Username
Password
Myspace News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Myspace
Inside AP.net

Band Boot Camp

Posted by: Scott Weber (12/08/06)
You thought artist development was just for label weasels? You're wrong. Loren Israel has been doing it for years. He started out at Capitol and went on to discover and develop the likes of Jimmy Eat World, Less Than Jake, Plain White T's, and Rock Kills Kid, among many others. Luke Wood (AFI, Brand New, All American Rejects) seems to like what Loren has done - He just signed upstarts Midnight Hour to Interscope records. Check out Loren's "Band Boot Camp" on MySpace and learn the ropes of the industry. Watch the video and listen to testimonials - Loren is the real deal.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 21
01:54 PM on 12/08/06
jetsto
User Info.
didnt no idea records "discover" less than jake?
02:13 PM on 12/08/06
JimmyRifle
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
and wooden blue JEW?

and if Lauren was at Capitol when Jimmy Eat World was, then I would not say they developed the band as much as they dropped the ball (and then dropped the band) on them.
02:21 PM on 12/08/06
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
From Loren's Wikipedia page: (to clear up all confusion)

Career

As an A&R executive for Capitol, Loren brought Less Than Jake, Jimmy Eat World, and Annie Stella. He independently produced and signed The Hippos to Interscope Records, Automatic 7 to A&M / Vagrant Records and Jason Morphew to Sony Music. He was as an A&R consultant to Jimmy Eat World's self-titled CD for DreamWorks.

Outside of Capitol Records, Loren began developing independent artists in 2001. He worked extensively with Rock Kills Kid from 2001-2004 and produced and managed the band's first EP release on Fearless Records in 2003. This led to the band being signed to Reprise Records and in 2006 released their first major record label record, Are You Nervous.

Loren also scouted and developed the Plain White T's. He produced and managed the bands first two albums Stop (2001) and All That We Needed(2005). He was directly responsible for the band establishing a marketing presence on Myspace with 200,000+ friends. The popularity of the band garnered them a deal with Hollywood Records in 2006 and released Every Second Counts September, 2006.

In addition, Loren worked on Sugarcult's 2006 Album Lights Out released in September.

Loren currently does A&R consulting for Virgin Records, Epic Records, and Warner Bros. Records, and also runs two companies. The first, Band Boot Camp, is where Loren personally assists artists in the areas of songwriting, stage presence, and self marketing in a one-day workshop in a studio in Hollywood. Second, his Music Mentor Program, allows him to work with emerging artists on a longer basis.
02:27 PM on 12/08/06
cue john denver
User Info.
this seems sketchy. like one of those "how to write a screenplay" seminars that writers go to.
02:34 PM on 12/08/06
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
I can assure you that Loren is not only legit, but one of the most knowledgable people I've ever met in the industry. He's smart, friendly, and in just talking to the bands he's done artist development for, he's helped their careers immensely. It's not a scam. Loren's a great guy and a straight shooter.
04:09 PM on 12/08/06
AdamWASFearless
The Rational Voice of AP.net
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I love Loren and worked with him quite a bit when I was at Fearless. He remains a good friend to this day. I assure you it's not a scam.
04:10 PM on 12/08/06
Paul Tao
User Info.
I love Loren and worked with him when I was at Fearless. He remains a good friend to this day. I assure you it's not a scam.
10:38 PM on 12/08/06
Matt_Dizzle
User Info.
pretty cool.
12:33 PM on 12/09/06
kristopher
Punk Rock - Tom Petty - Nachos
User Info.
Loren knows his stuff.
06:33 AM on 12/11/06
Chevy114
User Info.
I like how he takes credit for stop by the plain white t's. They already had it written and released as an indie album and then when fearless got a hold of it they just touched up the sound and revamped the lyrics to your fault. So if he wants to claim remastering a good album on his resume good job, but I'm not impressed. Nor am I impressed that he got bands that were doing great on small labels and brought them up major labels. /rant
10:38 AM on 12/11/06
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
I like how he takes credit for stop by the plain white t's. They already had it written and released as an indie album and then when fearless got a hold of it they just touched up the sound and revamped the lyrics to your fault. So if he wants to claim remastering a good album on his resume good job, but I'm not impressed. Nor am I impressed that he got bands that were doing great on small labels and brought them up major labels. /rant
If you watch the video on that myspace page, Plain White T's have lots of praise for him...
05:59 AM on 12/12/06
Chevy114
User Info.
If you watch the video on that myspace page, Plain White T's have lots of praise for him...

Yeah they also like all that we needed and wont play anything from stop, so I guess we don't see eye to eye on everything.
08:49 AM on 12/12/06
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
Yeah they also like all that we needed and wont play anything from stop, so I guess we don't see eye to eye on everything.
like that's relevant in the least.
10:09 AM on 12/12/06
Chevy114
User Info.
like that's relevant in the least.

I think it's relevant, they like something I don't in both cases.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests