Username
Password

Album Review

Carpenter - Sea to Sky Album Cover

Carpenter - Sea to Sky

Reviewed by
Carpenter - Sea to Sky
Release Date: September 21, 2010
Record Label: Paper + Plastick (In Amurrica), Gold Stock Records (In Canadia)
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
“The band is a vehement messenger against the corporate-based Agribusiness industry; they've promoted sustainable farming practices and encouraged support of organizations such as Canadian Organic Growers and Farm Folk City Folk.”

How’s that for an opening sentence?

The quote, which was taken from Carpenter’s biography on Paper + Plastick’s website, sort of sums up what to expect from the four-piece Canadian rock and roll/orgcore group. In short, expect the unexpected. Also expect 10 songs and 33 minutes of a good time.

Carpenter draws influences from a few different places, ranging from classic rock artists to some of the bigger names in the DIY punk scene. Vocalist and guitarist Daniel Sioui is exuberant in his love for John Cougar Mellencamp, as is evidenced by the band’s Myspace URL (myspace.com/johncougarisgod). The band also lists Bruce Springsteen as an influence, which is mainly heard in the group’s songwriting and song structure, and some tracks have an Allman Brothers feel to them. On the other side of the spectrum, Carpenter says that Texas Is the Reason and Hot Water Music are influences, which seems to be the basis for their own DIY attitude.

The band’s new record, Sea to Sky, is the follow-up to 2008’s Law of the Land and is the group’s first release for Paper + Plastick. Sea to Sky is raw, intense, and purpose-driven. The lyrical content is honest, revealing, and showcases Carpenter’s working-class ethos. In short, Sea to Sky is one of the better rock and roll albums of the year.

Right from the beginning, you can tell that Carpenter do things a little differently. Opener "Mean Things" starts out with a catchy hook and sees Carpenter alternating between 4/4 and 6/8 time. Aside from the fact that not many bands even do that, Carpenter do it and do it well, crafting a quirky and fiery opener for the record.

Sea to Sky benefits a lot from the order of its songs. Some tracks ("Common Law", "Joan") showcase Sioui's relaxed yet impassioned vocals. Others, like "Long Hard Day", "Northern Exposure", and "One Horse Town", have a more anthemic feel and keep the album moving nicely. Those three songs are all packed together near the middle of the album and serve as a phenomenal bridge to the end of Sea to Sky.

"Separate" follows those three tracks, and along with "One Horse Town", it vies for the title as the best song on the record. "You Might Be Right" and "I Put My Heart In Everything" feel like a two-in-one closing combo, as each are enjoyable and have moments where they feel like they could cap the album. Ultimately, "I Put My Heart In Everything" proves to be a nice closer and rightfully defines the band's hard-working style.

Sea to Sky isn't the kind of release that is going to get a lot of attention, but that's not because it doesn't deserve your time and ears. You can add Carpenter to the short list of worthy and relative rock and roll groups, and with Sea to Sky, it seems like they might be here to stay.

Recommended If You LikeSort of like a combination between those classic rock artists with the passion and ethos of punk groups...the middle ground between John Cougar Mellencamp, Springsteen, and Hot Water Music? Also farming. If you like farming, you'll love this band.
Follow Me On TwitterI pick Florida over LSU by three touchdowns this weekend.
Bare Essentials1. Mean Things
2. Common Law
3. Just Another Friday Nights
4. Long Hard Day
5. Northern Exposure
6. One Horse Town
7. Separated
8. Joan
9. You Might Be Right
10. I Put My Heart In Everything
Produced By: Stu McKillop, Run Time: 33 minutes
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars
Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19
12:42 AM on 10/07/10
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
nice review. you're still a Gator asshole though...I mean "Tiger Bait"...
12:51 AM on 10/07/10
Argentine
When I die, rap dies; Destiny Bond.
User Info.
All I needed to hear is Mellencamp, Springsteen, and HWM in the same sentence.
12:52 AM on 10/07/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
nice review. you're still a Gator asshole though...I mean "Tiger Bait"...
Your quarterback situation is laughable at best and your coach is clinically insane. Gators are mad and have something to prove to get back into top ten. Result will be like sugar-coated sugar for me.
12:56 AM on 10/07/10
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
Your quarterback situation is laughable at best and your coach is clinically insane. Gators are mad and have something to prove to get back into top ten. Result will be like sugar-coated sugar for me.
I like putting odds on the crazies...not the movie, that sucked...the actual mindset...
12:58 AM on 10/07/10
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
I like putting odds on the crazies...not the movie, that sucked...the actual mindset...
Haha maybe he'll go five-for-five on fourth downs again. God that game killed me.
05:20 AM on 10/07/10
littlethief
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i never heard of that.i am just one chinese.
if you get inerests in chinese.i can help you.
mailbox:littlethief@163.com
05:32 AM on 10/07/10
Gautz
Music makes life bearable!
User Info.
i never heard of that.i am just one stupid chinese.
if you get inerests in chinese.i can help you.
mailbox:littlethief@163.com

Shut the fuck up!
06:11 AM on 10/07/10
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Decent review, I'm glad someone took a crack at this. I really like the first sentence in the last paragraph because it's totally the truth.

Also, I hate to be that person, but Law of the Land came out in 2008. And it just came out in Paper + Plastick in the States, Canadians will be getting this record through Gold Stock, a label founded by their singer and Stu McKillop. For Canadian bands I feel very strongly that both labels should be mentioned at the top, I feel the same way when people don't mention both Vagrant AND Dine Alone for a band like Alexisonfire, as an example. Other than that, good job! This is one of 2010's better releases and it really is a step-up from their debut.
06:44 AM on 10/07/10
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
wtf, I don't have this. C'mon Chuck.
09:50 AM on 10/07/10
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Decent review, I'm glad someone took a crack at this. I really like the first sentence in the last paragraph because it's totally the truth.

Also, I hate to be that person, but Law of the Land came out in 2008. And it just came out in Paper + Plastick in the States, Canadians will be getting this record through Gold Stock, a label founded by their singer and Stu McKillop. For Canadian bands I feel very strongly that both labels should be mentioned at the top, I feel the same way when people don't mention both Vagrant AND Dine Alone for a band like Alexisonfire, as an example. Other than that, good job! This is one of 2010's better releases and it really is a step-up from their debut.
I will definitely edit that...thanks for pointing out that I missed that.
09:50 AM on 10/07/10
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
wtf, I don't have this. C'mon Chuck.
What does Chuck have to do with you not hearing a record? Haha
01:06 PM on 10/07/10
Eurotrash Drock
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
just checked em out last week. stoked to see them at The Fest.
03:09 PM on 10/07/10
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
just checked em out last week. stoked to see them at The Fest.
You live in Gainesville? I'm gonna be there too.
03:22 PM on 10/07/10
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
What does Chuck have to do with you not hearing a record? Haha
he's an awesome reviewer over at punknews

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles