AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Fran Healy  - Wreckorder Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.25
Production 8.5
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 86%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.75
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Average: 87%

Fran Healy - Wreckorder

Reviewed by: Gregory Robson (10/16/10)
Fran Healy - Wreckorder
Record Label: Rkyodisc
Release Date: Oct. 5, 2010

At this point, there's little to be written about Fran Healy that hasn't already been put to pen. Widely hailed by British critics as one of the country's contemporary masters, he's also revered here in the States. The reason for said praise is his decade-plus career with the venerable Scottish quartet Travis, which charted numerous singles, of those "Sing," "Why Does It Always Rain On Me?," and "Driftwood" to name a few.

More important than his singles and the critics praise are the testimonies from other musicians, most notably Artists such as Coldplay, Noel Gallagher, The Doves and Gomez, who have all cited Healy as a major influence. His debut album Wreckorder offers much of the same but goes a bit deeper and farther, making for a most rewarding listen.

The disc opens with the titanic "In the Morning," a shimmering piece of guitar pop that rises like a phoenix and never lets up. Its successor "Anything," is a timeless, acoustic hymnal which draws its energy from Healy's falsetto and his innate ability to harness age-old sentiments on love and lost without sounding trite.

On the Neko Case duet "Sing Me To Sleep," the tandem coasts over amiable melodies and a syncopated drum loop making the pairing seem almost natural. Case probably deserves much of the credit for her contributions, but truth be told, any other duet partner probably could have stumbled, and yet with these two seasoned pros the exact opposite happens.

Of the disc's first half, "Sing Me To Sleep," is easily one that's worth repeated listens. That's not to take anything away from the pensive "Fly in the Ointment," which bounces and struts with effortless whimsy, but after the power of "Sing Me to Sleep," it just doesn't do nearly as much as its predecessor.

Sir Paul McCartney makes an appearance on the eccentric waltz "As It Comes," as alien as anything Healy has written to date, but also an endearing look at nostalgia and foresight. McCartney's bass is not nearly as pronounced as it should be, but the song certainly has charm.

Lead single "Buttercups," follows and doesn't deviate too far from the Travis script. Like an extension of "Anything," the song wades in mid-tempo, jangle pop and is buttressed by Healy's impressionable vocals. To put it succinctly, it's as close to perfect as anything on the disc.

From there, it's one consistent offering after another. "Shadow Boxing," "Holiday," and "Rocking Chair," are all strong, with the latter being the most memorable. The playful melody of the pathos-laden "Moonshine," closes out the album with aplomb and makes heady material sound rather winsome.

In the end, Wreckorder is the sound of a songwriter firmly embodying the spirit of Britpop and testing himself. "Sing Me To Sleep," and "As It Comes," also point towards signs of maturation that were never seen in the Travis back catalog. Those very two tracks point towards the likelihood of a follow-up album being just as strong. Can we really ask for anything more? Oh Scotland, you are so very lucky.

Track Listing 1. In The Morning
2. Anything
3. Sing Me To Sleep
4. Fly In the Ointment
5. As It Comes
6. Buttercups
7. Shadow Boxing
8. Holiday
9. Rocking Chair
10. Moonshine

Recommeneded If You Like Coldplay, Keane, Your Vegas, Snow Patrol

Find Him Here Website

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11.
02:17 PM on 10/17/10
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
I've enjoyed Travis in the past, so I'm definitely interested in this.
05:08 AM on 10/18/10
thesollopsist
Up all night, and down all day
User Info.
What the hell? I had no idea he had a solo coming out, I'm a huge Travis fan so I look forward to this.

And damn, he's lookin old on that album cover.
07:06 AM on 10/18/10
cereal4life
User Info.
I didn't know he was releasing a solo album. I think I'll really it, though. Travis's The Man Who is a stellar record and I enjoy a lot of Britpop. A great review, Greg. Thanks!
09:07 AM on 10/18/10
Memphis
Eight miles high and falling fast
User Info.
I love Travis and everything they've released till this day, so I'm looking forward to hearing this.
10:44 AM on 10/18/10
collideoscopic
User Info.
I love Travis, and I found this album to be greatly disappointing, actually. I may have to give it a few more spins to reach a final verdict, but I was not stoked on this the first time through.
11:02 AM on 10/18/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
I love Travis, and I found this album to be greatly disappointing, actually. I may have to give it a few more spins to reach a final verdict, but I was not stoked on this the first time through.
Neither was I. I only liked four or five songs. Give it more spins. It will work its magic.
06:39 PM on 10/18/10
adamKS
User Info.
this is a pretty good album. i love his band travis.

"the man who" and "the invisible band" albums is some of the most inspiring/beautiful music ever put to tape
01:32 AM on 10/19/10
Paulb-182
opentofire.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Travis are so awesome. Will have a listen to this.
01:01 PM on 08/15/11
sh14b
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Quote:
Oh Wales, you are so very lucky.

...have I missed something here? Scotland.
08:08 PM on 08/17/11
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
...have I missed something here? Scotland.
You are totally correct. That was supposed to be Scotland. Great correction. Thank you for noticing it.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS