Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Absolute Industry: Envy Interview

Posted by: Adam Pfleider (11/04/10)
Today's interview comes from Envy, with whom I recently spoke on their final show in the States after their first tour here in four years. Tetsuya Fukagawa talks a bit about how local acts start up in Japan. For our users in other countries, how are your music scenes? How do they run, especially the D.I.Y. ones? Do you think if we weren't as flooded with music and almost spoiled with numerous tours here in the United States, do you think there would be a greater appreciation for music and live shows? How would you feel to be able to only see your favorite band play every four years since they were not from your country? Hit the replies and get the discussion going.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
04:09 PM on 11/04/10
Dog_Sized_Bird
User Info.
This is so awesome, I've never seen an interview with anyone from Envy before. I've been lucky enough to see Mono, Boris, and Envy all in the last year. Japan has some minblowingly good artists, wish I got to see them more often.
04:16 PM on 11/04/10
StephenYoung
dumb
User Info.
Canada is in the middle. A lot of bands seem to think that Quebec doesn't exist. When small bands tour, they never play small towns, and if we're lucky, they'll play a crowded venue in Montreal. The thing about basement shows isn't only in Japan; where I live, you can play basements, but if you're going to play a show where people who aren't your close friends are going to play, then you have to go out, rent the VFC or the Youth Centre, sell tickets, promote on facebook, myspace, whatever, do flyers, and on the day of the show, you have to be ready to coordinate everything. It's super hard to start a band up here. Maybe it's the lack of musicians, but no one is into seeing underground shows, and a 20-30 person show is actually a decent turnout.
07:21 PM on 11/04/10
the new dancer
User Info.
that was an interesting interview. i find it interesting that they don`t have basement shows in japan i would have guessed that was something that they would rather enjoy and partake on often. i guess i was wrong but then again basement shows can be risky if the wrong people are in charge. all our"rock houses" got hit up by cops for illegal activities. it must suck to only have your favorite bands come around maybe once every couple years. i freak out when i dont see my favs like every six months or so. i think i`m going to start being way more thankful for all the tiny shows i get to.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests