is now $39.99 and the PSP version is $19.99. Then in just two weeks we see the release of Uncharted 2: Game of the Year Edition. It's packed with pretty much every piece of DLC and digital content ever released for the game. One of the best single player games ever released AND the complete multiplayer experience will only run you $49.99.

EVERYTHING ELSE

Speaking of Ultimate Editions the long rumored Dragon Age Ultimate Edition has been formally announced. For $59.99 you get every piece of DLC for the game AND the retail expansion Awakenings. It's $114 worth of bonus content. It's due out October 26th.

There hasn't been a NASCAR game in a while, and now we know why. Activision took the rights away from EA and have been toiling away on a game they are calling NASCAR 2011: The Game. Yeah, I know, the game part is unnecessary, but knowing most NASCAR fans maybe it's not. "You think thurs a real car in this here box?"

Iron Man and Clash of the Titan composer Ramin Djawadi will be the composer for EA's Medal of Honor reboot which is just another salvo in EA's ongoing bid to prove that their dick is bigger than Activision's. You might recall that Oscar Award winning composer Hans Zimmer composed Modern Warfare 2's score. See what they did there?

Speaking of Medal of Honor you WERE going to be able to play as the Taliban, but now you are going to play as the Opposing Force. Let's be clear here, they only changed the NAME of the team. Not character models or anything else. Just the name. Now everyone is happy? Ridiculous.

Were you an APB player who now finds yourself without an outlet for your gang running lifestyle? Well turns out if you complain to EA about it, you might get a free game or a credit to use in the EA online store. Good luck, thug.

If you were excited about picking up NBA Elite 11 this week, well then you can just forget it. The game has been shelved due to poor reception to the demo. To fill the void EA will release full versions of NBA Jam for Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. NBA Jam for the Wii will still release this week.

If you're thinking of picking up the Pro guitar for Rock Band 3, you should know that Rock Band 3 Pro DLC is going to cost you more. Pro guitar DLC will cost $1 more than regular DLC for the game.

Famed director Guillermo Del Toro's collaboration with THQ will be "Lovecraftian" in nature and wont be out until 2013 at the earliest. Yikes.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West will get some DLC soon, but it wont be new costumes or a new map. It will be an entire new single player adventure staring a completely different protagonist. Creativity? In gaming? What?

Cult classic Beyond Good and Evil is getting HDified and released on Playstation Network and Xbox Live Arcade by the end of the year. If you've been waiting for more info on the on again off again sequel to BGaE, I would buy this.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode 1 will finally see release in the coming weeks. October 7th on iPhone, October 11th for WiiWare, October 12th on Playstation Network, and October 13th it arrives on Xbox Live Arcade. For consoles it will run you the equivalent of $15. No word on a price for the iPhone.

Finally, Ron Gilbert who along with Tim Schafer helped create some of the greatest adventure games of all time has rejoined his old friend at Schafer's Double Fine. No word on what they are working on or even when we'll see it, but it's good to see them together again.

PSAs

If you've been infected by the Metroid locked door glitch, you'll have to send your save file on an SD card to Nintendo.

A PC beta for Medal of Honor starts October 4th.

The Writer DLC for Alan Wake releases October 12th for 560 MS Points.

MAG is now version 2.0 and includes tons of new features like a more MMO like sill tree system for leveling.

The PS3 remake of Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath is only exclusive to PS3 because Xbox Live has a strict 2 GB file cap and the game currently clocks in at 2.1 GB. No word on whether Microsoft will budge on this in time for Oddworld's release.

Call of Duty: BlackOps will be the 2nd Treyarch produced CoD game to feature a mode where you fight zombies.

RELEASES

WiiParty (Wii)
Pokemon Ranger Guardian Signs (DS)
Enslaved (Xbox 360, Playstation 3)
DefJam Rapstar (Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Wii)
NBA 2K11 (Xbox 360, Playstation 3)
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (Xbox 360, Playstation 3)
Way of the Samurai 3 (Wii)
Final Fantasy the 4 heroes of light (DS)
NBA Jam (Wii)

LINKS

Looking for links to video game news?

Four Player Co-Op
Joystiq
Kotaku
1UP
Destructoid
MTV Multiplayer
CVG

Contributor: be mine
That's going to do it for this week. You can listen to my weekly video game podcast here. You can follow me on Twitter here. Remember to keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for those controllers!
05:58 PM on 10/03/10
ThrownAwayKyle
User Info.
can't wait for the 3DS!! my nintendo ds lite got stolen a while back so i have been having DS withdrawals :(
06:10 PM on 10/03/10
raptorz44
One Who Gets Away/NJ Success Story
User Info.
Quote:
Yeah, I know, the game part is unescesarry, but knowing most NASCAR fans maybe it's not. "You think thurs a real car in this here box?"

I lol'd
06:13 PM on 10/03/10
StepsInADance
http://taeyeonlogic.tumblr.com/
User Info.
In other news Pokemon Black & White continues to be epic
06:13 PM on 10/03/10
thesollopsist
Up all night, and down all day
User Info.
can't wait for the 3DS!! my nintendo ds lite got stolen a while back so i have been having DS withdrawals :(
Wow that sucks, only like 6 more months. Keep strong
06:22 PM on 10/03/10
Miketheunicycle
"Look mom, no hands!"
User Info.
same haha

nascar games are only fun when you turn around, racing right turns instead of left and crash with the leading car
07:00 PM on 10/03/10
lemontie
Games Round-up Creator
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
How many other people care that Megaman Legends 3 Project was announced for the 3DS? I basically shit myself
07:07 PM on 10/03/10
HeavenResign
Registered Member
User Info.
Stranger's Wrath was such a great game, reading this is bringing back memories! Odd to think it's going to be a remake though...would this be on PSN or Xbox Live I guess? Or as a full blown disc?
08:01 PM on 10/03/10
TSTLSOOM
Hayley > Hayley
User Info.
weird that activision has the rights to NASCAR now, since GT4 will also have them in the game
08:04 PM on 10/03/10
be mine
Video games are for children
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
weird that activision has the rights to NASCAR now, since GT4 will also have them in the game
Those rights probably lapsed in the time it took for GT 5 to come out.

Plus the game's not out until next year.
08:05 PM on 10/03/10
be mine
Video games are for children
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
How many other people care that Megaman Legends 3 Project was announced for the 3DS? I basically shit myself
The games announced for the 3DS are all pretty incredible, I don't believe like half of them.
08:34 PM on 10/03/10
neverender2113
dood
User Info.
For some reason when i saw Games Round-up I was expecting to see shit like Monopoly or Connect Four. This is cool too tho.
08:35 PM on 10/03/10
TSTLSOOM
Hayley > Hayley
User Info.
Those rights probably lapsed in the time it took for GT 5 to come out.

Plus the game's not out until next year.
oops yeah that is right. and lol at me calling it GT4 when its obviously GT5. haha
09:02 PM on 10/03/10
rr_thecrowing
twitter.com/kreeger
User Info.
I'm gonna have to start reading these Game Roundup posts more often; this was great. Thanks to you, I now know that BG&E is being re-released, and two of the greatest minds in the biz are teaming up once more (Schafer & Gilbert).

Thanks for the info!
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests