AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Max Bemis and the Painful Splits - Max Bemis and... Album Cover

Max Bemis and the Painful Splits - Max Bemis and...

Reviewed by
Max Bemis and the Painful Splits - Max Bemis and the Painful Splits
Release Date: Current Say Anything/Motion City Soundtrack tour
Record Label: None
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Max Bemis is without a doubt one of the more recognizable and appreciated figures in our music scene. Known for his, erm, unique personality, Bemis has captivated many with his ever-so-honest lyricism and seemingly unlimited ability to produce quality music. After three full length records with Say Anything, Bemis has put forth his first solo effort under the name Max Bemis and the Painful Splits. Actually, the record isn't his first official solo effort, according to Bemis; it is a collection of songs which he is proud of and just wants people to hear.

The ten mostly acoustic tracks amount to under a half hour, but the self titled record is a welcome dose of all things Bemis that many have grown to adore. Opener "Chlorine Bath" starts things off perfectly, as we get a solid set of scathing lyrics and a mix of smooth and rough vocals. The song's chorus is great to sing along to, as Bemis belts out, "I wanna wake up in the evening / Shred my lips, bathe in chlorine / Bless your heart, you sad thing / I don't wanna be with you." The track is one of the highlights on the record.

"Do the Dohnk", featuring Sherri Dupree-Bemis on background vocals, is another standout. The track is carried by a catchy acoustic hook and in the bridge we hear a cool electric back-and-forth guitar part. Immediately following is "Former Punisher Gone Rogue", perhaps the strongest track on this output. The chorus is another standout this time around, as Bemis sings "Come on, come on / Why don't you love me / Like how you loved me when we were young?" Again easy to sing along to, the listener can only wonder how great these songs would sound if they were flushed out into full Say Anything tracks.

Some of the songs on the Painful Splits release sound just right in their stripped down state, though. The hook in "Ms. Martin" is infectious without any production and the intensity of "Little Star" doesn't need to be huge to be felt. The vocal effect that Bemis uses on those two tracks and on "Assimilate All Bastards" is interesting to hear, although it seems to be the sort of thing that you have to be in the mood to listen to. Closer "Our Sentence Is Up" is a calming, piano-led number. The song serves as a good ending, making the album perfect for nighttime listening.

The fact that this album is just a collection of songs that Bemis threw together for the pleasure of listeners speaks volumes towards his talent. Some of these tracks are true gems, even when stacked against the full weight of Bemis' discography. It's a release that Bemis was able to put out with little pressure, making it available only on Say Anything's current tour. For a release with such little hype and buildup, Max Bemis and the Painful Splits is certainly worthy of attention.

Recommended If You LikeMax Bemis, Say Anything, I mean really....
Follow Me On TwitterAnd then tweet a link to this review because my life will be a little more complete if Max tweets at me about it.
Bare Essentials1. Chlorine Bath
2. Assimilate All Bastards
3. Do the Dohnk
4. Former Punisher Gone Rogue
5. Ms. Martin
6. Piss On the Precedent
7. Little Star
8. Waster
9. Neodouche
10. Our Sentence Is Up
Run Time: 28 minutes, 34 seconds
Star Rating: 3.5 out of 5 Stars
Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 105
01:08 AM on 10/26/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
If this is the wrong album artwork and someone knows the correct album artwork, please push me toward it.
01:53 AM on 10/26/10
Argentine
When I die, rap dies; Destiny Bond.
User Info.
I'm extremely off and on with this man's music. But I'll give this a chance.
02:03 AM on 10/26/10
BozzBlonde
twitter.com/adeadgod
User Info.
Want. I wish I could go pick this up but I can't make their show.
02:12 AM on 10/26/10
EchoPark
promesas son sombras
User Info.
not a chance
02:14 AM on 10/26/10
snu
I like to watch the NBA
User Info.
The problem with this album is Weatherbox sounds kind of like Say Anything (vocal wise) and this sounds a lot like the lo-fi stuff on Cosmic Drama. So it's like Weatherbox who is influenced by Bemis has now flipped the script.

Not a bad album just kind of weird.
02:43 AM on 10/26/10
IndieKid!
The Registered User
User Info.
WRONG: Say anything has 4 albums, not 3 :]

Baseball, real boy, defense & self titled :]

This album didn't grab me, giving it another listen later.
04:45 AM on 10/26/10
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Been digging Say Anything a lot lately, so I guess it's time I check this out. Great review.
05:01 AM on 10/26/10
applesandcyanid
Trollin' Absolutepunk.
User Info.
Stoked to hear this :) Max's lyricism is legendary.
06:24 AM on 10/26/10
surgerone
User Info.
If this is the wrong album artwork and someone knows the correct album artwork, please push me toward it.
i just bought this at their show last friday, and it is the correct artwork.
i haven't even had a chance to listen to this yet - glad to hear it's worth it.
06:27 AM on 10/26/10
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Can't wait to check this out.
06:36 AM on 10/26/10
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
About to listen to this one on my way to work!
06:42 AM on 10/26/10
nineinchsin
Don't take it seriously
User Info.
I have yet to listen to the whole CD but it reminds me alot of his demos from when he was in college.
06:44 AM on 10/26/10
tossit
Gather round children zip it listen
User Info.
It's a good album for what it is. It's a decent release
06:50 AM on 10/26/10
Eva Friedman
I'm the girl who makes it out alive
User Info.
i just bought this at their show last friday, and it is the correct artwork.
i haven't even had a chance to listen to this yet - glad to hear it's worth it.

How much are they selling it for?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version