AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Gun Show, The - Currents Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8.75
Production 8.25
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
Vocals 10
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 10
Production 9
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 99%

Gun Show, The - Currents

Reviewed by: AaRoNpUnK (10/17/10)
The Gun Show - Currents
Record label: Static Age
Release date: March 9, 2010

Who?

The Gun Show are a five piece, Christian metal/whatever "core" you prefer to use, band out of Mansfield, Ohio. They have broken onto the scene with their debut EP, Currents. Andwhile they're not by any means the most original band out there, there's still plenty to be enjoyed here. Something about these boys' music is inspiring, pulverizing, and cathartic all at once.

How is it?

If you read my SFTP review, you'd know that, as a metal fan, I'm very picky. It's getting harder to impress me since there's a lot of scenecore, chug-chug garbage going on out there (see SFTP review for a brief list of said garbage). However, when I listen to this band, it almost feels like they play like don't care if people perceive them as "deep" or "intellectual." They do whatever they want to do regardless of "rhyme or reason." Part of the reason for that is because they love to stick the most basic, stripped down singing parts amidst some of the heaviest and most bruising hardcore heard this year so far and stick breakdowns in the oddest places. This shows they obviously don't like to over do things. Therefore, parts of this record come off sounding almost like off-the-cuff performances which gives them a sense of originality the rest of their genre is severely lacking. In songs like the self titled and standout track, "The Adegan System," TGS let their passionate lyrics and knack for "less is more" attitude be the guide. In this way, they achieve so much better than most bands out there who try to take themselves too seriously. These guys clearly let their belief in God shine through with vocalist, Tom Hirst pouring his heart and soul out with some very brutal vocals and blunt lyrics of salvation and self control. The fact that they are a simple band does not mean the guitarists, Cory Biddle and Cory Messer, do not have some impressive stuff to offer us here. They showcase their talent with dizzying sweeps and leads riff and are the reason every breakdown the band gives is so nasty. Are these guys breaking new ground? No. But with something this emotionally gripping and heavy, who cares? TGS are poised to be a forced to be reckoned within the ever stagnating scene of stale, generic "core" music. And with a full length debut on the horizon, this band has nowhere to go from here but up.

Recommended if you like: For Today's Portraits, MyChildren MyBride's Unbreakable, and A Plea for Purging's Depravity

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
06:53 AM on 10/26/10
zrac99
:
User Info.
I played with these guys last year. I wasn't impressed with the music in a live setting, I'll check this out and see if it fairs any better recorded.
10:02 AM on 10/26/10
nickrelapse
Nick Hamm
User Info.
-_-
05:21 AM on 10/27/10
kevinAIWW
boner boner boner boner boner boner
User Info.
Ehhhhh.. They're okay. I've played with them before when The Blood Reckoning was still around. They're fun guys.
09:19 AM on 10/27/10
richardliesse
absolutely
User Info.
If they played completely different songs, I think I'd like them
09:20 AM on 10/27/10
AaRoNpUnK
fuck the thrill of the chase.
User Info.
my bands playing with them in my tiny hometown soon with the Advocate. im sooo stoked :)
03:06 AM on 11/08/10
dtomczak
always hungry.
User Info.
wow, just started listening to these guys. for today was spot-on for the riyl. love it.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests