AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Looking For Alaska - Everything We All Wish... Album Cover

Looking For Alaska - Everything We All Wish...

Reviewed by
Looking For Alaska - Everything We All Wish We Could Be EP
Record Label: Smith 7
Release Date: August 17, 2010
"It's all been done," as indie-rock band Looking For Alaska intone melodiously in the song "1:9"; what is personally one of my favorite songs off their debut EP entitled "Everything We All Wish We Could Be." If this is true - if it all has indeed been done before - they do a good job of keeping things interesting with all six songs, including unforgettable phrases and instrumentals. Looking For Alaska, formed in the summer of 2009, brings a new surprise and life-applicable meaning with every new song.

For instance, the first song on the EP is titled "Masquerade." This is a perfect opening song because of the drums that catch your ear from the get-go reeling you in. The guitar, the bass you can actually hear, the drums that make you wish you could play, and the catchy vocal patterns that stick in your head all day: it has all there is plus more. The title itself gives the meaning partly away: there are people hiding behind their "masks" and going about their lives existing as a fake identity. The last lyric in the song encourages everyone to shed their hypocrisy and not "be afraid to make mistakes because we all do."

The next song, “Why Worry,” brings subtle reference to Matthew 6:34 (a verse in the Bible) with its line “Today is enough for today, tomorrow can wait another day.” This song is a non-preachy way of saying to take each day as it comes; it is a message that is rarely sung about, but in my opinion, much needed. This song switches up and grabs your attention with the upbeat guitar starting you off, and once the rest of the band kicks in, it makes your toes tap automatically.

Third is the title track of the EP, and is about wanting to better yourself and become like that person in your life who is “everything we all wish we could be.” This song includes vocal melodies that stick in your head all day along with interesting instrumentations with tapping both from the bassist and lead guitarist.

“Forgiveness is an ugly word when it means proving yourself”; “That Song” is one of their more pop-based, musically and one of their truest, lyrically. It is about learning to admit to yourself and other that you are the one in the wrong, a feat that can at times be quite difficult.

Changing the mood altogether and continuing on to the fifth song, “In This Together” has a chorus that gets you amped with vocals determined to make a change, and lyrics that make you want to (almost literally) go “tear down these walls.” This song’s lyrics are about making that line of separation within churches and people nonexistent so everyone can make a change for the better.

Finally, circling back around to 1:9 and finishing on a cheerful note with group chants and catchy repeated phrases, a song about being happy doing what you want to do; after all, “There is nothing new beneath the sun.”

You will proudly sing an old song after listening to this EP.

Recommended If You LikeHouse of Heroes, Saves the Day, Copeland
This review is a user submitted review from Samanthaesg. You can see all of Samanthaesg's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 26
10:13 AM on 10/12/10
VeryWittyName
User Info.
Named after my favourite book. Does John Green know about this band?
11:02 AM on 10/12/10
Rustash
User Info.
Came in here to say this. I got super excited when i saw the band name.
11:11 AM on 10/12/10
JuneJuly
Allez l'OL
User Info.
Looking for Alaska is a great book. I hated Paper Towns though.
11:12 AM on 10/12/10
sprinklerthief
User Info.
Came in here to say this. I got super excited when i saw the band name.
ditto.
11:12 AM on 10/12/10
sprinklerthief
User Info.
Looking for Alaska is a great book. I hated Paper Towns though.
actually paper towns is one of my favorites. what did you hate about it?
11:19 AM on 10/12/10
JuneJuly
Allez l'OL
User Info.
actually paper towns is one of my favorites. what did you hate about it?

I loved LFA so much, and after reading Paper Towns I just thought there were so many bogus similarities between the two. Plus, I absolutely couldn't relate to the girl in Paper Towns. (as well as that stupid cow scene, hah)
11:24 AM on 10/12/10
sprinklerthief
User Info.
I loved LFA so much, and after reading Paper Towns I just thought there were so many bogus similarities between the two. Plus, I absolutely couldn't relate to the girl in Paper Towns. (as well as that stupid cow scene, hah)
ah ok. i guess he does repeat himself. i read paper towns first, though, so that might be why.
11:26 AM on 10/12/10
Kbuff
User Info.
LFA and An Abundance of Katherines rules. I'm worried this band won't live up to it's name. Will check it out when I get home.
12:55 PM on 10/12/10
Calvin Lauber
User Info.
Wow, really cool to see a review of us on here. Thanks for the kind words!
Anyone who is interested, here's where you can listen to us- www.myspace.com/lookingforalaskaband

A past interviewer from another website emailed him about the band on how we named the book after the novel, and he supposedly reads all of his emails, so more than likely he is at least aware of us. You can read the interview here- http://lostinthesound.com/interviews...or-alaska.html

LFA and An Abundance of Katherines rules. I'm worried this band won't live up to it's name. Will check it out when I get home.

Hopefully we live up to the awesomeness of the novel! Let me know what you think!
04:05 PM on 10/12/10
VeryWittyName
User Info.
A past interviewer from another website emailed him about the band on how we named the book after the novel, and he supposedly reads all of his emails, so more than likely he is at least aware of us. You can read the interview here- http://lostinthesound.com/interviews...or-alaska.html

Hopefully we live up to the awesomeness of the novel! Let me know what you think!

Awesome to see Nerdfighters in a band :) I met him in London recently, you can hear me take the piss out of his accent at 38 seconds in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3arsi-LLVI

I'll be checking you guys out soon purely for the name, haha.
09:11 PM on 10/12/10
natalieruthless
nerdfighter.
User Info.
giving a listen because of the name. its one of my favorite books. :)

what im hearing so far is pretty good. :)
09:12 PM on 10/12/10
Calvin Lauber
User Info.
Awesome to see Nerdfighters in a band :) I met him in London recently, you can hear me take the piss out of his accent at 38 seconds in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3arsi-LLVI

I'll be checking you guys out soon purely for the name, haha.
Hahaha thats awesome! And haha very cool, nothing wrong with that, let me know what you think!
05:40 PM on 10/13/10
handlikesecret
inverted-album-art.tumblr.com
User Info.
awesome review. from what i've heard on their myspace, they seem like a pretty solid band.

seems like i'll enjoy the band more than the book, at least.
06:14 PM on 10/13/10
Sarcasm
lostinthesound.com
User Info.
Sweet review and a great band.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT