AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Volumes - The Concept of Dreaming Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 3.5
Musicianship 9.75
Lyrics 5.25
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 6.75
Reviewer Tilt 6.25
Final Verdict: 69%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 6.5
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 7.75
Average: 79%

Volumes - The Concept of Dreaming

Reviewed by: Krazycev13 (11/19/10)
Volumes - The Concept of Dreaming
Record Label: Mediaskare
November 16, 2010

I've had this EP for months, so how was it only released in November? Had to get that out of the way, seeing as I don't know the actual day this EP was posted in its entirety. To be honest, I don't know how to classify this album, other than melodic deathcore. For some, that may not even seem physically possible, but it is.

The actual image of the band is probably deceiving, as they look like they might be a rapcore group. The image is something that initially made me not want to listen to these guys, and there are points where I wish I didn't, particularly in the lyrics. Take "Two-One", for instance. "Rise the fuck up / And see what happens / This is an epidemic / One that will not be stopped." Deathcore lyrics almost mixed with some kind of teen anthem? I don't even know how to describe it. All I know is that it isn't good. Other disastrous lyrics can be found in "Wormholes", specifically "Do I know you? / Do you know me? / I thought I heard you say / Meet me down by the lake." What the hell? Are these gangster metalheads busy getting wasted on pot to learn how to write a decent song? Almost every lyric on this album annoys me, and unfortunately, the vocals allow me to understand most of them.

And now the chain of negativity. This band has two vocalist, but not for reasons you'd expect. One does high screams, one does low. Though I'm not sure which one does which, these two positions are covered by Michael Barr and Gus Farias. Neither of them are particularly good. They sound similar to Mattie Montgomery of For Today, only if Mattie didn't know how to scream without using his throat. Personally, I find no joy in the vocals, yet I can get past them. I wish one of these fellows could do clean vocals. Can you imagine that? Death post-hardcore? A combination I'd love to hear these guys do, but they just won't allow me the luxury. The vocals remain relatively constant throughout the album, and if you weren't aware of the two vocalists, you'd think their "lone" lead vocalist would have decent range that is bland. Very bland. I'd like to add some more emphasis on bland. Bland. Both vocalists really enjoy monotonously releasing their br00tastic death rattles of doom and destruction and metal. Some people may find enjoyment in it, but I don't.

However, this album has a saving grace: the musicianship. With guitarists Diego Farias and Daniel Schwartz sharing leads with their 7-string guitars that are seemingly tuned impossibly low, these guys are precise and have excellent lead parts, most notably in "Intake" and "Wormholes". The guitars are so deep that, if they were playing alone, I would quite possibly get the urge to kill someone right then and there. The bass work, courtesy of Raad Soudani, on this album actually takes some talent to play, though not quite as overbearing as the shredding guitars. The drums of Chris Khoury are probably the weakest instrumentation, yet they are still powerful and fitting.

Overall, The Concept of Dreaming is a mediocre album. Despite the amazing guitar work, the lyrics, vocals, and other instrumentation dampen the experience tremendously. I think these guitarists need to go join some band with extremely boring instrumentation (I'm looking at you, Attack Attack!) and whip their asses into shape. Or, they could just kick out the two vocalists they have and recruit Michael Guilford of Legion or someone much better at screaming. If they would, I would find this album tremendously more enjoyable. However, for now, I suppose I'm just going to have to listen to some more Hellogoodbye.

Recommended If You LikeBenevolent, Periphery, Meshuggah, a more melodic sounding Suicide Silence, fingers on fire fretwork

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 30
12:26 AM on 11/21/10
more heart
Get Hurt
User Info.
I'm not sure of the relevance between the band's image and the quality of their music. Also, the score does not seem to match the review you wrote. For example, saying you could barely get past the vocals and then scoring them "6.75" seems quite off to me.

And a quick note, this EP was previously self-released by the band earlier in the year and just saw an official release this past Tuesday since they had signed to Mediaskare a few weeks prior.
10:52 AM on 11/21/10
Krazycev13
I tie a horrible knot.
User Info.
I'm not sure of the relevance between the band's image and the quality of their music. Also, the score does not seem to match the review you wrote. For example, saying you could barely get past the vocals and then scoring them "6.75" seems quite off to me.

And a quick note, this EP was previously self-released by the band earlier in the year and just saw an official release this past Tuesday since they had signed to Mediaskare a few weeks prior.
Yeah, I sort of rushed the scores. Thanks for pointing that out to me. And I wasn't necessarily comparing their image to their music, but rather saying their image was an instant turn-off, which never really sparked back on. Fixed the vocal and a few other scores. I find it amusing that since I rated musicianship high, it makes the review seem so much better.
05:10 AM on 11/22/10
kevinAIWW
boner boner boner boner boner boner
User Info.
I love this album. It just pounds really hard. They are one of the fathers of djent. I'm pretty stoked on whatever full length they release in the near future. Album deserves to be in the 70's at least.
11:19 AM on 11/22/10
AaRoNpUnK
fuck the thrill of the chase.
User Info.
the fact that you like Hellogoodbye and disliked this album for the reason of dumb lyrics is wrong on so many levels. sorry. just what i think. this album wasnt amazing by any means but you really over exaggerated how bad it was. the vocals arent as excruciating as you said they were. not a bad cd but Periphery's got em beat. decent album, not so decent review
12:20 AM on 11/23/10
TupacLIVS
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Ok first of all this is the worst review I have ever read.... Because they dress like rap artist you say? wow your such a ****** sorry they don't have gages and tight pants jeezes I cant believe people these days. Maybe they dont follow ****** trends like yourself and like to dress with something called SWAG and STYLE. They live in LA I would love for you to go to a Club in Hollywood dressed up like a metal head or hardcore kid LOL. wow I seriously can not believe this how old are you? like mid 20's or maybe 30? yea these kids are 17 - 20 and your gettn paid to right about em.Oh and by the way they record all there own material as if that is not mind blowing on its own. Give these kids credit for bringing something fresh to the table the front men are probably some of the 2 best screamers ive heard in a long time and they dont even look like screamers its really refreshing to see the younger generation knows whatsup unlike this ****** who wrote this review!
03:54 PM on 11/23/10
Krazycev13
I tie a horrible knot.
User Info.
I love this album. It just pounds really hard. They are one of the fathers of djent. I'm pretty stoked on whatever full length they release in the near future. Album deserves to be in the 70's at least.

just wasn't my cup of tea. but thank you for your intelligent remark, and i'm not being sarcastic.

the fact that you like Hellogoodbye and disliked this album for the reason of dumb lyrics is wrong on so many levels. sorry. just what i think. this album wasnt amazing by any means but you really over exaggerated how bad it was. the vocals arent as excruciating as you said they were. not a bad cd but Periphery's got em beat. decent album, not so decent review

the Hellogoodbye remark was a joke. seeing as the two are totally different styles, the comparison wasn't supposed to be valid. although i like their sound, i know their lyrics were really bad. however, listen to their second album. just sayin. personally, after all of the post-hardcore/metalcore/deathcore i listen to, these guys are certainly towards the bottom of the pile vocal-wise. the lack of range in the screamers' voices was also a contributing factor to the low rating. and is every gazing over the fact that i gave instrumentation a 9.5? lordy. also, that Periphery comment made me laugh. just sayin.

Ok first of all this is the worst review I have ever read.... Because they dress like rap artist you say? wow your such a ****** sorry they don't have gages and tight pants jeezes I cant believe people these days. Maybe they dont follow ****** trends like yourself and like to dress with something called SWAG and STYLE. They live in LA I would love for you to go to a Club in Hollywood dressed up like a metal head or hardcore kid LOL. wow I seriously can not believe this how old are you? like mid 20's or maybe 30? yea these kids are 17 - 20 and your gettn paid to right about em.Oh and by the way they record all there own material as if that is not mind blowing on its own. Give these kids credit for bringing something fresh to the table the front men are probably some of the 2 best screamers ive heard in a long time and they dont even look like screamers its really refreshing to see the younger generation knows whatsup unlike this ****** who wrote this review!

so its the worst review you've ever read because you adore them? and goddamn, the rap comment was simply to show why i wasnt excited to listen to them the first time. that didnt contribute to my score in the slightest. i dont care about the style, that was simply a comment. and hey, bro? i'm 14. i'm not paid, at all. the band i'm in records all their own material. there is nothing fresh about this band to me, as i've heard many others that are similar to them. neither of them are that good of vocalists IN MY OPINION. people like you are the ones who need to stop jumping to conclusions and fully read. seeing as the whole bolded part is all about a one or two sentence comment is ridiculous.
04:17 PM on 11/23/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
1. This person is....
A. In the band.
B. Someone in the band's mom.
C. Someone in the band's girlfriend.
D. Fanboy/girl that is too stupid to learn how to speak English correctly.
E. All of the above.
04:51 PM on 11/23/10
Krazycev13
I tie a horrible knot.
User Info.
1. This person is....
A. In the band.
E. All of the above.
you just became my best friend.

05:02 PM on 11/23/10
Krazycev13
I tie a horrible knot.
User Info.
1. This person is....
A. In the band.
E. All of the above.
wait...wait...wait...no. but...what?

so its a member of the band who is his own mother and is dating himself and is a fanboy/girl of his own music? whatttt?!
05:04 PM on 11/23/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
wait...wait...wait...no. but...what?

so its a member of the band who is his own mother and is dating himself and is a fanboy/girl of his own music? whatttt?!
Nope, this is how it goes. The lead screamer's mom is the drummer. She is dating the lead clean vocalist who is the screamer's best friend. This leads to a lot of tension in the band and the mom (who was born in Colombia and has yet to learn correct English) just becomes a fanboy of her own band's music to get through the long weeks.
05:07 PM on 11/23/10
Krazycev13
I tie a horrible knot.
User Info.
Nope, this is how it goes. The lead screamer's mom is the drummer. She is dating the lead clean vocalist who is the screamer's best friend. This leads to a lot of tension in the band and the mom (who was born in Colombia and has yet to learn correct English) just becomes a fanboy of her own band's music to get through the long weeks.
but...but...but...there's no clean vocals! AHHHH!

i just got my mind blown out of my skull.

the drummer is a manlady in that case. and then...why is she Colombian?
06:55 PM on 11/23/10
kevinAIWW
boner boner boner boner boner boner
User Info.
just wasn't my cup of tea. but thank you for your intelligent remark, and i'm not being sarcastic.

the Hellogoodbye remark was a joke. although i like their sound, i know their lyrics are atrocious. personally, after all of the post-hardcore/metalcore/deathcore i listen to, these guys are certainly towards the bottom of the pile vocal-wise. the lack of range in the screamers' voices was also a contributing factor to the low rating. and is every gazing over the fact that i gave instrumentation a 9.5? lordy. also, that Periphery comment made me laugh. just sayin.

so its the worst review you've ever read because you adore them? and goddamn, the rap comment was simply to show why i wasnt excited to listen to them the first time. that didnt contribute to my score in the slightest. i dont care about the style, that was simply a comment. and hey, bro? i'm 14. i'm not paid, at all. the band i'm in records all their own material. there is nothing fresh about this band to me, as i've heard many others that are similar to them. neither of them are that good of vocalists IN MY OPINION. people like you are the ones who need to stop jumping to conclusions and fully read. seeing as the whole bolded part is all about a one or two sentence comment is ridiculous.
I still dig the EP it's solid. They're more than likely going to progress.
07:26 PM on 11/23/10
Krazycev13
I tie a horrible knot.
User Info.
I still dig the EP it's solid. They're more than likely going to progress.
i certainly hope so. they have potential, i just think they need new vocalist(s)
02:05 AM on 11/24/10
Blink420bongrip
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I just read all the comments and I would have to say jus for example that KevinAIWW has a really cool positive nice way of saying things ansd TupacLIVS might be a little bit harsh but I think hese right over all the review was horrible ok ok he might be a little fan boy but what the fuck good for the band straight up if there really that young of a band good for them. In my full honest oppinion I think there a pretty cool band I'm not the biggest fan in metal but I would'nt call Volumes metal if you ask me I think there something new buttttt thats just me

Best,
Sean B

P.S. sorry for the horrible grammer
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT