AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

General Announcement News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Technology Round-Up (10/05/10)

Posted by - 01:19 AM on 10/05/10
Head to the replies to read this week's Technology Round-Up.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16
01:19 AM on 10/05/10
Linda Ferreira
The Retired Maillady
User Info.
Thanks to Chad and Melissa for putting this together.

Technology Round-Up Poll

Laptop owners have reported "toasted skin syndrome" due to extreme heat emanating from the computers resting on people's laps.

Have you ever been injured by a computer or phone? [Poll]

Apple

Apple is appealing a $625.5 million decision over a patent dispute.

68% of iPhone apps transmit unique identifiers. Speaking of apps, Apple has apparently finally approved the official Google Voice app.

Google will remain the default search engine on Apple devices.

It appears that the iPhone 5 and iPad 2 will feature a built-in CDMA chip. Sounds like Apple might be abandoning the AT&T ship.

The next iPhone might feature a touchscreen.

It appears that Ping will become integrated into Facebook.

Check out a review of the latest Apple TV. Speaking of the Apple TV, it has been jailbroken though the exploit has not been publicly released yet.

Apple's iAd restrictions caused Adidas to back out of a $10 million deal.

Internet

Read this fantastic interview with Aza Raskin, the Creative Lead of Firefox, where he explains how Firefox and Panorama are the future of the web... quite in contrast with Lifehacker's position that Chrome is slowly taking over Firefox's market of "power users".

It appears as though Skype will soon get Facebook integration to allow users to talk and video chat with their Facebook friends

Use YouTube Social to simultaneously watch videos with friends.

Try out Merriam-Webster's Visual Dictionary to find out what things are called.

Even Microsoft's recent release of Internet Explorer 9 Beta can't keep the browser afloat in terms of market share.

Last.fm put together a very interesting infographic relating age and gender to musical preferences. It seems that as people age, their gender doesn't play much of a role in their musical preferences.

This week, PayPal will allow users to simply take a photo of the front and back of a check to deposit it in their account.

One guy wants to use YouTube to revolutionize the education system.

The Kindle is now available on the web.

AOL purchased another blog, TechCrunch.

Take a look at (and stay away from) the 17 most dangerous places on the web.

Google

Google Street View is now up and running for all 7 continents (yes, that includes Antarctica), but the Czech Republic just banned the service.

Google Translate now supports Latin.

The Translate team is working on a cool new product called Conversation Mode. It would allow users to have a conversation in their own languages and have the other person's words repeated back in any other language.

Google Instant Search
appears to have its own set of "dirty phrases" - things you actually have to press "Enter" to get results for. Take a look at the list--some of them don't really make sense.

Google Instant Search comes to Chrome!

Google has acquired Blindtype, which as the name indicates, is a mobile keyboard which does not require the user to look at the screen (check out the videos). Chad dreams of BlindSwype.

Google is working a new image format based on VP8 to replace JPEG as the default image format.

Google Docs has gotten some much needed revision history updates.

Chrome 7 was released this week, as per the 6-week cycle between versions.

Logitech will be unveiling its line of Google TV products (yes, that's plural) on October 6, just 6 days before Sony is set to announce their own Google TV lineup.

The winners of Project 10^100, a search for organizations who want to change the world, were chosen this week. Each of the five organization was awarded between $1 and $3 million each to make their idea possible.

Electronics

The Jaguar C-X75 is electric-powered, will reach 60 mph in 3.4 seconds, and will top out at 205 mph. It's also nowhere near production.

Belkin's Conserve Gateway is a "cloud-based management system" to track your home's total energy usage. Belkin's also got this Conserve Smart AV Surge Protector that controls the amount of energy sent to devices that aren't on.

Check out these 10 awesome inventions from the World's Maker Fare at the New York Hall of Science.

Looks like Justin Bieber is getting his own line of headphones.

Curved escalators are in our future.

A German company is bringing gold-dispensing machines to the US.

The Espresso Book Machine creates books in 3.5 minutes using Xerox technology, and will hopefully show up at libraries and small booksellers across the country within the next year.

Teenage Engineering's OP-1, apparently the most anticipated synthesizer of all time, is getting closer and closer to being released.

Border's eReader, Kobo, gets some much-needed updates and will be shipped just in time for the holidays.

Mobile

Good news for Verizon customers: Verizon has agreed to pay out $90 million to customers for "wrongful data charges." Bad news: this will only result in a $2 to $6 credit on their upcoming bills.

It appears that states which ban texting actually have more crashes than states which allow it. As expected, people are still texting--they're just now doing it without the benefit of peripheral vision.

Dallas/Ft. Worth MetroPCS customers will be able to experience 4G speed soon.

30 Android apps have been "outed" for sharing data without telling the users.

The sequel to the T-Mobile myTouch 3G will be called the myTouch (no typo there...it's just the "myTouch") and will feature Android 2.2, a 3.8" screen, a 5-mp camera with 720p video recording, and a 1GHz next-generation Snapdragon processor. People who jumped on the G2 bandwagon and are suffering from loose hinges and half the offered storage possibly should have waited.

The Epic 4G update that will fix 3G upload speeds is still on hold.

The HTC HD7 will feature Dolby sound.

See how the Nokia N8 and its 12-mp camera compares to the iPhone 4's camera.

Europeans will get a 14-mp Android phone called the Altek Leo in early 2011.

Check out the Android-based HTC Merge/Lexicon.

Check out the Sharp IS03 Android phone.

Virgin Mobile has launched its Android-based Samsung Intercept.

See which Android browser has the fastest load times.

Computer

Rumor has it that the Dell Streak 7-inch tablet will be released in the next few weeks.

RIM has officially unveiled the 7-inch PlayBook (yes, the device formerly rumored to be called the Blackpad).

Check out a review of the Netbook Navigator Nav 9 Slate, an 8.9-inch tablet PC that runs Windows 7.

Engadget has run a comparison of the PlayBook, Streak, Slate, and iPad.

AMD is promoting "twice the power" in its upcoming Radeon HD 6770 and 6750 spec sheets.

Nvidia will start manufacturing and selling its own video cards rather than just supplying the chips for other manufacturers.

Acer has released a couple pretty impressive Predator gaming PCs.

Razer will release the Razer Mouse Bungee, the perfect accessory for gamers who want wired peripherals but don't want to deal with the cord getting snagged.

Having computer problems? It could always be worse...check out the 10 best ways to mess up a computer (well, it could always be worse if you haven't done these things to your machine).

While people debate Windows vs. OS X till they're blue in the face, let's take a look at five reasons why Linux is better than OS X.

Tips/Tricks

Get Internet Explorer 9 running just how you like it with IE9 Tweaker.

Learn how to search even faster on Google with keyboard shortcuts.

Gmail users can now turn off conversation view if they want an old-fashioned e-mail style (why would you ever want that though?).

OS X users can add window previews and more to their docks with HyperDock.

iPad owners, check out Download Squad's list of "Seven essential apps for your iPad."

Learn how you sleep at night with Sleep Bot for Android.

Protect your Android phone using Lookout (free), which features antivirus and the ability to remotely locate your phone using a siren and GPS.

Ubuntu users can now stream music to Android phones with the Ubuntu One Music app.

Miscellaneous

How much do you loathe super-loud TV commercials? They are one step closer to extinction, thanks to a bill aptly called CALM.

IBM is teaming up with the City University of New York to create a school for grades 9-14. Students will graduate with a high-school diploma, an associate's degree, and preference for job openings at the company.

Mark Zuckerberg is donating $100 million to help schools in Newark, New Jersey.

What exactly is a fanboy?

Watch this sweet video on how ink is made.

For those of you who really wanted to be astronauts but couldn't bear going that long without beer, check out this new beer that is designed to be consumed in zero gravity.

Magnets developed in California can turn you from a rightie to a leftie.

The owner of Segway, Inc. died earlier this week; he was testing out a version built for roving over rough terrain and fell off a cliff.

--
Contributors: CyberInferno, klawansie7
01:44 AM on 10/05/10
flask
Registered Member
User Info.
"The next iPhone might feature a touchscreen."
you should change that to iMac since the iPhone already does feature a touchscreen.
01:44 AM on 10/05/10
Bryannnnn
User Info.

damn, should have waited..
01:46 AM on 10/05/10
juice182
User Info.
thanks for this! also, noticed that^
02:14 AM on 10/05/10
Mochem
User Info.
Quote:
The owner of Segway, Inc. died earlier this week; he was testing out a version built for roving over rough terrain and fell off a cliff.
03:45 AM on 10/05/10
EchoPark
promesas son sombras
User Info.
iPhone 4 camera shits all over the N8. Goes to show that "megapixel" has no bearing on the quality of the photograph produced
04:15 AM on 10/05/10
esposimi
The Human Fund
User Info.
I still don't buy rumors of a CDMA iPhone.
06:01 AM on 10/05/10
zbrmike79
Ran Away From Home
User Info.
there are already curving escalators in Las Vegas, i've seen em!
06:58 AM on 10/05/10
sevinw0rds
Polyrhythms!
User Info.
As someone who's 42% tech savvy, 58% tech stupid, this thing rules my week, every week.
08:28 AM on 10/05/10
ACA
Next Show: Balance&Composure 12/27
User Info.
iPhone 4 cannot be jailbroken yet (if purchased in October, September, or August)

This is "news" in a way. Everyone had predicted 4.1 to be jailbroken by end of September.
08:35 AM on 10/05/10
klawansie7
do you believe in magic?
User Info.
i know! how sad. and ironic...
09:35 AM on 10/05/10
only the clouds
throw your body on the bad times
User Info.
This was a lot more exciting when I could only see the video still where it looked like you could just ride the escalator around and around.
09:45 AM on 10/05/10
Rest_Easy
accidentally on purpose
User Info.
I just for the life of me can not understand why Apple thought to limit their appletv to 720p.
If it had 1080 (even if just for show) and could play files off an external or internal HDD then It'd be a competitor but as is it's no more than an impulse buy for the uneducated.
So sad because I bet the iOS on it is very nice too.

You can get a Roku, a boxee, a wdtv live, a cinematube, a small HTPC dedicated to video viewing etc. etc. etc.
10:27 AM on 10/06/10
CyberInferno
Tech Round-up Author,Chipotle Lover
User Info.
you should change that to iMac since the iPhone already does feature a touchscreen.
damn, should have waited..
thanks for this! also, noticed that^
Typos are the pitfalls of procrastination lol. I lay some of the blame on Apple for having every product called i______.

I still don't buy rumors of a CDMA iPhone.
I want Verizon to get the iPhone so the rumors will finally disappear. I feel redundant posting variants of these rumors week after week, but if it's news, it gets posted!

As someone who's 42% tech savvy, 58% tech stupid, this thing rules my week, every week.
Thanks for reading!

iPhone 4 cannot be jailbroken yet (if purchased in October, September, or August)

This is "news" in a way. Everyone had predicted 4.1 to be jailbroken by end of September.
New iPads with 3.2.2 firmware can't be jailbroken yet either, much to my dismay. Though I would have never purchased an iPad, I got one for free using a sponsor program online.

I just for the life of me can not understand why Apple thought to limit their appletv to 720p.
If it had 1080 (even if just for show) and could play files off an external or internal HDD then It'd be a competitor but as is it's no more than an impulse buy for the uneducated.
So sad because I bet the iOS on it is very nice too.

You can get a Roku, a boxee, a wdtv live, a cinematube, a small HTPC dedicated to video viewing etc. etc. etc.
If I had to guess, I would say that they're more worried about performance than quality. It can probably output 1080p, but I bet it would slow down a bit during water-intense scenes. It's the same reason that they don't put multitasking on the iPhone 3G. Is it capable? Of course. Jailbroken ones can multitask away. But Apple refuses to risk slowing down the phone.

Also, I think Apple banks on the fact that most people can't tell the difference between 1080p and 720p, and TV programs are broadcast at 720p (or 1080i) anyway. Personally, I use my PS3 and stream shows/movies from my computer. Wired connection from computer, wireless streaming to PS3. Sadly, 1080p just won't stream fluidly through the floor on 802.11g, so 720p is mostly what I watch anyway. Unless it's a movie I really want to watch in 1080p and I copy the whole file to the PS3 hard drive first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos