AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: New Bedfords, The - 11.04.10

New Bedfords, The - 11.04.10

Interviewed by
New Bedfords, The - 11.04.10The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

The New Bedfords
(questions answered by Matt, one of the guitarists)

www.thenewbedfords.com
facebook.com/thenewbedfords
myspace.com/thenewbedfords
twitter.com/thenewbedfords
www.Youtube.com/thenewbedfords

1. How did you get your band name?
WellÖ we wanted another name that had ďBedfordĒ in it, but that turned out to already be an existing band, so for the sake of originality we didnít want to use that. We wrestled with a few other names but nothing struck a chord with us as much as the original name, so we decided, screw those guys, well be the NEW bedfords. And the rest, as they say, is history.

2. How did this band get started?
Matt (guitar) learned two high school friends Dan (guitar) and Adam (Drums) were starting a new band, they jammed for a while with a different drummer, and Adam on bass. A few months later the original drummer left, Adam took the helm on the drums, and Ali (vocals), college friend of Matt, came in for some vocals. After a bit of hunting a friend suggested mutual friend Kris (bass) as a bass player, and we hit the ground running.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Everything from Ok Go, Franz Ferdinand, Bruce Springsteen, Prince, U2, The Talking Heads and Led Zeppelin

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
I would love to play with Ok GoÖ they look like they have so much fun. PastÖ talking heads just to see how large David Byrnes' big suits are, and to learn some new dance moves.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
Corgi. Look at them, they are irresistible. Why wouldnít you want to be one?

6. Why should people listen to your band?
We feel we are offering a good mixture of dance and rock music. We arenít here to offend anyone, or shoehorn ourselves into a specific style. The music we play is pretty much accessible for all genres, but still has a sound unique to ourselves

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
People usually play guitar hero drunk, right? Off the EP, Enough To Break The Ice, Iíd have to suggest ďIím Good For Some Bad DecisionsĒ because itís all about partying and trying to be as smooth as possible. I think it would be pretty hard on expert.. Dan tears up that solo at the end!

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Anyone that actually cares about music. When all you do is care about music it always comes as a shock to me that so many people see it as background noise or donít go to shows or know local bands or play an instrument. Iíd have to thank everyone that is still part of this wonderful culture of music.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
There is more to a band than just one song, and the industry needs to know that. Also that itís no longer just a fashion show. There are so many talented and original bands that get overshadowed by a lot of garbage out there.

10. Memorable tour experience?
So far my favorite show has been our CMJ showcase. 1) Because we were involved in such an awesome concert series and 2) because people we didnít know were chanting for an encore. It was an awesome feeling

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
Unfortunately Iím not as active as I was at one time on AP but I always loved bullshitting in the general section and seeing mht tear stupid kids apart. I actually met sevenohthree at a Brand New show one time just because I recognized a tattoo on her arm that she posted. Creepy? Probably.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
Itís not on our ep but will be on our LP when that gets recorded but both songs"Answer Me" and "The Industrial Age". "The Industrial Age" has a sweet Mega Man 8 bit sounding guitar line in it. A live version is on the facebook page!

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Anything I can snowboard at. Thatís all I need.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
I bought Evil Empire by Rage Against the Machine when I was 12 because some kid I thought was cool was wearing a shirt with them on it. That cd made me realize how much amazing music I was missing out on. I still love them, but that kid turned out to be a dick.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
The guitar abilities of Tom Morello. Done.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
Weíre still the little guy, but we love what we do. Once someone recognizes me, or I see someone wearing one of our tshirts that I donít know Iíll feel more accomplished.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I honestly have no idea how to play the guitar, so donít ask me to teach you. Dan can back me up on this.

18. What's your favorite holiday?
Easter, because that is when the Starburst jellybeans come out.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Right now Iím studying for my masters so its all work work work, band stuff, work work work. Not much ďspare timeĒ for me right now. But when I get a second I watch "Law and Order" because, regardless of what time it is, itís on some channel.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I had the ability to fill out this entire questionnaire in 15 minutes. I think thatís pretty talented, no? Itís not? Well then I have nothing for this question I guess.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
05:01 PM on 11/13/10
ZoSo1886
www.twitter.com/jamesbenedictnj
User Info.
matt lynch is incredibly sexy. and so is his sometimes mustache

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles