Password

Album Review

Mike Midwestern - Inhibitors Album Cover

Mike Midwestern - Inhibitors

Reviewed by
Mike Midwestern - Inhibitors
Record Label: Self-released
Release Date: Sept. 28, 2010
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Who?
Mike Midwestern is a singer-songwriter from Minneapolis. Inhibitors is his first official album and is a self-described allegory of the death and rebirth of a family establishing new roots in a small Midwestern town.

How is it?
Inspiring. Midwestern deftly tackles the ins and outs of small town life with the grace and charm of a veteran troubadour. The rustic "Quiet Town So Loud," recants adolesence in the most poignant of ways, going so far as to recall a windows-down drive over back roads, spent smoking up and listening to Deja Entendu. On the moving cello-laden "Everything's a War," he documents asking a lady on a train about faith and humanity and ruminating over the devil's ransom.

On the rustling acoustic number "Wildfires," he employs gorgeous female vocals and a timely mandolin, while the plaintive piano ballad "Death of a Family," makes its case for being the album's zenith. a A plaintive and deeply affecting look at the passing of a loved one.

Midwestern isn't blessed with the most accessible of voices, but he seems to know how to use his timbre to good effect. There's no whiny pining, there's no guttural, headache-inducing screams, and more importantly there's no over-the-top
self-indulgency. This is just crisp, acoustic-based melodrama constructed with grace, charm and class.

Perhaps most importantly, Midwestern is doing something even more noble. Twenty percent of all proceeds from the album are being dedicated to Treehouse, a nonprofit based in the Twin Cities dedicated to offering hope, guidance and support to at-risk teens struggling with depression, susbtance abuse, truanc and self-injury.

Track Listing 1. Stranger
2. Quiet Town So Loud
3. Everything’s A War
4. Death of a Family
5. Forty Miles
6. Bleeding Heart
7. In The Shadows
8. Sail Away
9. Wildfires
10. Come Home

Recommended If You Like Damien Jurado, Rocky Votolato, The Jayhawks

Find Him Here Website

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
09:50 AM on 10/15/10
mybreakingpoint
User Info.
This is right up my alley. Gotta love the Brand New reference in "Quiet Town In So Loud" haha.

Another great review, Greg. You always sell me.
09:53 AM on 10/15/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
This is right up my alley. Gotta love the Brand New reference in "Quiet Town In So Loud" haha.

Another great review, Greg. You always sell me.
I appreciate the kind words, always nice to know at least someone is reading!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos