Password

Album Review

Invisible Elephant - The Lights Go On Album Cover

Invisible Elephant - The Lights Go On

Reviewed by
Invisible Elephant - The Lights Go On
Record Label: Sonic Reverie Records
Release Date: May 10th 2010

I really hated exercise when I was younger. All that moving and needless waste of energy, it just didn’t agree with my artistic mindset. And now that I am in my twenties, I am even less interested in prolonged physical activity. But from time to time every person needs a real good work out, and that is where Invisible Elephant comes in. The mysterious outfit have arrived with a heavy looking gym bag. Fortunately for us, the bag is filled with a wide variety of instruments. And they are here to exercise your fledgling mind.

The Lights Go Out contains an absolute maze of sounds that stray into precocious genres such as ambience, lo-fi, psychedelic rock, dream pop, folk rock and any other modern term you can throw its way. The (mostly) slow jams rise and fall amongst the cacophony of billowing tones that are constantly building in multilayered unison. Very few audible words are expressed on the albums collection of seven songs and when they are, they are often part of the background noise with the musical progression taking centre stage. On "Wind-Up Bird", African chanting provides a distinctly haunting accompanying piece to door squeaking and primal steel drums. The chants drone and droop, and eventually morph into an amorous community effort. At its best moments the record gives off an almost shoe gaze glare to the increasingly relaxing listeners.

The mostly instrumental work is strewn with delicate undercurrents and doesn’t really take much effort to get involved with; the main problem is trying to place what instrument is soothing your mind at what times. The instrumentation incorporates not only the normal rock band musical tools but also synthesisers, frog guiros and pre-school toy drum kits. The impression given off is that the mysterious sole contributing artist incorporated anything that could make a noise and that was lying around his Blackpool, United Kingdom household at the time. On opener "Communication (Part II)" the reverb feedback almost feels uncomfortable but is salvaged by being cocooned in the chime of successfully sounding awesome over the duration of a five minute track. "Chasing The Ghost" finishes the record off by being even more mellow than the introduction track hinted the album could possibly be.

I will leave the summary to the record label that have put it better than I ever could: “The end result is transcendental music which simultaneously exhibits subtlety, ferocity, discordance, melody and an acute ear for imbuing the familiar with the futuristic.” Just sit back and relax, I am sure you agree that all that moving and needless waste of energy; it just doesn’t agree with your artistic mindset.

Oh, and don’t let the ridiculously terrible band name throw you off either.

Recommended If You LikeMy Bloody Valentine- Loveless; Primal Scream; Indefinable Genre's

Download Free from: http://invisible-elephant.bandcamp.com/
This review is a user submitted review from OnaedInSpace. You can see all of OnaedInSpace's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version