AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Almost, The - Monster Monster EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 81%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Almost, The - Monster Monster EP

Reviewed by: Ryan Gardner (10/30/10)
The AlmostMonster Monster EP
Record Label: Tooth & Nail
Release Date: October 25, 2010

It’s been just under a year since The Almost’s release of their sophomore effort, Monster Monster; however, in that seemingly short time period, vocalist Aaron Gillespie has gone through a myriad of changes. At the top of these changes is his leaving of Underoath to pursue ministry work and his upcoming Christian solo record as well as maintaining his position in The Almost. In the time being, the release of the EP sequel to Monster Monster will surely tide fans over.

Simply put, this EP is short and sweet – nothing less, nothing more. Continuing exactly where MM left off, the aggressive “Birmingham” begins the EP with chanting before Gillespie delivers arguably his best vocal performance. As expected, the track is reflective, as Gillespie’s candid nature prevails throughout his lyricism. After this opening addictive number, “July” is a loud rock song, courtesy of guitarists Jay Vilardi and Dusty Redmon over Joe Musten’s pounding drumming. Again, the musical highlight “July” is as reflective as it gets, with Gillespie explaining “I’m caught up in this / it’s getting uglier by the minute.”

Although Gillepsie had performed “Wrong” a while back acoustically, this version is revamped with full band support. A true love song, “Wrong” will inevitably incite singing along on this soaring highlight, as Gillespie again proves his power as a vocalist. Conversely, the following “Out West” breathes the air of a country song with the opening guitar as a song of genuine buoyancy and optimism.

The final “Me And Alone” was released as a bonus track on the iTunes edition of the original Monster Monster; however, it now makes a fitting appearance as the end of this EP. One of the best songs that The Almost have written, “Me And Alone” features superb vocals backed delightfully by guitars and drumming, proving the musicianship of band yet again. Ending the EP on a perfect note just as “Monster” ended the original, “Me And Alone” is in essence the best elements of The Almost incorporated into one track. In the end, Monster Monster EP simply proves that Aaron Gillespie can do no wrong, as it’s another solid – albeit short – release from The Almost.

Recommended If You LikeThe Almost’s Monster Monster; Aaron Gillespie; Tooth & Nail Records

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Birmingham
2. July
3. Wrong
4. Out West
5. Me And Alone
(These 5 songs are also included on the Deluxe Edition of Monster Monster)

Music Videos:
- Hands
- Lonely Wheel
- Monster Monster
- No I Don’t

The Almost are:
Aaron Gillespie – Vocals
Jay Vilardi – Guitar
Dusty Redmon – Guitar
Alex Aponte – Bass
Joe Musten – Drums

Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
12:23 PM on 10/31/10
OurLadyCoolbean
False. Black bears.
User Info.
I never really got into Monster Monster too much, but I'd like to check this out
01:00 PM on 10/31/10
henry chinaski
User Info.
same here. 'july' is awesome though.
02:19 PM on 10/31/10
Juan Jose
User Info.
Birmingham and july were already on the original monster ep. Kind of disapointed with the lack of new material on this ep
04:20 AM on 11/01/10
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
Will probably check this out, Monster Monster was awesome
08:06 AM on 11/01/10
richardliesse
absolutely
User Info.
Lol, Aaron was fat at Cornerstone this year.
05:06 PM on 11/02/10
drevans18
BLERG
User Info.
So basically, it's 2 new songs? Kinda disappointing... but I'll listen to them.
07:10 PM on 11/11/10
JZebrak57
I am not a registered user
User Info.
Wrong and Out West were on Best Buy's deluxe copy of Monster Monster (except Out West was just called West), so nothing on this album is "new". Basically, this is a collection of the B-sides of Monster Monster.

That being said, I love every single one of these songs. Looking forward to their next album, whenever that may be.
07:06 AM on 11/12/10
Mosherpunk
MosherPunk
User Info.
they've done better
01:04 PM on 11/12/10
Zombie Slayer
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I loved Monster Monster. I really think Aaron's Christian rock stuff is so good. He's my idol for sure and this EP was fantastic if you like any of the older stuff.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums