AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
SpacePimps, The - Stuck Here Forever Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 7
Production 8
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 75%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.36
Musicianship 8.32
Lyrics 8.11
Production 8.36
Creativity 8.14
Lasting Value 8.11
Reviewer Tilt 8.32
Average: 82%

SpacePimps, The - Stuck Here Forever

Reviewed by: Thomas Nassiff (10/07/10)
The SpacePimps - Stuck Here Forever
Record Label: Unsigned
Release: June 8, 2010

Who?

The SpacePimps (please just ignore their name until you hear them) are a three-piece pop punk group out of Pittsburgh. Their second release, Stuck Here Forever, is 12 songs of "retro" pop punk. While it's a stretch to call any pop punk "retro", it's widely accepted that there's a difference between the early-decade groups that made the genre popular and the groups that followed them. In 2010, however, we have plenty of pop punk bands who are worthy of recognition and are leading the genre to new heights. Above all, we are done writing about the genre being saved or needed to be saved or whatever. Pop punk is not dead, it is alive and kicking, and The SpacePimps deserve to be included in the party.

How Is It?

It may sound cliché, but it's refreshing. Considerably refreshing. Just take the lyrics to "2003", the track that gives the album its name: "2003 is the only time that ever made sense to me / Four chords, a punk rock show and we were good to go / Nobody cared about the clothes you wore, the Myspace pose / No, I don't want to add you as a friend / Let's go back to that place." Sure, this topic matter has been explored before, and sure, The SpacePimps aren't reinventing the wheel, even by pop punk standards. But with soaring vocals and larger-than-life hooks courtesy of lead singer/guitarist Rishi Bahl and a solid rhythm section provided by bassist Brian Cain and drummer Jared Roscoe, it doesn't matter that they aren't pushing any limits.

In a band that started out by playing blink-182 covers at high school talent shows, it isn't hard to guess what The SpacePimps sound like or write about. Songs like "2003" delve into the ever-popular subject of the adored pop punk bands of old versus the less celebrated acts that followed them. Other tracks like opener "DIY Till I Die" and closer "Confessions of An Independent Band" explore the band's mindset and daily lifestyle. Countless others are, of course, about girls ("The Guide to Ruining Your Life" and "Hillcrest" are highlights), something that should be expected on an album such as this.

Towards the end, we hear "The Downside Of Growing Up", which stands out as the best track The SpacePimps present on Stuck Here Forever. It's easy to sing along to, and with a strong chorus and good guitar work, it's the sort of song that you should enjoy before the sun goes away for winter.

While The SpacePimps aren't the most well known group, even among the pop punk scene, the quality of Stuck Here Forever is noteworthy enough to be mentioned along with bands more adored than them. They might be living in the past, but they have a bright future.

Recommended If You Likeblink-182, New Found Glory, you know some other bands that play that pop punk stuff
Follow Me On TwitterIf you fall, I will catch you. I'll be waiting, time after time.
Bare Essentials1. DIY 'Til We Die
2. Trust Comes Tough
3. The Guide To Ruining Your Life
4. She Had It Coming
5. 2003
6. Running Away (Leave The Light On)
7. This One's For You, Mandy Moore
8. Hillcrest
9. When Music Mattered
10. The Downside Of Growing Up
11. The Other Side
12. Confessions Of An Independent Band
Run Time: 36 minutes
Star Rating: 3.5 out of 5 Stars
Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19.
02:36 AM on 10/07/10
cereal4life
User Info.
3.5/5 = 70%, not 75%. Say what?!
03:34 AM on 10/07/10
Gautz
Music makes life bearable!
User Info.
I'll be checking this out, good review Thomas!
06:06 AM on 10/07/10
topher465
every shining time you arrive
User Info.
If you like pop-punk you'll love this band.
06:16 AM on 10/07/10
Buzzpoots
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Getting the attention that the band deserves. This record, simply put, is honest, realistic, and amazing.
06:18 AM on 10/07/10
iseejosh
Registered Member
User Info.
looked em up, really good stuff. but honestly i could never see myself wearing a shirt that said 'space pimps' and still expect to get laid.
06:23 AM on 10/07/10
Buzzpoots
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
looked em up, really good stuff. but honestly i could never see myself wearing a shirt that said 'space pimps' and still expect to get laid.
It will increase your sexual activity by at least 3...believe me
07:27 AM on 10/07/10
Josie128
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great review, I hope this band blows up. They are better than any pop punk band in the scene these days. And I'm pretty sure it's "MySpace whores," not "myspace pose."
09:10 AM on 10/07/10
Mario57
We can gallop upon the sea...
User Info.
One of the few new pop-punks bands i like.
09:48 AM on 10/07/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
3.5/5 = 70%, not 75%. Say what?!
Are you kidding?
12:33 PM on 10/07/10
RyanFTW
ATTACK POP PUNK
User Info.
Am I to understand there are pimps in space?

DID I TAKE THE RED PILL?!
06:41 PM on 10/07/10
knash9
Registered Member
User Info.
stood next to one of the guys in the band for over an hour and didnt realize it until a few weeks ago lol
06:55 PM on 10/07/10
cereal4life
User Info.
Absolutely!
11:18 AM on 10/08/10
pound121
the man who made the world a desert
User Info.
i'm from pittsburgh and i've seen them a couple times they have a really good stage presence. they'll stand up there and talk to the crowd in between songs and make jokes on themselves. you can tell they really love doing it. Also they cover Wannabe by The Spice Girls.
03:30 AM on 10/10/10
Frosty
Sexy User
User Info.
Heard these guys some time ago, I liked what I heard then so I'll check them out again I guess.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS