AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Like the Stars - The Guidelines of Love and Lies Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7.25
Production 7.75
Creativity 5.25
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 7.75
Final Verdict: 74%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.63
Musicianship 8.38
Lyrics 7.75
Production 9.5
Creativity 6.75
Lasting Value 7.13
Reviewer Tilt 5.75
Average: 77%
Inside AP.net

Like the Stars - The Guidelines of Love and Lies

Reviewed by: aradiantsunrise (10/12/10)
Like the Stars - The Guidelines of Love and Lies
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: November 27th, 2010

Like the Stars are a five-piece band from Point Pleasant, New Jersey. They consist of vocalist AJ Hoenings, guitarist Nick Kaelblein, Nick Vandarmaas on bass, and last, but not least, Joey Trala on the skins. The pop rock genre is what the band plays, with bits and pieces of pop punk throughout the record. They're brand new full length The Guidelines of Love and Lies will be released soon, but as for now if you have this neat little review to check out!

The album is just a tad above average. The ten track full length, The Guidelines of Love and Lies is surely a nice treat that should be able to get the job done. It contains catchy choruses and infectious melodies. two things that I would say are required for an admirable pop rock album. ''Hey Kyle, Thanks for the Heads Up'' opens up the album. The song features a brief build up at the beginning before the band kicks it up a notch with dance-y guitar work and keyboard sounds. AJ Hoenings provides a huge chorus for the track, and delivers it in an incredibly catch way ''Sing whoa oh oh, what do you know about letting go?'' If that doesn't get stuck in your head, you might not be human after all.

Like the Stars catch The Dangerous Summer fever in the next two tracks, ''Sabotage is the New Black'' and ''Better Off Believing'' Both tracks have the pop oriented mid-tempo vibes going on while AJ Hoenings' vocals get a tad raspy. ''Better Off Believing'' sounds like it could be an instant hit for the band. It features infectious lyrics, simple, but sweet drumming and laid back guitar work. I can see the track being played on airwaves all over the world. ''Sabotage is the New Black'' is a little bit more upbeat. It is most definitely more suited for the summertime than fall, as I instantly pictured myself at the Van's Warped Tour jamming out to the track.

''Amber'' is a fun, upbeat track that the female fans of the band will enjoy and appreciate the most. The mid-tempo/power ballad-y piano- driven ''Hold Your Breath'' will grab the listener's attention right away, as it is one of the record's most standout and impressive tracks. ''Not Enough'' is more on the rock side of things than pop compared to most of the album's other songs. The near five minute album closer ''It's All Downhill from Nineteen'' is a pretty sounding piano ballad. The song serves as an open journal entry for the band as Hoenings sings about personal topics. It does what it was intended to do, closing out the album with a powerful and emotional song.

The Guidelines of Love and Lies is an impressive start for Like the Stars. Sure the band's music isn't breaking any new grounds by any means, but fans of pop rock will adore this piece of work. There are some cliché lyrics here and there and it feels repetitive sometimes with the lack of diversity the album has. Still, don't let that stop you from giving this album a chance! I can honestly see big things happening for this band once more people hear the album. Who knows? You just might end up seeing Like the Stars' name next to big pop rock bands like All Time Low, Boys Like Girls and The Maine before you know it.

Recommended If You LikeAll Time Low, Artist vs Poet, mid-tempo Dangerous Summer jams, InPassing

Tracklisting:1. Hey Kyle, Thanks for the Heads Up
2. Sabotage is the New Black
3. Better Off Believing
4. The Love and the Lie
5. Amber
6. Hold Your Breath
7. Downgrade
8. Not Enough
9. Radio
10. It's All Downhill from Nineteen

Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
07:43 AM on 10/17/10
cwhit412
User Info.
I have the actual artwork if you want it. I need to get my review done for this.
11:51 AM on 10/18/10
Miss Heartcore
If I look back, I am lost.
User Info.
Always have rooted for these guys. The album teaser sounds promising.
Like you said, it's nothing groundbreaking, but I think it's a good alternative to Mayday Parade.
01:42 AM on 10/19/10
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
I have the actual artwork if you want it. I need to get my review done for this.
Ah, yes please!

Always have rooted for these guys. The album teaser sounds promising.
Like you said, it's nothing groundbreaking, but I think it's a good alternative to Mayday Parade.

Yeah, it's definitely a fun album. I'll admit when I first listened to it it didn't do anything for me, but the next few listens it hit me.
11:17 PM on 10/27/10
vivatoto56
EB was left out
User Info.
Never heard of this, might have to check it out.
04:48 AM on 10/29/10
cwhit412
User Info.
Never heard of this, might have to check it out.
Not out for a while. It's solid though. Not too much lasting value, but it's decent pop-rock.
04:58 AM on 10/29/10
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
Perhaps I did make the lasting value a bit too high, but there are some songs I go back to more often than others.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums