Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Absolute Industry: Man Overboard Interview

Posted by: Adam Pfleider (11/03/10)
Continuing this week's string of interviews, Thomas recently spoke with Man Overboard about the leak and success of their album Real Talk which was released earlier this year. Head here to read the short interview. I'd like to get some discussion going today too. Do you think bands need to begin releasing their albums digitally right away? Is marketing obsolete once the public knows a record is ready to be released? Are special packages for pre-orders a great way to keep physical mediums alive amongst not only fans, but listeners as a whole? Hit the replies and let's talk. Real talk.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18
10:52 AM on 11/03/10
combatchuckaa
blammo!
User Info.
I'm not into Man Overboard but yes, special preorder packages are great for keeping the physical medium alive, especially if the preorder is for the vinyl version.
11:02 AM on 11/03/10
i_was_a_lid
And This is How
User Info.
I'd be all for releasing digital copies as soon as its ready, especially for records in the "scene", because its not like they are getting radio time or ad time in magazines and tv. But I'm not in the music biz so I really don't know if that is viable or feasible.

As a fan, I really appreciate when a band sets up some pre-order packages with interesting shirts or other stuff. It really encourages me to buy their record because I feel I'm getting something special that I couldn't get by just downloading the mp3s. Also, the anticipation of getting the record with accompanying items in the mail is something I still enjoy.
11:07 AM on 11/03/10
drevans18
BLERG
User Info.
Love Man O. Real Talk was on my iPod for a few months, and still is. Preorder packages do help keep physical medium around. But I think marketing for a release date is one thing if it's one or two weeks - and maybe it's just me, but I forget when a lot of releases are coming out unless it's a band I'm SERIOUSLY amped on, but I know I'd like to check out.

Then again, for bigger artists like Kanye, it gives them time to put out a single, have radio play, music video, etc. It also helps artists tour with new music and grab new fans without putting out their album right away. I dunno. But for smaller bands still living out of their vans and what not, they probably won't get radio play.

/rant.
11:43 AM on 11/03/10
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
Love Man O. Real Talk was on my iPod for a few months, and still is. Preorder packages do help keep physical medium around. But I think marketing for a release date is one thing if it's one or two weeks - and maybe it's just me, but I forget when a lot of releases are coming out unless it's a band I'm SERIOUSLY amped on, but I know I'd like to check out.

Then again, for bigger artists like Kanye, it gives them time to put out a single, have radio play, music video, etc. It also helps artists tour with new music and grab new fans without putting out their album right away. I dunno. But for smaller bands still living out of their vans and what not, they probably won't get radio play.

/rant.
I def see your point...but I ask you this "It would seem that major labels are leaking the same as smaller bands, so should there be radio play if people are getting albums early no matter what the popularity of a band is? Then again, aren't leaks based on the consumer. Does your mom or dad snag leaks as much as your younger brother?...so you I def see your point on that."
11:52 AM on 11/03/10
drevans18
BLERG
User Info.
I def see your point...but I ask you this "It would seem that major labels are leaking the same as smaller bands, so should there be radio play if people are getting albums early no matter what the popularity of a band is? Then again, aren't leaks based on the consumer. Does your mom or dad snag leaks as much as your younger brother?...so you I def see your point on that."
Yeah, I understand that too. That's why I don't really have a strong answer on whether the whole 'anticipatory period' between the announcement of a CD release to the actual release date is necessary and/or helpful. Then again, I think the release of a single is much more crucial for Kanye West than Man Overboard, because for Kanye, his career can be contingent on the release of his single to the airwaves, whereas I don't even know what Man O's single was off of Real Talk (that's not true, but I'm making a point).

To answer your question, it's tough. I think Kanye West can still benefit from the release of a single because there are plenty of people out there who either a) don't download leaks, b) don't know how, or c)don't even hear about their existence from the start. But a band like Man Overboard doesn't benefit as much due simply to the fact that Man O doesn't have the fan base and the casual listeners who will pick up a single or an album just to say they have it. I know this is a huge generalization, but I would probably say that Man O's fans are more akin to downloading leaks than the casual Kanye West listener (or at least the ones on this website). I'd also ask you this: Do leaks come out before or after a single is released? If after, I think the benefit for Kanye West would be greater than Man Overboard for single-release.
12:18 PM on 11/03/10
bobthebaker81
User Info.
if you like Man Overboard, you'll like us as well. We also recorded with the same engineer. Get our EP for free here (digitally!)
Hands On The Stereo
www.handsonthestereo.bandcamp.com

Anyways, having a digital release now a days is getting a lot more personal than doing it physically. Everyone is online and this new site, bandcamp, is doing just that. From every person that downloads an EP for from us (purchased or not) we get an email, which gives us the opportunity to have a personal relationship with that listener, without even meeting them. The Internet is going to be the biggest market for everything, not just music. Any corporation, company, etc, will be using the Internet to market everything, and that's what bands are doing now since more and more people are using the internet. It's sad, but it's true. Playing shows, tours, and so forth are also a HUGE plus to helping a band reach new members, but the internet is now doing more than that since the music scene is slowly dying everywhere and if you're not "big" or have a good solid fan base, people won't come out to the local shows as they used to. At least that's true in New Jersey.

And as far as marketing when you're album is released, NO! It is not obsolete. You must always market your new album. Some people will discover you at different times. The people might find you while surfing the internet on some sites now that they haven't been using a year or two ago. For example, before facebook, there were other ways to market your album. But thanks to facebook and the millions of users using it, whatever band advertises using facebook will have those people who use it find them now.
12:25 PM on 11/03/10
Nick Le
Yeezy taught me.
User Info.
I pre-ordered Real Talk the day before they announced that it had leaked and had placed it up on bandcamp for sale. Had I not pre-ordered it already, I would have bought it right when they announced that it leaked and that they were putting it up for sale early. With that Such Gold leak, I ended up buying it on bandcamp after I heard that it leaked. At the time, no physical pre-order packages were up yet, so I ended up not getting them. I still might get around to doing that eventually though.

Special pre-order packages are always a really good incentive for fans and other listeners -- whether they might be into vinyl, screen printed posters, or just t-shirts. I'm more likely to pre-order an album if it is bundled with other things like a poster, signed CD, or a cool t shirt. If it's just a pre-order for the CD itself, I might as well just wait for the album to released. Monday night, I pre-ordered the new Hellogoodbye and The Chariot records. I was planning on buying both releases once they hit the stores, but the Hellogoodbye came with a nice shirt, the CD was signed among other things. Josh Scogin posted a twitpic of the signed Chariot posters that are included with pre-orders and after seeing that, I decided to pre-order it rather than head out to a store on the 23rd. If I have a chance of getting something cool or exclusive with a pre-order, while paying a bit extra, I'm all for it.
12:29 PM on 11/03/10
Nick Le
Yeezy taught me.
User Info.
And as far as marketing when you're album is released, NO! It is not obsolete. You must always market your new album. Some people will discover you at different times. The people might find you while surfing the internet on some sites now that they haven't been using a year or two ago. For example, before facebook, there were other ways to market your album. But thanks to facebook and the millions of users using it, whatever band advertises using facebook will have those people who use it find them now.

I definitely agree with this. I don't think that marketing an album post-release is obsolete at all. There are plenty of people who don't exactly keep up with when albums are released (these people likely do not frequent this website) and might not even know that a band they enjoy released new music. I was talking to some people this past weekend and they had no idea that Relient K released an album last year, but they said that they were fans of the band. But with marketing post-release all over the internet, there's a higher chance for people to find out about the music, check it out and listen.
12:34 PM on 11/03/10
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
I'm of the camp that waiting to release an album for months after it's finished is obsolete.
12:39 PM on 11/03/10
dangerofthought
An Uneducated Opinion
User Info.
I'm a big fan of what artists like Derek Webb do when it comes to new releases. Derek will always do stuff exclusively through his website and you can choose different packages according to what you want. If you buy the physical, you still get a immediate digital download too.

I think that bands that get zero radio air time have to do stuff like this, because there are kids out there that don't check websites like AP.net 3x a day to see what new stuff is happening in the music world. These little bands have such a hard time getting their music out there because kids want it easy and fast and now.
12:43 PM on 11/03/10
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
Yeah, I understand that too. That's why I don't really have a strong answer on whether the whole 'anticipatory period' between the announcement of a CD release to the actual release date is necessary and/or helpful. Then again, I think the release of a single is much more crucial for Kanye West than Man Overboard, because for Kanye, his career can be contingent on the release of his single to the airwaves, whereas I don't even know what Man O's single was off of Real Talk (that's not true, but I'm making a point).

To answer your question, it's tough. I think Kanye West can still benefit from the release of a single because there are plenty of people out there who either a) don't download leaks, b) don't know how, or c)don't even hear about their existence from the start. But a band like Man Overboard doesn't benefit as much due simply to the fact that Man O doesn't have the fan base and the casual listeners who will pick up a single or an album just to say they have it. I know this is a huge generalization, but I would probably say that Man O's fans are more akin to downloading leaks than the casual Kanye West listener (or at least the ones on this website). I'd also ask you this: Do leaks come out before or after a single is released? If after, I think the benefit for Kanye West would be greater than Man Overboard for single-release.
hmmm...good point...I think you're right. I don't think your generalization is wrong (hell, have all I understood from my D in econ is that EVERYTHING was overly hypothetical...hahaha)

When we talk about a single, I think that could be anything these days. The first song "heard" off a record isn't necessarily the single - like it used to be. Especially with Kanye dropping every song each week, is the single now obsolete? As far as a single, isn't it the song the record company (read: majors not necessarily smaller ones where bands have a greater say) wants someone to hear to buy an album that will statistically be 50% filler?

I wonder. If leaks become to rabid, will singles then become obsolete? I'd also like to see an in depth research project on the correlation between leaks and future purchases. If there are a number of future purchases, where do those lie? Do they lie in pre-orders or digital? If digital, is it mostly in "sales" like Amazon's or iTunes?
01:24 PM on 11/03/10
senSedative12
NJ Sexuality
User Info.
love these guys
02:27 PM on 11/03/10
phillycheese37
I'll be back around
User Info.
Who in the band was answering the questions in the interview?
04:39 PM on 11/03/10
iseejosh
Registered Member
User Info.
i feel like to keep cds relevant they have to start offering something w it. i know i bought the recent i can make a mess release bc of the shirt and stuff that came w it. and if im at a store and see a cd/shirt combo like anberlin and bmth, i buy it. or in the case of senses fail offer a live dvd w it. i do love supporting my favorite bands but times are tough, and purchasing cds come second to paying electric, but when offered something extra it becomes more personal.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests