AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
All That Remains - For We Are Many Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 6.25
Production 8
Creativity 6.25
Lasting Value 5.75
Reviewer Tilt 6
Final Verdict: 67%
Member Ratings
Vocals 3.25
Musicianship 4.58
Lyrics 2.83
Production 4.17
Creativity 2.75
Lasting Value 3.08
Reviewer Tilt 3.08
Average: 34%
Inside AP.net

All That Remains - For We Are Many

Reviewed by: Ryan Gardner (10/09/10)
All That RemainsFor We Are Many
Record Label: Prosthetic Records / Razor & Tie
Release Date: October 12, 2010

After releasing three heavy hitting releases, All That Remains released the more radio-rock friendly Overcome in 2008. Many fans felt this record was too rock oriented and thus not heavy enough, especially following the powerful The Fall of Ideals. With their latest effort For We Are Many, All That Remains have combined their new-found rock orientated ideals (Overcome) with their heavier roots (Behind Silence & Solitude), enlisting diehard metal producer Adam Dutkiewicz (Killswitch Engage) to accomplish just this.

At times, this rock-metal combination works well (the dominating “From The Outside”). At other times, however, the effort falls short (the stale “Faithless” and “Some Of The People, All Of The Time”). The Jekyll-Hyde composure simply presents All That Remains as lacking a true identity; they can’t decide if they want to be As I Lay Dying or Papa Roach.

When the band lets loose with ripping guitars and gut wrenching screams, All That Remains are able to hold their ground in the heavy department – easily. Guitarists Mike Martin and Oli Herbert flex their muscles throughout the record, prevalent on the ripping title track “For We Are Many.” Vocalist Phil Labonte exemplifies his ability to scream his lungs out throughout “Won’t Go Quietly” and Jason Costa’s drumming highlight “Aggressive Opposition.” In this way, the first half of the record is solid, heavy, and geared in ATR’s earlier direction.

The second half of the record simply lacks the endeavor evident at the start of For We Are Many. “Dead Wrong” has potential until the clean singing simply doesn’t mix with Labonte’s low guttural screams. The aforementioned “Faithless” starts with a strong guitar solo creating hope that FWAM will pick up; however, the track is comprised mainly of clean vocals, coming across as comparable to one of Atreyu’s latest unremarkable tracks. The penultimate “Keepers of Fellow Man” drags on until closer “The Waiting One” begins softly, channeling something along the lines of Staind, which is not a good idea for ATR (or any band for that matter). The ultimate track just never picks up like the listener hopes it will, ending the record in a lackluster fashion.

While We Are The Many does have its strong points, All That Remains’ lack of individuality hinders the endeavor entirely. The band simply can’t decide if they want to continue to be a brutal metal band or a dull heavy rock act. As a result, All That Remains stands somewhere in between Papa Roach and As I Lay Dying, simply unaware of which side they want to be placed on. Thus, the record ends with a feeling of overall confusion for the listener; for every strong aspect of the record, there is an outweighing low point. We Are The Many does showcase various strong aspects of All That Remains, proving that the members still have some fight in them. Now, they just need to fight for their heavy side to prevail.

Recommended If You LikeAll That Remains’ Overcome; heavy radio rock; Atreyu’s latest records; As I Lay Dying meets Papa Roach and Staind

Listen ToFor We Are Many; Won’t Go Quietly; Aggressive Opposition

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Now Let Them Tremble
2. For We Are Many
3. The Last Time
4. Some Of The People, All Of The Time
5. Won’t Go Quietly
6. Aggressive Opposition
7. From The Outside
8. Dead Wrong
9. Faithless
10. Hold On
11. Keepers of Fellow Men
12. The Waiting One

Produced by: Adam Dutkiewicz (Killswitch Engage)

All That Remains are:
Phil Labonte – Vocals
Mike Martin – Guitar
Oli Herbert – Guitar
Jeanne Sagan – Bass
Jason Costa – Drums

Myspace - Website

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14.
01:43 PM on 10/12/10
DeathOrGlory
I'm not fucked, not quite
User Info.
This sucks. I was hoping they would've stuck to a more Fall of Ideals type of sound. I'm not a metal person but that album rocks plain and simple. Sucks to know they're still not quite there yet.
01:55 PM on 10/12/10
Ryan Gardner
@RyanGardnerC
User Info.
This sucks. I was hoping they would've stuck to a more Fall of Ideals type of sound. I'm not a metal person but that album rocks plain and simple. Sucks to know they're still not quite there yet.
Exactly. I received the record a few months ago, and I've been trying to really like it..but I just..don't.
09:32 PM on 10/12/10
xapplexpiex
&.&
User Info.
Quote:
Atreyu’s latest records; As I Lay Dying meets Papa Roach
Oh no.
I totally agree. I love how melodic FOI was, but still really heavy. I haven't liked what they made after that though.
04:00 AM on 10/13/10
NofxerPete
User Info.
IT'S REALLY Good. Overcome was really a let down. And I don't give a crap if it doesn't sound like the fall of ideals....as long as it doesn't sound like Overcome.
02:08 PM on 10/13/10
SourStuff
Five Body Blade Vocalist
User Info.
This was such a disappointment. Overcome was pretty good, I thought, and didn't overstep any boundaries for me. This however was over stepping. I'm sure it'll be a radio success for them but I'm not buying this. They've left behind their FOI days. Hopefully not for good.
07:21 AM on 10/14/10
vicrattlehead56
Live.Love.Die.
User Info.
Sell outs.
02:17 PM on 10/14/10
MALKiiN
User Info.
i expected better.
04:47 PM on 10/14/10
Baines on Toast
So where's my Lois Lane?
User Info.
I had no idea this band still made music. I listened to them in high school. Thanks for the flashback haha.
09:18 AM on 10/16/10
Corpsecore
User Info.
Listening to a minute or two of a few songs from this album, so as to get a taste but not to ruin it... I don't understand what's wrong yet. It's definitely not as aggressive, which is a bit of a disappointment. I like it though. I don't find what I've heard so far too toned down. Sit back and enjoy the music for what it is.
10:53 AM on 10/18/10
Handraa
Bestfriend means I pull the trigger
User Info.
I feel like the cover art belongs to a disturbed album..
03:51 PM on 10/18/10
CheckeredFloors
nah
User Info.
I had a feeling this album was gonna be pretty average. Still disappointing that it is though.
09:02 PM on 10/25/10
Corey Hoffy
I refuse to spend life on my knees
User Info.
I actually enjoy "Some Of The People, All Of The Time" more than most of the songs on here. *shrugs*
06:44 AM on 10/29/10
s12sim
pi >> cake
User Info.
im a big fan of this bands previous albums but if this release is anything like you said, im not looking forward to hearing it at all. it would really be a shame if a band with this much talent for real metal gave up on doing what they do so well
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests