Username
Password
Rx Bandits News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Rx Bandits
Inside AP.net

The Bandits are Pissed

Posted by: Blake Solomon (11/09/10)
The RX Bandits are not happy with Drive Thru Records' decision to release their album Progress on vinyl.
angerApparently DTR is making more money from our album Progress by selling it for a vinyl pressing we were not asked nor do we get 1 cent from it, just business as usual for DTR ripping off bands.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 86
11:28 AM on 11/09/10
thatwasamoment
RICH GANNON WAR WAGON
User Info.
Well that's it, I'll never eat fast food again!
11:28 AM on 11/09/10
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
Damn.
11:30 AM on 11/09/10
Spartan789013
I should be proper for a change
User Info.
I like how the quote box says "anger".

But, my reaction towards DTR:

11:30 AM on 11/09/10
suppyguppy
User Info.
How is this label still putting anything out?
11:32 AM on 11/09/10
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
I didn't realize Enjoy The Ride Records had anything to do with Drive-Thru. I mean, I understand these were originally Drive-Thru releases, but it's them selling it, not DTR. Either way, it's pretty bad that RXB didn't have any say in this at all
11:33 AM on 11/09/10
combatchuckaa
blammo!
User Info.
How is this label still putting anything out?

Selling licenses for vinyl pressings of old material.

I can understand how RX Bandits is upset about this but I'm guessing they signed a contract a long time ago that made it so they wouldn't receive compensation for things like vinyl pressings. Doesn't mean DTR shouldn't be giving them something for it though.
11:34 AM on 11/09/10
combatchuckaa
blammo!
User Info.
I didn't realize Enjoy The Ride Records had anything to do with Drive-Thru. I mean, I understand these were originally Drive-Thru releases, but it's them selling it, not DTR. Either way, it's pretty bad that RXB didn't have any say in this at all

ETR bought the rights to press it from DTR.
11:34 AM on 11/09/10
notmrblond234
let's make a movie or something
User Info.
Doesn't Drive Thru have a history of shady nonsense like this?
11:36 AM on 11/09/10
Lawliet
I have learned to love the lie
User Info.
Doesn't Drive Thru have a history of shady nonsense like this?
Yup, hence the last part of the state from Rx
11:37 AM on 11/09/10
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
User Info.
DTR doesn't have to ask Rx Bandits' permission to do jack shit...and if the album is now owned by Enjoy The Ride Records or whatever, then they don't have to get permission either.

As much as I think that DTR is a sleazy label, they are only doing what the contract gives them the right to do. A contract that the band signed.

If a band wants a say on how their music is distributed, then they shouldn't sign to a label. If you sell your property (in this case, music) to another party, then that party has the right to treat that property however they please.

I disagree with Rx Bandits here, as much as I hate DTR.
11:40 AM on 11/09/10
PirateSkater182
I want a new username.
User Info.
Walk on Richards back for $10 an hour.
11:45 AM on 11/09/10
a3s1g1
User Info.
RXB have hated DTR ever since they were on the label.

It's unfortunate that they signed a deal with them in the first place, as they never really belonged on tours with NFG/Allister/and other pop punk bands...it's a shame DTR is doing this, but it was a bad deal to begin with.

Long live RXB
11:46 AM on 11/09/10
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
User Info.
This kind of stuff is exactly why I'm starting a proper re-issue label. Most re-issues are done completely without artist consent. Labels should be dong these kind of releases right by the artists and making sure they will be getting proper compensation.

I'm working closely with an awesome band right now and their old label to insure that everything is to their liking. I can't announce it yet, but I will say that bullshit like this has made me think twice about buying re-issues recently. A lot of the labels are focusing on the monetary aspect instead of the musical. I'm working to make that hesitation disappear.
Yes, god forbid a company that makes it possible for a band to make an album, distribute an album, and tour the album receive compensation for the work it puts in.
11:49 AM on 11/09/10
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
User Info.
I want to reiterate one more time, bands that sign to labels DO NOT OWN THE MUSIC ANYMORE, and they have no right to dictate what happens with their music. They don't even have a moral right. The participated in a business transaction that relieved them of their right to ownership.

If I make a chair, and I sell the chair to someone else, I don't get to tell the person I sold it to what to do with the chair after the transaction has been completed.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums