AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Caverns - We Lied Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics N/A
Production 8.25
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 78%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Caverns - We Lied

Reviewed by: Kbm600 (10/08/10)
Caverns - We Lied
Record Label: Aural Slate Recordings
Release Date: February 19, 2010

Who?

Caverns, An instrumental trio of musicians from Washington D.C., have presented us with We Lied, a four song EP that spends as much time crafting haunting atmospheres consisting of electronic attributes and a prominent piano as it does tearing them down with brash, metal guitar riffs.

How is it?

It turns out to be a rather divisive listen as I ended up feeling a bit torn between respecting the abruptness of the crashing guitars in "Surprise!" and loving the moments of the delicately played piano in the opening track, "Arctic Phantoms." It is hard to separate the appreciation for them tearing across these landscapes of electronic sounds and just wanting to hear the beauty of it underneath. That is not to say that the time they spend with moments not including the loud and abrasive metallic riffs are perfect; the aforementioned "Surprise!" is rather repetitive with its gentle guitar and an almost lazily paced piano causes the sudden explosion of sound to be a welcome change. Not to insult the original three works of We Lied, but the Frodus cover "December 21, 2012" is easily the most focused song out of the four and is an excellent choice in that it does well at remaining consistent and blending in with the dark mood of the EP. If Caverns decide to capitalize on anything out of the three original tracks on We Lied, I can only hope they'll take a look at their ghostly arranged keys of "Arctic Phantoms" and continue their direction in a denser and darker sound.

Recommended If You LikeA slow 65daysofstatic; a sledgehammer to nice works of art; electronic marshmallows in your instrumental rock's cereal

Buy it herehttp://cavernsdc.bandcamp.com/

myspace.com/caverns

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
11:06 AM on 10/12/10
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
I haven't read the review yet but the RIYL makes me want Lucky Charms.

Okay, now I've read it. Sounds interesting, I want to check this out.
12:00 PM on 10/12/10
Kbm600
Here, It Never Snowed
User Info.
I haven't read the review yet but the RIYL makes me want Lucky Charms.

Okay, now I've read it. Sounds interesting, I want to check this out.
You should definitely check out both.

Lucky Charms and Caverns.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News