AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
He Is We - My Forever Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7
Production 8.75
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.65
Musicianship 9.15
Lyrics 8.6
Production 9
Creativity 8.55
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Average: 91%
Inside AP.net

He Is We - My Forever

Reviewed by: Ryan Gardner (11/17/10)
He Is WeMy Forever
Record Label: FrameworkNY
Release Date: November 23, 2010

Rachel Taylor and Trevor Kelly are He Is We, an upbeat heartfelt pop duo. After meeting each other working at Ted Brown Music together in Tacoma, Washington, Taylor and Kelly began to make music in the back room there. Albeit he grew up on hardcore music and she was more pop influenced, the pair work together splendidly, evident throughout their debut record, My Forever. The result of this pair is an optimistic, encouraging record that is sure to bring a smile upon the listener’s face; even though the music and lyrics are rather ordinary and basic, that in no way diminishes the genuine feel-good atmosphere of the record.

Prevalent throughout the opening track “Forever And Ever,” Taylor’s soft vocals are the driving force behind He Is We, while Kelly simply provides fitting instrumentation behind her sugary melodies. A breath of fresh air and buoyancy, this opening track wholly conveys the inspiring mood of My Forever. Conversely, the following “All About Us” features soft guitar picking and light drum taps behind Taylor’s humble vocals. The Almost’s Aaron Gillespie makes an appropriate appearance here, as his gentle voice accompanies Taylor’s words stunningly through call and return pieces. “Everything You Do” is another addictive number demonstrating the versatility He Is We encompass with their sound.

Whereas all seems excessively poppy and sweetened thus far into the record, that is not to say that He Is We are incapable of possessing and fully representing a softer side. Soft piano begins “Happily Ever After” and keeps the pace through Taylor’s heightening vocal performance, easily one of the best vocal highlights of the record. Similarly, “Kiss It Better” is undoubtedly the most vulnerable point on My Forever, as the stripped down guitar and vocals allow only emotion to seep through. The result of this intricacy is simply: a precious track that is both poignant and haunting, inciting chills as Taylor’s gorgeous voice carries the stinging lyrics masterfully.

Clearly still feeling the effect of “Kiss It Better,” “Prove You Wrong” continues in the same nature, while the closing “Love Life” and “Fall” are true pop songs – nothing less, nothing more. With the former featuring addicting “la-la-la-las” and the latter closing Forever on a note nothing less than perfect, the record ends on an ideal note.

Through and through, He Is We consistently prove that the infectious vocal harmonies will turn heads, but that it’s ultimately the intricate, stripped down tracks that most separate the young artists from other acts in their genre. In this way, from beginning to end, Taylor’s soaring vocals shine throughout this debut record, while Kelly’s instrumentation accents the tone of each track ideally. For just a debut record, My Forever has set He Is We up for greatness.

Recommended If You LikeSara Bareilles, The Morning Of’s The World As We Know It; States; Copeland; female fronted pop artists

Listen ToAll About Us; Kiss It Better; Fall

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Forever And Ever
2. All About Us (Feat. Aaron Gillespie)
3. Everything You Do
4. And Run
5. Happily Ever After
6. Kiss It Better
7. Prove You Wrong
8. Blame It On The Rain
9. Love Life
10. Fall

He Is We are:
Rachel Taylor – Vocals
Trevor Kelley – Instruments, Vocals

Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 43
04:51 PM on 11/17/10
Ian Walker
wes craven with x cravings.
User Info.
The Morning Of reference has totally put this on my radar. Great review, Ryan!
04:54 PM on 11/17/10
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
The Morning Of reference has totally put this on my radar. Great review, Ryan!
Thank you, Ian! Check out "Kiss It Better" - it's one of my favorite songs of the year
06:48 PM on 11/17/10
cwhit412
User Info.
I want this. Badly.
Nice first real staff review.
08:59 PM on 11/17/10
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
I find them soooooo boring. Way too cute
09:25 PM on 11/17/10
vivatoto56
EB was left out
User Info.
Excited for this release.

Love them.
12:16 AM on 11/18/10
blindrider529
***NICKEL CREEK*** <--GO LISTEN NOW
User Info.
Catch them live if you can. Her voice is absolutely brilliant. Seriously angelic. Wonderful on record, but STUNNING in a live setting.
12:20 AM on 11/18/10
HometownHero
User Info.
Nice job bro Cant wait for this.
12:20 AM on 11/18/10
giun_da
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i like music ang singer, hi
dress up games
12:24 AM on 11/18/10
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
Good review.
12:25 AM on 11/18/10
JuneJuly
Allez l'OL
User Info.
LOVE the Aaron G. song. So yummy.
12:35 AM on 11/18/10
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Love this album. Has radio and movie soundtracks written all over it.
12:43 AM on 11/18/10
M.Lee
man I'm pretty
User Info.
I think I want this to be better than it will actually turn out to be. We'll see.
02:57 AM on 11/18/10
amjetset
He is We / Manager
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think I want this to be better than it will actually turn out to be. We'll see.
i don't think you'll be disappointed. stacked full of hits....of course i'm biased though.
04:21 AM on 11/18/10
luvsickcatalyst
wander eyes, ocean high.
User Info.
The album's pretty freaking catchy; I can't stop playing "All About Us". And I just interviewed them for my radio show on Sunday; such nice, funny people.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums