Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Absolute Industry: Portugal. The Man

Posted by: Adam Pfleider (11/05/10)
To end our week of band interviews, Matt sat down with John Gourley of Portugal. The Man to discuss the band's success coming out of having every album leak early and speaking out about it during each release. This brings up the interesting question of whether it's okay to download in the spectrum of being a fan, if you've constantly supported said band before and later. Are leaks and illegal downloading as hurtful as we make them out to be? Is there a difference between sharing mixtapes back in the day and flat out libraries online now? Hit the replies and let's discuss.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 32
09:17 AM on 11/05/10
harveyn590
User Info.
you know it is weird that when I buy an album i do it to support the artist. You know just a few years ago you bought music to listen to it.

Being thats the main motivation now, i see why alot of people dont buy albums. People really still do think that album sales dont effect the band. They only see "pennies" from each release. I think if artists explained it really is important and why, more people would buy
09:37 AM on 11/05/10
slimfenix182
Registered Member
User Info.
he sums up how I feel about downloading. I hate the excuse "well, look how many artists I listen to cause I download", but how many of those bands do people fervently love and support? good interview. great band.
09:38 AM on 11/05/10
kboe@bex.net
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
"If anyone is in a good position to encourage a change in consumer mindset, it’s Portugal. The Man. Before the show Saturday night, an elderly mother, standing in line with her husband and two kids, commented on the band with reverence: “No music has touched me as powerfully since 1969.”

That just sent shivers through my body I fucking love to see that one of my favorite bands is relevant to a variety of different people.
09:43 AM on 11/05/10
A7XXX
Temple Pressure
User Info.
Leaks bring about hype but sometimes it's hurtful to the bands. It's ok to download the songs / album if you are doing it to decide whether to pre-order or not. I feel like if people download the leaks and they don't like it they should keep their opinion to themselves. Also come out to shows and buy band merch if you still want your favorite band staying around
10:02 AM on 11/05/10
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
I'm glad to see I'm on the same page with him. I listen to alot of bands, but I buy alot of music from the ones that I care about and love the most
10:04 AM on 11/05/10
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
Love this band. I might be two copies of their next album. And I need more vinyl.
10:05 AM on 11/05/10
andrewjman
User Info.
Leaks bring about hype but sometimes it's hurtful to the bands. It's ok to download the songs / album if you are doing it to decide whether to pre-order or not. I feel like if people download the leaks and they don't like it they should keep their opinion to themselves. Also come out to shows and buy band merch if you still want your favorite band staying around
I agree. I think that so many people are so flustered with whether or not they should feel ok to download illegally. If there wasn't such a fuss about it I'd tell everyone to. How do you know if you are going to like a CD just because you like the one song they released? I bought "Go Slow Down" by The BoDeans when I was younger because I loved their song "Closer to Free" It was the biggest mistake (music wise) of my life. We should be able to say, alright hey I like this CD. Now I'm going to buy it. or Hey I like this cd, now I'm supporting them any way I can! I download every portugal the man cd, but then I usually go back and buy it or I go see them at a show. I buy their stuff, I spread the word! I'd be so happy if I was a band and people did that. Granted people can keep spreading the word and never pay, that isn't cool. Make sure you support them financially as well. But in my books illegal downloading is a-ok!
10:41 AM on 11/05/10
portugaltheman
User Info.
There is a reason it is "illegal" downloading.

Fun interview. We walked around a bit and I spaced out here and there but very cool guy. Thanks again.

We love you guys. We live music.
10:52 AM on 11/05/10
whatbox!!!
User Info.
I buy all my Albums as hard copy CD's (would buy vinyl but can't afford a turntable)
theres just something really exciting about the process of unwrapping a CD ant then putting it in an listening it in order
also i think it be nice if bands maybe put up one song or something up free as a promo or more labels put out big free samplers
that way i can load those songs on my Mp3 player and listen to it on the bus working out ect.
Facedown Records did this with a song by For Today which got a buttload of plays from me and it made me go out and buy the album
11:35 AM on 11/05/10
MoChroi
User Info.
If it weren't for downloading I wouldn't be in love with Portugal. The Man. FACT

...and i get the huge $75 packages whenever an album comes out now.
12:20 PM on 11/05/10
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
There is a reason it is "illegal" downloading.

Fun interview. We walked around a bit and I spaced out here and there but very cool guy. Thanks again.

We love you guys. We live music.
It was great chatting with you John! You guys put on the best live show I've seen to date.
12:32 PM on 11/05/10
yves.
annyong
User Info.
I buy all my Albums as hard copy CD's (would buy vinyl but can't afford a turntable)
theres just something really exciting about the process of unwrapping a CD ant then putting it in an listening it in order
also i think it be nice if bands maybe put up one song or something up free as a promo or more labels put out big free samplers
that way i can load those songs on my Mp3 player and listen to it on the bus working out ect.
Facedown Records did this with a song by For Today which got a buttload of plays from me and it made me go out and buy the album

god yes, this is my absolute favourite part about buying cds, as well as reading through the liner notes while the music is playing.
12:52 PM on 11/05/10
slimfenix182
Registered Member
User Info.
god yes, this is my absolute favourite part about buying cds, as well as reading through the liner notes while the music is playing.

what both of you said lol.
12:54 PM on 11/05/10
YESImJoelMadden
User Info.
My view on downloading music, not that anyone asked, is different than most bands. Yes, it is stealing music, but look at it this way. Our album leaked almost a month ago. It definitely killed any shot of us competing with the bigger pop/country acts on the charts. I think its safe to assume that 75 percent of the people who have our record didn't buy it. That being said, I would rather people have my record and be able to give it a listen than not. No matter how you get the music once you become a fan, you support a band and that matter. You don't owe bands anything. And if you do get into a band, you go to their show, you buy a ticket, maybe a t-shirt thats way more important for us touring bands than a record sale. Yeah the record sales are nice, and it looks good to be high on the charts, but these days we can't expect that, or depend on that. It's nice to not have to, thats why for me it's important as many people have the record as possible. Downloading hurts the big companies, which in turn hurts the bands, but the working bands will be ok, we all just have to work harder, and accept less. Seems to me things have evened out. Fans get more for less. And the self entitled bands who don't want to work hard, don't make the cut. Pretty simple math.
We love when people buy the record and hope they still will if they download it and like it. But what else could you ask from you fans, if they like you enough to steal your record, i just think that says it all. Plus for bands i think it's exciting to think that all over the world people can get your music immediately, and become engaged with your band. Anyways just my thoughts, and this is on the week we release a record that has been online for a long time. Just gotta accept the reality and make the best of it. If it weren't for people listening, no matter how they get the music, none of us bands would have jobs. Period.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests