AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Echo Screen - Euphoria Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 6
Lyrics 7.75
Production 8.25
Creativity 4.5
Lasting Value 5.75
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 69%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.19
Musicianship 8.97
Lyrics 9.41
Production 9.38
Creativity 9.19
Lasting Value 9.53
Reviewer Tilt 9.63
Average: 93%
Inside AP.net

Echo Screen - Euphoria

Reviewed by: Julia Conny (12/13/06)
Echo Screen - Euphoria
Record Label - Rock Out Records
Release Date - 11/21/06

Here is a question for you: An average album hosts about ten tracks, give or take. How many of those need be awesomely rad to warrant a purchase or, at least, a positive review?

The first song off Echo Screen’s Euphoria, “This Letter Bomb,” brags a premier pop-punk chorus but not much else. “The Science of Stopping Time” falls short of convincing with a Punchline mask and a rack of unnecessary stalling. “Gloria” uses neat rhyming schemes and a major bounce factor. Up to this point, I haven’t found much of anything I love besides the second track, “Everything After Bradford,” a jewel from The Matches fanclub. All I’m getting is a simplified and high octane Fall Out Boy and Punchline hybrid.

And then I tune in to the partially unplugged “October.” Singer and guitarist Shaune Scutellaro is belting bullets, and his tenacious chords shift my tide to 2003. When I was a Dashie (early Dashboard Confessional mega-fan), I fell woozy to young boys canoodling their acoustic guitars. Scutellaro embraces the same PacSun enthusiasm and offers up a food court romance, which, by process of elimination, is better than the other ten tracks. What unsettles my instinct, despite the 11th grade swoon, is that I am more sold by Echo Screen’s obligatory acoustic crooner than the quicker beats. This seems odd and a bit depressing.

After “October,” it doesn’t get much meatier. I’m impressed by the integration of the on and off electronics in “The 5 Cent Tour Of The Pearly Gates Part 2: Our Fears,” but the closing track, “Submitted For The Approval Of The Midnight Society,” clashes with its own background vocals. Euphoria missed the seminar on intricate, less power chording guitar work, and behind Scutellaro, the instrumentation is mostly flavorless. I’d like to say his naturally high (and a bit whiny) vocal work doesn’t get irritating but then I would be lying. Most tracks don’t sell me at the foyer, however, none miss the boat completely. They appoint lyrical storyboards over Hallmark regurgitations and overall, Euphoria’s got a good flow and structure. Each track has something, often minute, that deserves a re-glance.

It may not hit all the marks (as fresh litter rarely do), but Echo Screen seem like wholly genuine folk. You can tell too, and that’s why I half-expected more. “Everything After Bradford” and “October” are the exceptions to sub-par, but I have a failing argument for Euphoria with only two breadwinners. Pop punk or not, I want more than the rudimentary.

RIYLPunchline, Hit The Lights, The Track Record, New Found Glory, Bottom Line
AP Profilehttp://www.absolutepunk.net/echoscreen
Listenhttp://www.purevolume.com/echoscreen
Myspacehttp://www.myspace.com/echoscreen

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 36.
05:03 AM on 12/13/06
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
Good review. I pretty much concur with what you said. I think in a couple of years if pop-punk can make a strong resurgence, Echo Screen might find a broad audience. But until then, I feel like it needs a little more "oomph."
05:55 AM on 12/13/06
Russ Hockenbury
www.youtube.com/goodcomputerkids
User Info.
"Gloria" is the new crack.
06:48 AM on 12/13/06
Snails
see the benefits.
User Info.
Nice review Julia, I think I might check this out though.
07:03 AM on 12/13/06
PJ1336
Yeah.
User Info.
these guys are from my area. you're right about that thing where you call them "wholly genuine folk." right nice fellows.
07:30 AM on 12/13/06
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
Does this band remove silence?

/geek joke
07:43 AM on 12/13/06
balogna8
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I like this cd alot, I think too many people are hesitant to fall in love with it because its not doing anything groundbreaking. I think its a must hear for a lot of people.
08:10 AM on 12/13/06
brokenfocus
penis laser tag
User Info.
Does this band remove silence?

/geek joke

Hahah, well, someone had to make the Final Fantasty reference. :)

I think this album is fantastic, and not just because I did the photography in the layout, hahah. The production is amazing and is what you'd expect from Shep Goodman. The song Gloria and the redone version of Rushmore (from off their American Tale EP) are definitely my favorite tracks off the record. The hooks are catchy, the rhyme schemes are clever, and I love Shaune's vocals.

It's definitely my favorite pop rock record to come out this year. If they keep signing groups like this, I really think that Rockout has some serious potential to be a great indie label.
08:25 AM on 12/13/06
PassedOut
Ding!
User Info.
Another excellent review my love

I would probably buy this CD just for Everything After Bradford, its just that damn catchy

I think that they are definitely worth listening to
08:44 AM on 12/13/06
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
An American Tale was better but this is still a solid release.
09:12 AM on 12/13/06
nickyrayxnj
The Years Gone By / Nickolas Madore
User Info.
i like these dudes! good review also
10:16 AM on 12/13/06
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
Good review. I pretty much concur with what you said. I think in a couple of years if pop-punk can make a strong resurgence, Echo Screen might find a broad audience. But until then, I feel like it needs a little more "oomph."

I agree, a pop-punk resurgence is on the horizon. Part of the fun of being part of the music industry is predicting which direction it will take next.
10:18 AM on 12/13/06
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
these guys are from my area. you're right about that thing where you call them "wholly genuine folk." right nice fellows.

I met them before at Warped Tour (I think?) and I thought they were really nice guys. Nice people rock my world.
10:22 AM on 12/13/06
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
Nice review Julia, I think I might check this out though.

Go for it!

i like these dudes! good review also

Thanks.
10:58 AM on 12/13/06
WakingTheMisery
<3
User Info.
I'm glad they've gotten big. I remember seeing them in my friends basement 4 or 5 years ago.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests