AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Record Sales News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Digital Revenue Will Not Save the Music Business

Posted by - 08:04 PM on 11/19/10
Authentik Artists CEO Scott Austin has written a new article for The Comet about the current state of digital revenue and Warner Music Group.

Submitted by punkbob

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
08:31 PM on 11/19/10
Beasleyboi
Sam.
User Info.
Interesting view on what should be done, he may just be right but i don't think it will be that easy. Though something needs to be done asap
09:51 PM on 11/19/10
Christian Wagner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This was an excellent and informative read.
10:34 PM on 11/19/10
SKM
User Info.
I thought this article was going to be interesting but the author really talked about nothing.
01:33 AM on 11/20/10
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
wished he talked about more of a plan...but he makes a point...it's shitty PR to cover the fact that a lot money is getting lost more and more every year by the majors. Yes, the business plan needs to be rebuilt, I just wished he would have explained more ideas...
08:20 AM on 11/20/10
beau blood rush
smoke & mirrors.
User Info.
i love how all this suits are talking about ideas to fix this.
there is no money in 'music' but there is a shit load of money in hype.
11:59 AM on 11/20/10
Meeze
PunkOut.org
User Info.
Idea: let the product sell itself. Sign good musicians and see where they takes you. Risk/reward
12:47 PM on 11/20/10
Hojonny
youtube.com/crashtestprod
User Info.
The big labels can't survive forever, because the acts they sign get huge for a few years, and then are discarded for the next big thing. Problem with that is that no one respects them enough as musicians to actually buy their stuff. This won't necessarily spell demise for them, but I do wonder how much different the musical business landscape would be if good acts got signed instead of the same 4 chords acts. Yes, you may have a smaller market share per band, but you'd have a more devoted market share as well.
12:48 PM on 11/20/10
donturnaway17
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
wished he talked about more of a plan...but he makes a point...it's shitty PR to cover the fact that a lot money is getting lost more and more every year by the majors. Yes, the business plan needs to be rebuilt, I just wished he would have explained more ideas...
warner has to report earnings and losses since they are a publicly traded company. but agree on all your points
01:06 PM on 11/20/10
mattjaikaran
MattJK
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i wrote a paper on this for my copyright law class. the mp3 needs to die. a new coded format needs to be the new wave to end piracy.
03:11 PM on 11/20/10
Riel
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yeah, good luck with completely killing off a file format.
06:53 PM on 11/20/10
jwoody
User Info.
Release albums are mobile applications! Apps are a BOOMING industry that won't go way anytime soon. Put it out for free with a 2 song limit and then a $2.99-$5.99 upgrade that'll include streaming lyrics, location based notifications letting users know when they band's gonna be touring their city, photos, updated news, videos, etc etc etc. Give the consumer MORE for a good price and sell it like hot cakes. Apple profited 2.4 billion last year from apps alone. Combine with android and blackberry appworld and you could sell a shit ton. I can't believe this hasn't happened yet. People don't steal apps...they buy them.

I'd like to know what people think of this. I've put a lot of thought into this.
11:29 AM on 11/22/10
Iron Curtain
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Interesting article, but as far as I'm concerned, the "industry" got what it deserved by treating their consumers like garbage and their own musicians even worse. It doesn't need saving. It needs to die. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

In its place, we have unsigned artists utilizing iTunes, Bandcamp (my favorite), CDBaby youtube, myspace, spotify, etc. I've heard stories of Artists making tons of money by themselves, most of which on physical or downloadable (I refuse to say "digital" because CDs are also digital) copies sold for pay. There are even cases where an artist would give away his music for free with Creative Commons (like Jonathan Coulton and Nine Inch Nails) and yet still make money on the music because the fans want to support the artist. It's dire for the industry because of them. People don't like middlemen, especially ones that operate in a cartel-like faction. Because we can now give directly to the artist, the major labels (and most labels) are deemed irrelevant with the exception of their legacy. Because of this, I'm glad to see the old model dead, I'd rather give directly to the content creator(s) than a middleman who would sweat his, her or their pay.

Note: I do not condone any sort of piracy, even from the aforementioned major labels. It's just that I'm not sad to see them go and don't want to resurrect them in the slightest.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos