Username
Password
Video Games News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Video Games
Inside AP.net

Games Round-Up (11/07/10)

Posted by: Linda Ferreira (11/07/10)
This week's Games Round-Up can be read in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 46
12:03 PM on 11/07/10
Linda Ferreira
The Retired Maillady
User Info.
Games Round-Up Thanks to Jim for putting this together:

Phew....that was a close one. Some old Monks preformed a ritual and now....I'm good as new. As a trade off I bought them all DS' and taught them how to play Mario Kart. I think that's an even trade.

Hello, I'm Jim Plachy, I co-founded a video game blog called Four Player Co-Op. I'd like to talk to you about the many life insurance plans we offer, and video games.

BIG VIDEO GAME NEWS!

The biggest news this week was that the Supreme Court heard oral arguments in the case of California's video game law. The law would punish retailers who sold video games that California decided were "ultra-violent" with fines potentially reaching tens of millions of dollars the video game industry fears that they would be forced to censor their games before even starting work on them. The entire one hour hearing is available as a PDF file and it's fascinating, a must read for anyone who considers themselves a fan of video games.

SONY

Word on the street is that Gran Turismo 5 is either finally at press, or wont be out until after January of 2011. You decide!

NINTENDO

Official Nintendo magazine says that the 3DS will be out in March. That's seriously all I got on Nintendo again this week. Did anyone go buy a red Wii? I will knife fight you for it.

MICROSOFT

Crackdown 2 is getting more DLC
. This time it's the Deluge DLC pack. The Deluge mode will allow you to fight wave after wave of enemies(READ: Horde mode)by yourself or with others on Xbox Live. The DLC will also include Capture the Orb mode. Which is either a mode where you chase after orbs or you play a version of Capture the Flag with orbs replacing the flags. You can download the DLC for free when it comes out later this month and play the Capture the Orb mode and "sample" the deluge mode, or you can plunk down 560 MS points and unlock the full deluge mode.

Microsoft has decided to throw in some goodies with the purchase of a 250GB Xbox 360 this holiday by including a copy of Forza 3 and a download code for Alan Wake. The bundle costs the same $299 it did without the games.

EVERYTHING ELSE

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood will have exclusive DLC missions in the box on Playstation 3. I'm sure eventually you could buy them for Xbox 360, so I wouldn't get too sad.

Bejeweled 3 will be out in December. It features a ton of new modes. It will only be available for PC/Mac at first, but it will eventually be on everything by the end of 2011. You can buy it for your mom just in time for Christmas for $19.99.

Slant Six who previously worked on the SOCOM games are supposedly working on a new multiplayer Resident Evil game called Raccoon City. Basically, this sounds like Left 4 Dead set in Resident Evil's universe. Which, I guess might be fun, if not a little ripey offey.

Half-Life 3: Episode 3, is still not out yet. Nothing has been announced.

Battlefield is going free to play, some of you may have played Battlefield Heroes a cartooney take on Battlefield that plays in your web browser. Well this new version is more modern, using maps and weapons from Battlefield 2. There will be bonuses for people who play both games, and anyone who plays a game of Battlefield Heroes between now and 2011 will get a beta invite to this new free Battlefield game. While you're reading that story check out the new trailer for Battlefield: Bad Company 2: Vietnam.

Epic Games announced that their first Unreal powered game for the iOS is Infinity Blade. You can watch the trailer here. Warning: it looks bad ass.

PSAs

Okamiden will be out March 15th

Mindjack will be out January 18th

The Fender Squire Strat for Rock Band 3 will be out March 1st and cost you $280.

RELEASES

Babysitting Mama (Wii)
Flingsmash/Wii Remote Plus (Wii)
Knights in the Nightmare (PSP)
MySims Collection (Wii)
The Sly Collection (PS3)
Call of Duty: BlackOps (Xbox 360, PS3, PC, Wii, DS)

LINKS

Looking for links to video game news?

Four Player Co-Op
Joystiq
Kotaku
1UP
Destructoid
MTV Multiplayer
CVG

-----------------------
Not a big week in the world of video games, I blame it on the impending Call of Duty news rush. I bet 25% of next week's news will be about BlackOps. You can tell there is kind of a clam before the storm in the industry. Definitely less press releases and things being announced in the next few days. While you're waiting for BlackOps to come out you can listen to my podcast, Bullshot! it's a lot of fun. I promise.

Contributor: be mine
12:20 PM on 11/07/10
live.
Feenay! Fee hee hee hee heenay!
User Info.
I know this is late, but I just caught up with all of the NBA 2k11 hype. So excited to grab a copy when I get home!
12:34 PM on 11/07/10
Spartan789013
I should be proper for a change
User Info.
That PDF on video game violence is really interesting.
12:37 PM on 11/07/10
StepsInADance
taeyeonlogic.tumblr.com
User Info.
Any news on Resident Evil is good news
12:39 PM on 11/07/10
TwelveTribes230
<>
User Info.
Cannot wait for Call of Duty: BlackOps. Also I got Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II last week and it is awesome.
12:40 PM on 11/07/10
ugman_2000
May your music break my ear drums
User Info.
Games Round-Up

-----------------------
Not a big week in the world of video games, I blame it on the impending Call of Duty news rush. I bet 25% of next week's news will be about BlackOps. You can tell there is kind of a clam before the storm in the industry. Definitely less press releases and things being announced in the next few days. While you're waiting for BlackOps to come out you can listen to my podcast, Bullshot! it's a lot of fun. I promise.

Contributor: be mine

?

Also the Half Life 3 bit made me laugh
01:52 PM on 11/07/10
j1887m
J1887M
User Info.
NHL 11 got its first roster update.. New Vegas is still loaded with bugs.
02:17 PM on 11/07/10
FBTMOPenguins
Spinning Bird Kick!
User Info.
Oh for Street Fighter fans visit Shoryuken.com or Eventhubs.com lot's of exciting news almost everyday regarding SSF4 and the Third Strike online editon for consoles check it out.
02:29 PM on 11/07/10
DanTGD
Dynamite Hero
User Info.
anyone who pays $280 dollars for a guitar hero guitar controller instead of buying a real guitar needs a slap from every guitarist on the planet.
02:47 PM on 11/07/10
LoadedGunX21
21 and invincible..
User Info.
i'm surprised you didnt post anything about the kinect- reviews, game info, the issues currently surrounding the system, sales reports, etc. it was pretty much microsoft's biggest thing since the 360 itself (at least in their eyes, since they predict 5 mil sold by the end of the year).

and i have the uneasy feeling that Black OPS will be a let down. I didnt care too much for WaW....
02:50 PM on 11/07/10
LoadedGunX21
21 and invincible..
User Info.
anyone who pays $280 dollars for a guitar hero guitar controller instead of buying a real guitar needs a slap from every guitarist on the planet.
that's a little presumptuous. to me, that seems like a good way to get people interested in playing the guitar. if it works the way they claim it will, its a good way to teach people how to play the instrument and learn some really popular songs. there would be no way in hell i would buy it, since i already know what i'm doing on the ol six string (actually, I use a seven...) but for a beginner, is it really that bad of an idea?
03:05 PM on 11/07/10
VeryWittyName
User Info.

It is a real guitar though. It works just the same as a regular ome, except it's also compatible with Rock Band.
04:20 PM on 11/07/10
tomzenns
tomzennsRAR!
User Info.
NHL 11 Patch Info

From the podcast.
Saskatoon Blades and a few other teams are now playable in season mode without the game breaking
From ChewieNHL (EA dev)
1500XP bug in BaGM fixed
Jr. players becoming FA's too early in BaGM
From Redshirt:
Fixes for several rare crashes during gameplay.
Fix problem that resulted in attributes of players who drop from OTP/EASHL games not being reset to the default attributes for AI players.
Prevent push puck while holding the pass button (prevents an exploit).
Prevent the face-off deke move from being done on a backhand face-off grip.
Eliminated several situations where the puck could be poked out of the goalie's glove as he is getting up or covering the puck against the side of the net.
Allow shots that are blocked without using the shot block control to count in shot block stats (but they will not contribute to teamplay scores in Be A Pro, Online Team Play or EASHL modes).
Fix some situations where a puck off the skate was incorrectly being considered a deliberate kick and resulting in goals being disallowed that should not have been.
Fix for cases where the goalie would sweep the puck into his own net when attempting to clear it.
Fix problem that prevented the opposing team from being able to pick up slap passes in some situations.
Prevent fake shot from being used when doing protect puck.
Force self-boardplay pin to have a minimum duration to prevent an exploit.
Fix for a case where broken or dropped sticks would disappear from the ice.
Fix problem where the first powerplay forward line was being put out following a delayed penalty, regardless of what line the user selected.
Prevent stick lifts from working on a player while he is doing the "jump over" deke.
Fix problem where injured players could get stuck on the ice.
Fix problem allowing hard passes off of a face-off.
Fix problem that sometimes caused a defenseman to be positioned on the wrong side for short-handed defensive zone face-offs.
Increase the effect of the stick checking attribute on stick lifts.
Prevent flip dump from being used directly on a face-off.
Prevent situations where a player could go directly from being down on the ice into a slapshot windup.
Improve defensive awareness attribute effect on interceptions.
Cause players to slow down more while skating using protect puck control.
Add additional pass error to the AI players to balance the fact that humans players have imprecise controller input.
There are also several bug fixes made possible by the patch that will be activated through the next tuning update, these include:
Enabling auto-backskate setting to work in online games.
Reducing the ease of losing an edge and falling down while skating without the puck.
Fix problem where players will fall easily again immediately after losing an edge a first time.
Increase how aggressive AI defenders are on the rush making it less easy to gain the zone by skating wide on them every time.
Increase friction when diving and reduce the effectiveness of diving poke checks at knocking the puck away from the puck carrier.
Increase the acceleration and top speed of a player using push puck, which had been lowered to prevent the push puck exploit (mentioned above).
That tuning update will also include other gameplay tuning, details to follow. It is possible it will be broken up into two separate updates if the patches for PS3 and 360 do not come out at the same time because the auto-backskate fix has to happen for both at once because they get the same tuning file and without the patch the change will cause problems.
04:22 PM on 11/07/10
Dan CiTi
To Let The World Be
User Info.
Oh for Street Fighter fans visit Shoryuken.com or Eventhubs.com lot's of exciting news almost everyday regarding SSF4 and the Third Strike online editon for consoles check it out.
Yeah it is too bad this section doesn't cover any fighting game news, but it is an okay round up. I think it is funny they still have that old ass Guitar Hero icon. Wish they would upgrade to a new sexy Rock Band 3 one myself, that and Dance Central are really good/pretty music games.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests