Password

Album Review
Lacerda - Epic Pop Album Cover

Lacerda - Epic Pop

Reviewed by
Lacerda - Epic Pop
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: June 1, 2010

One thing that has been obnoxiously obvious in today's music scene is the fact that no matter what genre one turns to, redundancy is evident. Repetitiveness is one thing that is constantly growing more and more unavoidable, and with the vast amount of up and coming unsigned acts out there, this is expected. Canadian power-pop quintet Lacerda, is one band that shows a little initiative, and breaks away from said redundant tactics. Yes, they are still not breaking any new ground, which is an incredibly difficult task to complete, but they do provide a fresh, delightful blend of poppy choruses and pop-punk riffs.

I'll be honest, going into listening to Lacerda's sophomore EP titled Epic Pop, I really was expecting some sugary sweet cookie cutter pop rock band that make the teeny-boppers of the country salivate, and from the first few seconds of the opening title track, I was worried that my expectations were hopelessly correct. Luckily, I stay tuned for 5 seconds longer as the opening riff kicks in, revealing an edginess that remains unheard of in the poppy rocky, summer-lovin'-having-a-blast sound that seems to be repeated over and over. No. These guys are the epitome of the less-used, ballsier term, power-pop.

As the 7 song EP goes on, Lacerda keeps the upbeat, dancy tempo, revealing multiple infectious choruses. The catchiest of which is found in "Hit the Reset", as lead vocalist Milenko and back-up vocalist/guitarist James Watkins partake in a back and forth vocal war, belting "Jump start my heart and hit the reset/I'm beating at my chest and it's not working out/If I start breathing again, these days and nights we'll defend". If those words don't get cemented into your head for days, I don't know what will. The next two songs after "Hit The Reset" could be marked off as slower and forgettable, but Lacerda picks it right back up with the upbeat, fun "Don't Flatter Yourself" and the more pop-punk oriented closer "Oh My Dear".

Lacerda has had the benefit of having friendly ties with Go Radio vocalist/guitarist Jason Lancaster, as the ex-Mayday Parade singer's pre-production mark can be openly heard on Epic Pop. Add producer John Naclerio (Brand New, Senses Fail, My Chemical Romance) to the melting pot of talent and the world has itself a quality release from an up and coming group of talented Canucks.

This review is a user submitted review from DylanPPPP. You can see all of DylanPPPP's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
05:32 PM on 10/31/10
ZoSo1886
www.twitter.com/jamesbenedictnj
User Info.
mannn i was supposed to review this album for my friends at Beast Attire a long time ago.
06:46 PM on 10/31/10
DylanPPPP
Don't ya like clowns?!
User Info.
mannn i was supposed to review this album for my friends at Beast Attire a long time ago.
Procrastination? Or just wasn't interested? As you can see I thought it was rather good.
12:16 AM on 11/02/10
symbiote28
Be Human
User Info.
it'll definitely give this a listen looking at the bands on RIYL
07:59 AM on 11/03/10
DylanPPPP
Don't ya like clowns?!
User Info.
it'll definitely give this a listen looking at the bands on RIYL
Throughout the whole time I was listening to this I kept thinking to myself "Man! This sounds very Go Radio-esque." I look at the liner notes in the cover, pre-produced by Jason Lancaster. I felt pretty accomplished haha. Think ALIR era Mayday Parade, but Jason is the lead singer and Derek as the back-up vocalist.

Definitely check out "Hit The Reset" first. Such a good jam.
08:16 AM on 11/03/10
symbiote28
Be Human
User Info.
Throughout the whole time I was listening to this I kept thinking to myself "Man! This sounds very Go Radio-esque." I look at the liner notes in the cover, pre-produced by Jason Lancaster. I felt pretty accomplished haha. Think ALIR era Mayday Parade, but Jason is the lead singer and Derek as the back-up vocalist.

Definitely check out "Hit The Reset" first. Such a good jam.
after reading this, i think i'm gonna love it. definitely love ALIR more compared to ABH.
12:13 PM on 11/03/10
DylanPPPP
Don't ya like clowns?!
User Info.
after reading this, i think i'm gonna love it. definitely love ALIR more compared to ABH.

Well it's definitely not as good as ALIR but it's still quite the good little listen haha.
12:06 PM on 11/06/10
mishmish
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Thanks for the review dude. We're happy with it.

And the critiques always help. We know where to improve for the next release :)

and to all you folks interested in checking it out you can pick it up on itunes

www.itunes.com/lacerda

I'm sure you can steal it somewhere as well. but supporting us is always good :)
12:10 PM on 11/06/10
DylanPPPP
Don't ya like clowns?!
User Info.
Thanks for the review dude. We're happy with it.

And the critiques always help. We know where to improve for the next release :)

and to all you folks interested in checking it out you can pick it up on itunes

www.itunes.com/lacerda

I'm sure you can steal it somewhere as well. but supporting us is always good :)

No problem man. Really enjoyed this release and can't wait for what you have in store next. I'll be sure to check you guys out if you ever play around my area.
03:11 PM on 11/07/10
heymeghanfurman
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Such a good album. A big improvement from the first. :) Simply Amazing, just like the members of the band. :)
09:07 AM on 11/08/10
EightOEightDrop
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
lacerda are my fucking dudes. they're awesome musicians and, from what I saw, were one of the hardest working bands on this summer's warped tour. terrific album, miss the shit out of those guys.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos