AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Video Games News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Games Round-Up (10/16/10)

Posted by - 10:35 PM on 10/16/10
This week's Games Round-Up can be read in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 40
10:35 PM on 10/16/10
Linda Ferreira
The Retired Maillady
User Info.
Thanks to Jim for putting this together.

Games Round-Up Another week, another roundup. Strap in! Oh, also, if you care about MMOs my site Four Player Co-Op is giving a way 30 days of gold membership to EverQuest II Extended. You can enter here. Alright, on to the news!

SONY

First up is the most embarrassing news of the week. Gran Turismo 5 has been delayed, AGAIN. The game was originally announced at E3 2006 and was dated at this years E3 for November 2nd. Whelp, it's not coming on November 2nd, it's coming this "holiday". Hopefully they mean Christmas and not St. Patrick's day.

David O. Russell director of Three Kings and I Heart Huckabees is going to write and direct an Uncharted movie. It will supposedly be based on the first game "Drake's Fortune". We've heard about game movies getting greenlit and dying all the time, but this seems pretty legit. Avi Arad who helped make comic book movies good, is set to produce, let's not hold our breath, but things are looking up.

Split/Second the pretty awesome action-racing hybrid is coming to the PSP. It's going to be a port of the iOS version, with an extra track included as well as some enhancements for the PSP.

Sick of sticking a disc in your PS3, every time you want to watch Netflix instant streaming? Well on Monday the official Netflix app will finally be unveiled. Not only will it allow you watch instant streaming in 720p, 1080i, or 1080p, but it will also make the Playstation 3 the first Netflix streaming device to allow 5.1 Dolby Surround sound.

NINTENDO

Nintendo didn't make any real announcements this week, but since some of you got your panties in a bunch over it last week, I guess I can tell you that the Times Square Nintendo store is undergoing remodeling, so..............do what you will with that info.

MICROSOFT

On November 30th Halo: Reach gets the Noble Map Pack DLC. It will include 3 new maps and add 250 achievement points to the game. It will cost you 800 Microsoft points which if you don't know by now is $10.

iOS

EA showed off some games it has coming out for Apple's mobile devices through the rest of this year, and early next year. A bunch of Hasbro games were shown including Pictureka, as well as Risk and Monopoly for the iPad. The Monopoly game features "cheating" mechanics, no I'm not sure what that means either. The EA Sports Active app is coming to the iPhone which should sync up nicely with the console versions of EA Sports Active. The interesting thing here is that the app will get patched in gyroscope support meaning you could possibly actually exercise with it. Think, the Nike+ app. Probably the biggest game announced was Dead Space 2, were not entirely sure if it's coming to both the iPad and iPhone/iPod Touch, but it will bridge the gap between the first and second games and you will use your finger to swipe apart the enemies.

EVERYTHING ELSE

Konami will release it's classic 6-player X-Men arcade game on Playstation Network and Xbox Live Arcade. The game will support widescreen televisions and 6 player online co-op. The Playstation Network version will support 6 players on one television. Now all you need is a lot of smoke, and a dude dealing drugs in front of your house and it will be JUST like the old arcades.

The composer for the recently released Castlevania: Lords of Shadow went on Spanish radio and basically confirmed that they were working on a sequel. Not too shabby for a game with middling reviews. Maybe it's sold well, already? Oh well, it's not like they were ever going to stop making Castlevania games.

Dead Space 2 is getting a collector's edition. If you decide to shell out the extra cash you will get a replica plasma cutter, a unitology suit and force gun, the soundtrack and a lithograph of concept art. No word on how much it's going to cost, but GameStop is GUESSING $79.99. If you ask me, that seems a little low, but who knows? Also, if you pre-order ANY version of the game you will get a code to download the prequel game Dead Space: Ignition. Finishing that game to completion unlocks exclusive armor and weapons in Dead Space 2.

Speaking of EA, they have announced a signature edition of Dragon Age 2. The signature edition includes exclusive weapons, an exclusive character with accompanying missions, and a downloadable version of the game’s soundtrack. This edition of the game is free. So what's the catch, you have until January 11th to pre-order the game. All pre-orders made by then, will be upgraded.

Disney Interactive has canned Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned and laid off about 100 employees at Propaganda Studios who were working on the game, which was said to be a Fable clone, except, you know on the seas I guess.

Haden Blackman who until recently worked at LucasArts, has opened his own studio. It's called Fearless Studios and the first game they are working on is a survival horror game.

Valve has announced that they will release Dota 2 sometime next year for PC and Mac. Dota stands for Defense of the Ancients which was a popular Warcraft III mod that had each player protecting a God and trying to destroy your opponents. No one is 100% sure of the legality of selling a game based on a mod, which explains the Dota name. The original creators of the mod have gone on to create a version of it entitled League of Legends which is free to play. Dota 2 will feature Valve's high level of polish including 100+ Gods to choose from, each fully voice acted. The game will also be friendly to newcomers and those who aren't normally good at RTS'.

PSAs

Conduit 2 will be released in February of next year.

Red Dead Redemption's Undead Nightmare DLC will be released on 10/26. You have your choice of downloading it as DLC or buying it on a disc for $29.99. If you go the disc route you will get the full multiplayer experience with the DLC included and it will be playable without needing to own Red Dead Redemption, ala, Grand Theft Auto: IV Episodes from Liberty City.

RELEASES

Kirby's Epic Yarn (Wii)
Power Gig: Rise of the Six String (Xbox 360, PS3)
Uncharted 2: GOTY (PS3)
The Shoot (PS3)
Rock of the Dead (Xbox 360, PS3)
Saw II (Xbox 360, PS 3)
DJ Hero 2 (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii)
Vanquish (Xbox 360, PS3)
EA Sports: MMA (Xbox 360, PS3)
Fallout New Vegas (Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
Time Crisis Razing Storm (PS3)

LINKS

Looking for links to video game news?

Four Player Co-Op
Joystiq
Kotaku
1UP
Destructoid
MTV Multiplayer
CVG

----------------------------------
Contributor: be mine

Well, that's going to do it. Make sure you follow my site on Twitter, make sure you follow me on Twitter, and check out my podcast, I think it's a really good episode this week. Let me know what you think.
10:40 PM on 10/16/10
bandnamexmyname
&^%^&
User Info.
My brother will be extra pissed about Gran Turismo news.
10:43 PM on 10/16/10
DooDooBird
User Info.
None of this gaming news is interesting.

Please let me know when Nintendo decides to make another Pilotwings.
10:53 PM on 10/16/10
meroki22
MYOPINIONISRIGHTERTHANYOU RSRAAWWR!
User Info.
Regarding the Uncharted movie Nathon Fillion has started a campaign for him to play Nathan Drake. Not some fans, he wants the role. I think he'd be absloutely perfect. Very few people could pull off the humor and the action as well as him.
10:56 PM on 10/16/10
DooDooBird
User Info.
Regarding the Uncharted movie Nathon Fillion has started a campaign for him to play Nathan Drake. Not some fans, he wants the role. I think he'd be absloutely perfect. Very few people could pull off the humor and the action as well as him.
Larry the Cable Guy would be a great choice as well.
10:59 PM on 10/16/10
tfieldz
All The World Is Mad
User Info.

Such a legit game, mainly the SNES one though
11:02 PM on 10/16/10
Truman122
Gandhi On Ice
User Info.
So excited for Dota 2. Valve will do it justice.
11:05 PM on 10/16/10
lemontie
Games Round-up Creator
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilotwings_Resort
11:15 PM on 10/16/10
bNz719
Know more.
User Info.
Slow news week for games, it seems.
Stoked for New Vegas!
11:37 PM on 10/16/10
randys950
@randys950
User Info.
Castlevania got prettyb decent reviews upper 8s and lower 9s, I've seen games with far worse reviews get sequals. And maybe dracula will be in it! And what maps are comming out with the mappack? A version of ivory tower that doesn't melt your retinas? Headlong? Please be headlong!!!
12:11 AM on 10/17/10
DItaliaO
User Info.
Quote:
The composer for the recently released Castlevania: Lords of Shadow went on Spanish radio and basically confirmed that they were working on a sequel. Not too shabby for a game with middling reviews. Maybe it's sold well, already? Oh well, it's not like they were ever going to stop making Castlevania games.

Middling??? according to Metacritic the PS3 scored a 86, while the 360 version scored a 83.
01:58 AM on 10/17/10
DeviateRogue
Valar Morghulis
User Info.
Slow news week for games, it seems.
Stoked for New Vegas!
me 2 brutha, you getting the CE?
02:29 AM on 10/17/10
bNz719
Know more.
User Info.
me 2 brutha, you getting the CE?
Nahh, Amazon for some reason doesn't have it at all. I would get it somewhere else, but I have $20 credit and free release date shipping, so I figured I'd stick with regular edition even though CE comes with a lot of good stuff.
02:56 AM on 10/17/10
DeviateRogue
Valar Morghulis
User Info.
Nahh, Amazon for some reason doesn't have it at all. I would get it somewhere else, but I have $20 credit and free release date shipping, so I figured I'd stick with regular edition even though CE comes with a lot of good stuff.
I was going to pick up the CE, but it didn't come with the $10 off future game purchase credit and pre-order bonus.

Btw, have they shipped New Vegas yet? I have release date shipping for NV and did a 2 day shipping on the CE guide, yet my guide shipped Friday, and New Vegas hasn't shipped yet.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos