Password

Album Review
The Damned Things - Ironiclast Album Cover

The Damned Things - Ironiclast

Reviewed by
The Damned ThingsIroniclast
Release Date: December 14, 2010
Record Label: Island
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Fall Out Boy, Every Time I Die, and Anthrax?

Now that lineup looks more like my ideal concert rather than a supergroup consisting of members from each band. But hearing is believing, and The Damned Things is dead set on converting you to their worship of rock and roll. Here’s a quick dirty breakdown: three years ago Joe Trohman and Scott Ian met and began writing together. Later Keith Buckley, Andy Hurley, and Rob Caggiano were invited to round out the group. They played their first show earlier this summer and now they are about to close out your 2010 the right way with their raucous debut album, Ironiclast.

Still scratching your head over how this will sound? Well, it’s not that complicated, as Ironiclast features a lot of the elements originally heard on records from each member’s respective band. Thrash, metal, and pop collide to create a well-balanced rock record. It’s equally catchy and riff-heavy, as heard on opener “Handbook For The Recently Deceased.” Try to not act impressed as Buckley croons over the chorus, as Trohman, Ian, and Caggiano (who also plays bass) lead the triple guitar attack. Trohman finally gets to show off his chops, as Fall Out Boy never really gave him the chance to show off his guitar skills. In fact, Ironiclast is a chance for each member to do new things. Ian and Caggiano have never been a part of something this poppy, Trohman and Hurley finally get to unleash their heavier side, and, of course, Buckley gets to dive into the vocal style he’s only dabbled in on previous ETID records. Ironiclast is familiar yet unique.

The bridge on “Bad Blood” showcases a mesmerizing riff and an urgent Buckley asking, “Where was I when you thought I crossed the line?” These are Buckley’s most personal lyrics to date; as he favors a more straight-forward take over being ethereal and vague. The key to this album is that it never stays in one place. Genres abound from classic rock to blues to thrash. One second they’re laying down incredibly catchy choruses (“Friday Night (Going Down In Flames)” and “Little Darling”), then a power ballad shows up (“A Great Reckoning”). But don't get too comfortable because you'll eventually get your head bashed in (the pulverizing “Grave Robber”).

But The Damned Things are at their best when they mix up all their styles into one delicious cocktail. “Black Heart” is like an old fashioned Wild, Wild West shootout, as all three guitarists power the song behind the swagger that is Buckley’s vocal harmonies. Hurley is a beast behind the kits on “We’ve Got A Situation Here,” a song destined to destroy arenas everywhere, while the dark thrash of the title track comes off as the most beautiful ETID/Anthrax bastard child.

The Damned Things have the kind of bravado that many rock bands of late have been lacking. Seriously, anything goes on Ironiclast – it’s heavy, hook-laden, and stuffed with huge riffs. It’s basically a modern take on the classic rock record. No gimmicks, no frills, no bullshit, this is just a straight up rock and roll takeover.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Handbook For The Recently Deceased
2. Bad Blood
3. Friday Night (Going Down In Flames)
4. We've Got A Situation Here
5. Black Heart
6. A Great Reckoning
7. Little Darling
8. Ironiclast
9. Grave Robber
10. Blues Having The Blues
Produced by: Joe Trohman and Rob Caggiano

The Damned Things is:
Keith Buckley - vocals
Joe Trohman - lead guitar
Scott Ian - rhythm guitar
Rob Caggiano - lead guitar/bass
Andy Hurley - drums

Official Website; Official Myspace; Official Facebook Page; Official AP.net Profile; Official Twitter Page

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 97
01:42 AM on 11/17/10
Ricketts
@allenricketts
User Info.
Awesome review. I can not wait to get this shit. Next to MCR, my most anticipated this year.
01:52 AM on 11/17/10
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
Hands down, one of your best reviews this year!

Seriously, now give me the damn thing!!! Hahaha
02:33 AM on 11/17/10
NateFoundGlory
Why do you stay till you see blood?
User Info.
<<<wants. Really really bad.
04:33 AM on 11/17/10
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Great review, Drew. I'd really like to hear this record soon...
05:54 AM on 11/17/10
bones jones
'rrhea
User Info.
yes
05:56 AM on 11/17/10
JTHomeslice
Your girl's favorite pizza boy
User Info.
Can't fucking wait to hear this.
05:57 AM on 11/17/10
henry chinaski
User Info.
looking forward to this. k. buckley can do no wrong.
05:57 AM on 11/17/10
derekjd
Mr.DRM
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Brilliant review.
I'm a little confused. What are the vocals like? (screaming/melodic/what?)
06:23 AM on 11/17/10
topher465
every shining time you arrive
User Info.
Definitely going to check this out. Big fan of Keith Buckley's lyrics, and of course Every Time I Die.
06:28 AM on 11/17/10
DangerStepp
User Info.
I hail from the ETID camp. I WILL own this record...day effing one!

Awesome review, Drew!
06:43 AM on 11/17/10
BozzBlonde
twitter.com/adeadgod
User Info.
Awesome. I can't wait to hear this.
07:10 AM on 11/17/10
mayday
houston, we have a problem.
User Info.
I wanna hear this so bad, really great review.
I know most of Drew's reviews are troll magnets with their scoring and all that, but the guy knows how to get people excited about an album. Major props.
07:12 AM on 11/17/10
geetarjizosh
My god, I am not, but you are.
User Info.
I've been waiting for this forever.
07:31 AM on 11/17/10
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Nice review. Got me sufficiently excited for this one.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos