Password

Album Review

Minutes Too Far - Let It Roll Album Cover

Minutes Too Far - Let It Roll

Reviewed by
Minutes Too Far - Let It Roll
Record Label: Medic Records
Release Date: June 7th, 2005

Despite the fact that I will deny listening to any variety of unabashedly poppy music to any of my friends, the fact of the matter is I have a weak spot for catchy songs of any nature. These songs can be pop punk, power pop, or any other subgenre that is known for catchy choruses and memorable hooks and chances are, I will like it. Oklahoma’s Minutes Too Far has the makings to be one of the bands that could fit snuggly on many summer playlists with their brand of infectious pop-rock, and have even shared the stage with big name acts such as Yellowcard, Motion City Soundtrack, and Fall Out Boy. “Something You Really Oughta Know”, the leadoff track to Let It Roll, gets the EP started off on the right foot blending competently crafted hooks and melodies that are sure to be left buzzing in your head for days with enough rock riffs and less upbeat choruses to prevent it from being branded with the pop-punk tag. “Uh-Huh” however, has all the makings of a great pop-rock hit with handclaps, smooth vocals, infectious choruses that are sure to make this a song fans of pop-rock will have stuck on “repeat” for days to come.

“…Probably Not” is a throwaway track that clocks in at just under a half a minute and is mostly just weird vocal effects and ambient noise that isn’t even necessary as a transition to the straightforward rocker “Gimme’ A Reason”. Minutes Too Far close out their Medic Records debut with the slow moving yet memorable “So Far Away” which still has the infectious pop elements exhibited earlier on the EP. The ending of the track is capped off with well-utilized vocal layering, although they should have made the lead vocals more prominent then the backups.

Although this review seems like a praisefest for these Oklahoma rockers, do not be misled. This album does have its flaws, from sticking to the formulaic pop-rock formula to the lead vocals that are often times overpowered by the instrumentation, but ultimately this band shows the promise to become the new favorite of those who worship at the altars of pop-rock bands. This promise is obviously self-evident judging by the band rapidly rising up the ladder of the music scene. From self-releasing their debut EP and quickly making the jump from Medic Records to Doghouse, it seems Minutes Too Far have been enjoying the past few years of their career. Sure, this album is not exactly “reinventing the wheel” or worthy of overwhelming hype, but it shows promise and is just as good as any pop-rock album to blast with the windows down on a warm, sunny day.
This review is a user submitted review from Rich Duncan. You can see all of Rich Duncan's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
11:59 AM on 01/08/07
mybreakingpoint
User Info.
amazing band. great ep. i have all their previous stuff as well hehe. they get better with every release. i still need to pick up their Doghouse LP heh..

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos