Password

Album Review
Eyes Set to Kill - Broken Frames Album Cover

Eyes Set to Kill - Broken Frames

Reviewed by
Eyes Set to Kill - Broken Frames
Record Company: BreakSilence Recordings
Release Date: June 8, 2010
Before receiving this album in the mail, I ventured back and listened to Eyes Set to Kill's previous albums to note changes from then to now while reviewing this album. I realize now how unnecessary this was, as no change has occurred (excluding the addition of recording-session-only screamer Justin Denson, which is rather disappointing, considering how skilled he is) and how relieving this is in a way. Fans of Eyes Set to Kill will most likely still be fans after this record; haters will still be haters. But for quality, how is their newest album, "Broken Frames"? I'll respond with a middle ground "Eh, it's not bad." Half of the time the band relies too much on Alexia Rodriguez's clean vocals; the other half it's a solid mix of clean/scream vocals that's backed up with solid musicians.

"All You Ever Knew" is a heavy gut-busting opener, right off the bat showcasing Denson's powerful pitchy screams while slamming head-first into an onslaught of impressive guitar work from Greg Kerwin. This is the perfect example of the workable balance of power between Denson and Rodriguez, the latter really belting it in a poppy catchy chorus. "Broken Frames" continues onward, following much of the sound in the opener. Both serve well as definite potential singles. "Ticking Bombs" has a driving sound and spectacular drumming from Caleb Clifton, especially in the verses. This is the rare occasion on this album where pure clean vocals actually works at an impressive level.

Production is extremely well done, successfully letting each member shine at once without sounding like a big mess of sound. And there's definitely a lot going on at once here. On a musical level, we have talented musicians who bring absolutely nothing new to the game. Who says every band has to be innovative anyways? Consistency can be a virtue when done well.

So what we have in the end is a band who changes nothing because it works for them, and it obviously works for their massive fan base. From a critical, objective look however, this album is nothing new and too often recycles old material and maintains a monotonous sound throughout. So, like a human, I'm going to sit back and let my subjective side take over and still recommend this album to all my friends for its entertaining 36 minute dose of metal candy.
Grade: B-

Recommended If You LikeESTK's earlier material, hot clean vocalists, listening to music while you drive around town with your brutal friends

Solid TracksBroken Frames, All You Ever Knew, Ticking Bombs

Eyes Set to Kill's Myspace
Buy It
This review is a user submitted review from Corey Hoffy. You can see all of Corey Hoffy's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
11:22 AM on 11/14/10
Hidden In NJ
Cilvia Demo
User Info.
Not for me..
12:40 PM on 11/14/10
HCO SF 87
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
so justin does all the screaming in the studio and cisko does it all live?? thats strange, ive never heard of anything like that before.
01:25 PM on 11/14/10
tefarez
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i listen to it from time to time

love me some Alexia
03:15 PM on 11/14/10
vivatoto56
Your wick won't burn away
User Info.
The band definitely has talent.

I wish that would rub off better on their studio albums.
04:51 PM on 11/14/10
CheckeredFloors
nah
User Info.
Theres such a thing as a recording session screamer?
06:29 PM on 11/14/10
Corey Hoffy
I refuse to spend life on my knees
User Info.
Theres such a thing as a recording session screamer?
That's what I thought. But apparently that's what they did. Haha.
02:46 AM on 11/21/10
ImInTheCrapper
> beatles
User Info.
hot chicks, shitty band/music
10:46 AM on 11/21/10
SevenAM
User Info.
A session screamer really? do they have no faith in their current screamer?
12:24 PM on 11/21/10
mikeandike1993
im asian!!!!!!!
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
so justin does all the screaming in the studio and cisko does it all live?? thats strange, ive never heard of anything like that before.
no, brandon anderson had some sort of injury i think (then he ended up leaving anyways), so justin came in to be recorded because ESTK toured with the band he was in and they liked him. now they got a new screamer (cisko) after this album was released
07:53 PM on 08/10/11
kbomb001
Jesus Saves
User Info.
their best @ the moment, i may change my mind after hearing White Lotus

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT