Album Review
Aria Novos - Diamond Light Album Cover

Aria Novos - Diamond Light

Reviewed by
Aria Novos - Diamond Light
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: July 27th, 2010
Who?

Aria Novos are a four-piece band from Tampa, Florida. They are an indie rock/pop band featuring dual vocalists, one male and one female. The band consists of co-lead vocalist and guitarist Gerard Sison, co-lead vocalist and keyboardist Audrey Sinead, guitarist Andy Maroney, and Alex Schumacher behind the drums. Aria Novos released a six song EP over the summer titled Diamond Light, which so happens to be a themed/concept album (whichever you prefer). The album's theme is revolves around a sudden loss of a loved one and coming to grips with life, while also searching for who they truly are as a person, a new love and a new beginning.

How is it?

Diamond Light is a pleasant surprise. it has a rather dark tone throughout the record with some beautiful emerging from the darkness here and there. Opening track ''Via Qualia'' starts off slow as Sison sings calmly in the first verse and meets up with Sinead in the slightly picked up chorus. The stellar vocals of Audrey Sinead take over the next verse and right off the bat you can tell the two co-lead vocalists have great chemistry. ''Through the Discord'' is seemingly about dealing with the lossed loved one and losing yourself in the process from the devastating loss. The song has a resemblance to Arkansas piano-based indie rock band Deas Vail, with it's haunting chorus as the duo sing ''I lost you through the discord with no self to come home to.'' It is one of Diamond Light's most impressive tracks, providing the listener with eerieness and beauty.

Gerard Sison's shows off more than just calm vocal work in ''What Became of Us,'' a song that begins with symbol crashes leading into an upbeat tone as the two vocalists trade off singing duties. Sinead displays soothing ''oohs''in the song and it is also the EP's most lively song.

By far the most impressive track on Diamond Light, though, has to be ''Telematics.'' The song is just a few seconds over six minutes long, but does not drag on at all. Sinead's strongest work is also featured on this track as she takes the lead on the track. ''Welcome Stranger'' is the climax of Diamond Light. It's a slow strumming acoustic song with nice keys work by Sinead. Sison and Sinead go back and forth in the final song, Sison's calm and somber vocals blend in perfectly with Sinead's soothing, angelic vocals. The dreamy song doesn't disappoint and makes a strong closer for the EP.

All in all, Aria Novos's Diamond Light is an exceptional story about life, love, and loss. The lyrics are somber for the most part, but the band's talent radiates like a diamond help up to the sun. You can't help but wonder, though...was a new love found? Did they find themselves? Did they get that new fresh start they were searching for? I''m not positive if they did find any of those yet, perhaps the story has a sequel? If you're curious to know, hop onto iTunes, buy the EP and find out for yourselves! You won't be disappointed.

Recommended If You LikeRadiohead perhaps? Deas Vail, dreaming, somber music, concept/themed albums, dual vocalists

Tracklisting:1. Via Qualia
2. In Truth
3. Through the Discord
4. What Became of Us
5. Telematics
6. Welcome Stranger

http://www.myspace.com/arianovos
This review is a user submitted review from aradiantsunrise. You can see all of aradiantsunrise's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
01:06 PM on 10/31/10
relientkid777
User Info.
Eric Maroney*
06:22 PM on 10/31/10
vivatoto56
Your wick won't burn away
User Info.
I'm interested but I can't find it anywhere.
08:29 PM on 10/31/10
alackkthereof
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
You can find it on Itunes, Cdbaby.com/AriaNovos, and arianovos.bigcartel.com. It's not sold in stores yet.
05:24 PM on 11/06/10
Cue the Sun
I'm not sad anymore
User Info.
Wilmer Murillo, the guy who designed the album art, is one of my favorite artists ever.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos