AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury Album Cover

Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Gene and Terrence Thornton have been through more bullshit than most people. Growing up in the rough streets of Virginia Beach, the brothers pushed drugs to make a living and starting rapping to survive. Together, they formed the rap duo Clipse, where they take on the alias of Malice and Pusha-T. In 2002, they released their commercial debut, Lord Willin, on Arista Records, producing two unconventional radio smash hits and catapulting them into the hip hop limelight. The album was produced by then little-known production team The Neptunes. Immediately the following year, the duo began work on their follow-up album with The Neptunes, titled Hell Hath No Fury. Unfortunately, work on the album stopped when Arista was merged into sister label Jive Records, which then took more interest in their pop acts rather than working with Clipse to properly release Fury. Becoming increasingly pissed off at the label, Clipse sued Jive when they wouldn’t release them from their contract. To tide fans over, the Thornton’s released the critically acclaimed We Got It 4 Cheap mixtape series. Finally, the duo and Jive came to terms in May, only to delay Fury two more times. But, after a long four year wait, Hell Hath No Fury was released to the general public on November 28, 2006. After all the drama, sweat, tears, and passion poured into the release of this record, only one more obstacle was left remaining: how was the record going to be received after all the delays and prolonged waiting? Is it even worth our time? The answer is an emphatic yes, as Clipse have released the best hip hop album of 2006.

Clipse worked on the album once again with The Neptunes (Pharrell Williams and Chad Hugo), but their typical style of production is not found on a Clipse record. Hell Hath No Fury is an album that is beautifully deep, dark, and intense. The album begins with the thumping “We Got It For Cheap,” a track that serves as a reintroduction to Malice and Pusha T and how they do. The first single, “Mr. Me Too,” features a beat that is reminiscent of the childhood electronic game, “Simon Says,” and even though Pharrell tries his damnedest to ruin the song with his horrid rapping, Pusha T and Malice save the track with biting lyrics such as “The streets was yours, ya dunce cappin and cazooin/I was just assuming you'd keep the coke movin/But I got one question, fuck y'all been doing?” The second single, “Wamp Wamp (What It Do),” features a sharp beat with a mesmerizing hook. Slim Thug contributes on the chorus, with his gruff voice serving as the perfect contrast to the duo’s verses. “Ride Around Shining” is a boom-bam track in which Pusha refers to himself as “the black Martha Stewart,” while “Dirty Money” is an animated track featuring a beat that jabs at your ears. “Keys Open Doors” is a haunting, sinister track that reiterates how far ahead Clipse are in front the rest of the rap game. “Ain’t Cha” is the closest you’ll get to a club-banger on the entire album; it’ll be reverberating in your membrane for weeks. “Trill” is a bombastic monster of track, and the menacing “Chinese New Year” is a personal favorite, with Pusha and Malice both spitting acidic rhymes. The album closes with the stripped and soulful tune, “Nightmares,” which features Bilal on the hook. Malice and Pusha T both expose their paranoia and humanity here, hoping that their “karma ain’t come back to haunt” them. It closes the album with the sense that these brother’s know that it can all be taken away in a moment, and that they’ll never settle.

Perhaps the four year delay was a blessing in disguise for the Brother’s Thornton. While ultimately frustrating for artist and fan alike, Malice and Pusha T had enough time to make sure each line, each bar, and each beat was perfect and, in the end, able to construct a hip-hop album that is built to last. This isn’t one of your flash-in-the-pan, cliché hip hop albums that are churned out every year; Hell Hath No Fury is an album that pushes you, inspires you, and shows to you that there is always a better way. Clipse write some of the best lyrics you’ll hear, regardless of genre. Fury improves on the foundation Lord Willin’ laid down: it contains the perfect balance of humility and cockiness and displays a fine variety musically. In the end, Hell Hath No Fury was worth the wait, and Malice and Pusha T have ascended their selves as some of the top players in the game today, and according to Pusha, he is only at “60%.” A once dim future is now brighter than ever for these two brothers from Virginia Beach. Let’s just hope it doesn’t take another four years for their next masterpiece.
Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. We Got It For Cheap (Intro)
2. Momma, I’m So Sorry
3. Mr. Me Too (featuring Pharrell Williams)
4. Wamp Wamp (What It Do) (featuring Slim Thug)
5. Ride Around Shining (featuring AB-Liva of the Re-Up Gang)
6. Dirty Money
7. Hello New World
8. Keys Open Doors
9. Ain’t Cha (featuring Re-Up Gang)
10. Trill
11. Chinese New Year (featuring Roscoe P. Coldchain)
12. Nightmares (featuring Bilal and Pharrell Williams)
Produced by: The Neptunes

Clipse are:
Gene “Malice” and Terrence “Pusha T” Thornton

Release Date: November 28, 2006
Record Label: Jive /Zomba / Re-Up Gang Records
Official Website; Official Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 58
01:11 AM on 12/19/06
BarrelIsPointed
Talking In Code
User Info.
I don't read reviews, but from the rating you gave it, I say you did damn well. Listening to it right now, fucking brilliant.
03:51 AM on 12/19/06
Nathan Lint
That's the real joke
User Info.
nice interview, drew b
09:29 AM on 12/19/06
bradyreier
http://twitter.com/bradyreier
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
great review drew. this album rules.
10:37 AM on 12/19/06
mewithcoldplay
everyday i'm hustlin'
User Info.
Was waiting for this review...well done Drew.

This album is amazing...my favourite of the year.
10:43 AM on 12/19/06
*crying stars*
... are you crazy?
User Info.
I really need to get this album...sweet review.
11:30 AM on 12/19/06
tharealck
User Info.
hip-hop album of the year? over lupe fiasco's or the new nas? I'd take Jedi Mind Tricks, The Streets (apples and oranges, perhaps) or even The Game over this album.

But, everyone's entitled to their opinion. Nice review, though--I just don't see eye to eye on this one. I'm missing what so many reviews of this album are talking about when they call it a "deep" record--"Wamp, Wamp" is a "deep" song? Catchy, sure--but come on...
11:50 AM on 12/19/06
Manbotisdead
speaking hot fire
User Info.
hip-hop album of the year? over lupe fiasco's or the new nas? I'd take Jedi Mind Tricks, The Streets (apples and oranges, perhaps) or even The Game over this album.

But, everyone's entitled to their opinion. Nice review, though--I just don't see eye to eye on this one. I'm missing what so many reviews of this album are talking about when they call it a "deep" record--"Wamp, Wamp" is a "deep" song? Catchy, sure--but come on...

For my money its only competition is Fishscale.

Both albums are phenomenal though.
11:56 AM on 12/19/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Wamp, wamp...what it do...
12:06 PM on 12/19/06
Gilsteryo!
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Album is a fucking classic.
12:17 PM on 12/19/06
jdgtrplyr
that'll do
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This album really is a classic, Clipse are the dudes right now!
12:42 PM on 12/19/06
SaturnineMantra
User Info.
seems to me reparations are overdue.

edit: i fucking love this album. if you haven't heard We Got it For Cheap Vol II, find it asap.
01:48 PM on 12/19/06
phaedrus
Registered Member
User Info.
No offense to your review writing, but 96% for an album about pushing drugs is absolutely batshit insane. Its a good cd if you're a suburban rich white kid into that kind of thing, but 96%? Come one
02:02 PM on 12/19/06
phaedrus
Registered Member
User Info.
Yea, or if you're a writer for XXL, the magazine awarding this album one of only six XXL ratings ever.

The others are Lauryn Hill, Hova, 50, Common, and Kanye.
I don't really respect xxl too much, but at least lauryn hill, common, and kanye had something worthwhile to say. Its fine if you like music about pushing drugs, but do you really think this belongs in the same class as common, kanye, lauryn hill, or even jay-z?
02:35 PM on 12/19/06
gonz
///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\
User Info.

just mentioning Lupe with this album proves you are an idiot

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version