AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

07:33 PM on 11/18/10 
User Info.
Ollie McKraut
Registered Member
Male - 23 Years Old
I don't know why "pure" is better than "impure" in ANY context.

Pure ecstacy is better than ecstacy laced with Para-Methoxyamphetamine for instance. Also water is best when not impure, helps to keep cholera under control. Seems obvious, maybe that's not what you mean by "ANY" context
07:50 PM on 11/18/10 
User Info.
IntoTheSun
my blood flows harshly
Brooklyn, NY
Female - 22 Years Old
Pure ecstacy is better than ecstacy laced with Para-Methoxyamphetamine for instance. Also water is best when not impure, helps to keep cholera under control. Seems obvious, maybe that's not what you mean by "ANY" context

Go an breathe some pure oxygen for a couple of minutes and get back to us. And go snort some pure cocaine while you're at it. Context.
08:13 PM on 11/18/10 
User Info.
The Personist
http://davidwpritchard.tumblr.co m
Male - 26 Years Old
Is ecstasy actually "pure"? It's a concoction of chemicals, is it not?
Go an breathe some pure oxygen for a couple of minutes and get back to us. And go snort some pure cocaine while you're at it. Context.

Thanks bro.
08:24 PM on 11/18/10 
User Info.
saysmydoctor
Resident New Yorker
Albany NY
Male - 24 Years Old
I would think art you keep to yourself is the most "pure" art. Then again, sometimes that's done because you think it's bad. There is a little bit of self-preservation in everything we do.

/thoughts
08:48 PM on 11/18/10 
User Info.
EasySkankin
Male - 23 Years Old
i don't completely agree with that. i enjoy tons of art that does not make me care about its creator in any fashion...most architectural art is the quickest example i can come up with, but it certainly extends to music and painting and the like.
Well I meant it in a more abstract way. You can look at some art or listen to a tune and try to understand, but no one is going to understand like the artist, it's like an extension of himself. But yeah, the only architect i've ever heard of is frank wright, so you got a point there. Sucks to be an architect haha
Is ecstasy actually "pure"? It's a concoction of chemicals, is it not?
It actually is, and pure MDMA is fantastic.
10:06 PM on 11/18/10 
User Info.
Neo Cassady
Let's go exploring!
Cincinnati, OH
Male - 28 Years Old
If art is "cheapened" by being created with the intent of being appreciated (or even viewed), then I'd argue that the "purest" form of art is something like this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/01/ar...nderbelly.html

Quote:
Known to its creators and participating artists as the Underbelly Project, the space, where all the show’s artworks remain, defies every norm of the gallery scene. Collectors can’t buy the art. The public can’t see it. And the only people with a chance of stumbling across it are the urban explorers who prowl the city’s hidden infrastructure or employees of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

That’s because the exhibition has been mounted, illegally, in a long-abandoned subway station. The dank, cavernous hall feels a lot farther than it actually is from the bright white rooms of Chelsea’s gallery district. Which is more or less the point: This is an art exhibition that goes to extremes to avoid being part of the art world, and even the world in general.

Although, they let at least one reporter in, so even that has its impurities.
10:19 PM on 11/18/10 
User Info.
zion the lion
pull over that ass is too fat.
Female - 22 Years Old
If that's the case, my masterpiece of an avatar (that I made) is super super pure.
11:06 PM on 11/18/10 
User Info.
frenchatticus
"Capitalism is killing music."
?
Male - 22 Years Old
Toy Story 2 was okay
11:47 PM on 11/18/10 
User Info.
Theseventhson
NY
Male - 22 Years Old
Will formulate thoughts later.
12:37 AM on 11/19/10 
User Info.
x togepi x
Fake Punk Fan
Male - 29 Years Old
Well if the defense stops with "it's more pure," then I would contest that, but I get a feeling that's not the case. Also, it's not like you're unselfconscious about it.

i think it's "more pure" but it all exists on a continuum. obviously "pureness" doesn't exist. i just think those things are more fluid.
08:44 AM on 11/19/10 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Tallahassee, FL
Male - 28 Years Old
If you're overly concerned about your art being 'pure', then you never gave a fuck about your art to begin with.
08:53 AM on 11/19/10 
User Info.
mattyrocks
i always thought that if you created art you would want SOMEONE to appreciate it.
09:06 AM on 11/19/10 
User Info.
Nevuk
Post-Structural Anarchist
Cincinnati OH
Male - 25 Years Old
i always thought that if you created art you would want SOMEONE to appreciate it.
Sharing it with others is probably the most common cause of doing art but plenty of people write novels, songs, etc. and never share them with anyone. There's a few books that are around without the author having wanted them published. That one puritan poet is an example, although she's not a very good one because her family knew about it. Anne Bradstreet.

With that said, a lot of people who write this way have self-confidence issues and don't think anyone would want to read their writing so that may be their motivation

Art is more difficult because there is an inherent cost to it not associated with writing. (Which is why visual art is rarely ever going to be truly non-capitalistic).
09:53 PM on 11/19/10 
User Info.
Love As Arson
Resident Marxist
The Motherland
Male - 29 Years Old
Hmm:

Quote:
The notion that art is the mirror of nature is one that only appeals in periods of skepticism. Art does not imitate nature, it imitates a creation, sometimes to propose an alternative world, sometimes simply to amplify, to confirm, to make social the brief hope offered by nature. Art is an organized response to what nature allows us to glimpse occasionally. Art sets out to transform the potential recognition into an unceasing one. It proclaims man in the hope of receiving a surer reply...the transcendental face of art is always a form of prayer.
01:06 PM on 11/20/10 
User Info.
jawstheme
I'm not here. This isn't happening.
Pennsylvania
Male

Not at all.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version